When to tell your family.

Where agnostics and atheists can freely discuss

Moderator: Moderators

Confused
Site Supporter

When to tell your family.

Post #1

Post by Confused »

Does anyone have an opinon as to what age is appropriate to tell your child you are an atheist and don't beleive in God.
What we do for ourselves dies with us,
What we do for others and the world remains
and is immortal.

-Albert Pine
Never be bullied into silence.
Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
Accept no one persons definition of your life; define yourself.

-Harvey Fierstein

AliB

I'm confused too

Post #2

Post by AliB »

Confused:
I'm confused. Are you rearing children as theists? Children may choose to be theists at sometime, but they should be taught to think, be logical, and question everything first. Teaching them to be theists is child abuse in my book.

AliB

I'm confused too

Post #3

Post by AliB »

Confused:
I'm confused too. Are you thinking of rearing your children as theists? I'm new to this board and don't know how to look at your history yet. Perhaps you've left your previous beliefs and have a difficult time coming out to your family? I know I had a difficult time telling my parents and I didn't tell my grandparents, but all did go well. For those younger than me in my family, I'm proud to say that they are logical, rational, people. I would wish that everyone was taught to think, be rational, understand how others deceive, etc., long before they were introduced to things like god. My advice is tell them as soon as you can and tell them why you think the way you do.
Good Luck and Best Wishes

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Re: When to tell your family.

Post #4

Post by McCulloch »

Confused wrote:Does anyone have an opinon as to what age is appropriate to tell your child you are an atheist and don't beleive in God.
I don't believe that we should ever deceive our children. I don't think that we should tell them that there really is a Santa Claus or a God. My one son would not understand nor care, my other son knows.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

bernee51
Site Supporter

Re: When to tell your family.

Post #5

Post by bernee51 »

Confused wrote:Does anyone have an opinon as to what age is appropriate to tell your child you are an atheist and don't beleive in God.
My son has grown up knowing my position. When he asked questions I answered them as honestly as I could. Questions like 'who is god'?' were answered with "some people beleive... others believe...I don't believe....". I.e. show that there is and always has been a wide diversity of belief and express as simply as possible the reasons why you may not. Don't worry too much about whterh you think a nine year old will understand. She will most probably take on board what she can deal with and file the rest away.

My son is now 16 and considers himself an atheist but is respectful of the rights of others to express their religion but not to oppress with religion. He is actually quite critical of people like Dawkins who, to him, engage too much in polemics. Though he loves a good 'argument'. As part of his first year in senior high (he is studying for the International Baccalaureate) he is doing a course called 'Theory of knowledge". It gives us plenty of opportunity to engage in same.
"Whatever you are totally ignorant of, assert to be the explanation of everything else"

William James quoting Dr. Hodgson

"When I see I am nothing, that is wisdom. When I see I am everything, that is love. My life is a movement between these two."

Nisargadatta Maharaj

Vladd44
Sage

Post #6

Post by Vladd44 »

I cannot imagine why anyone would choose not to tell their child about the god myth from the beginning.
When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.[GOD] ‑ 1 Cor 13:11
WinMX, BitTorrent and other p2p issues go to http://vladd44.com

Furrowed Brow
Site Supporter

Post #7

Post by Furrowed Brow »

The OP implies that theism might somehow be the default belief sytem that atheism breaks away from. I suppose things might be a bit different over here in the UK than the US. On the whole we are secular bunch. I certainly feel there is zero stigma being an atheist, or that anyone's job would be on the line because of it. However I have worked with people who are religious but keep quiet about it, for fear of being seen as "God Squad" who might be out to convert others or put a cloud over others people fun.

My son has grown up always aware that I am an atheist. At the moment he seems to be an atheist, which pleases me, not because he has swallowed atheism dogmatically, but rather he follows a line of questioning that I think is sound. But ultimately he will have to find his own way. What is more important is that he has seen - not that I am an atheist - but that I question things and how I go about questioning things.

As for Santa Claus. I think there is no real issue pretending there is Santa Claus when you children are v young. It is kind of fun for them and you. That said, by the time my son started school age 5 he knew there was no Santa Claus and proceeded to tell the rest of his class. A crime for which the mothers of the other children gave me it in the neck, as they had not told their kids.

The Project Hate
Student

Post #8

Post by The Project Hate »

In my opinion, you should tell him as soon as you think he/she would understand and care about the issue.

I have a question, though.
Do you have a child already ? Since you didn't tell him anything yet, do you bring your child to the church even if you're an atheist ? I'd think that would be ridiculous.

If I'd have a child, he'd raise him as an atheist. I'll try to make him think on his own by developping his knowledge.
If he chooses to believe in whatever god later ( even in the flying spaghetti monster :roll: ), then that would be his call. I'd be piss at him, though.

Confused
Site Supporter

Post #9

Post by Confused »

As with Mc, my son wouldn't know the difference. However, my 9 year old daughter goes to sunday school occasionally with her friend. Granted, I think it is more about peer approval and popularity than it is about spirituality, but I am not sure that it would be beneficial to explain my foundation to her. She looks forward to those things and while I probably shouldn't have let her start going to begin with, the damage is already done. I have learned to just say "I don't know" when she asks questions about the bible etc..... But at 9, she still thinks she is going to marry a prince. I am not in favor of destroying her imagination by giving her a lesson in the cold hard reality of life. Nor am I in favor of making her feel like a social outcast since where I live, you can't go a block without seeing another church, and in her class last year, there wasn't a single parent not Christian, aside from me.

I understand not perpetuating fantasy etc.... But I also don't think we should force our children to see adult views any sooner than we have to. As it is, kids have less time to be a kid.
and is immortal.

-Albert Pine

-Harvey Fierstein

Confused
Site Supporter

Post #10

Post by Confused »

Vladd44 wrote:I cannot imagine why anyone would choose not to tell their child about the god myth from the beginning.
Thats because your gf is poisoning you. It makes it very difficult to think clearly let alone imagine solutions to complex things (except the moms bedroom window you are stuck in)..

LMAO!!!!!!
and is immortal.

-Albert Pine

-Harvey Fierstein