A silly question

Where agnostics and atheists can freely discuss

Moderator: Moderators

OnceConvinced
Savant

A silly question

Post #1

Post by OnceConvinced »

I see the group "Former Athiest" and I can't help but think to myself that all people are born athiests. But then I thought maybe not because an athiest is someone who does not believe in God. Not necessarily someone who has never heard of God.

So what do you class someone as who has never heard of a concept called God. ie. a young child or someone who lives somewhere where the topic of God is non-existant (if there is such a place)

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

catalyst
Site Supporter

Post #11

Post by catalyst »

realthinker wrote:
First of all "touched" is a bit euphemistic. Ignorant is, in my opinion, far more appropriate, of the terms offered. I think "godless" would be perhaps more appropriate still.
I suppose that is where we differ in understanding as the concept of "godless" only comes from those with the knowledge of the concept of "god". My "untouched" definition entirely leaves the "god" part out of the equation as there is no "god" concept to be "less" of.
Secondly, since you've declared that you won't list those places,
AND I would like to validate why. Having been through the "mill" of taughtology as to the "god" concept, both personally in my own life journey, but also witness to the end result the religious colonisation of TOUCHED places bring, I don't want to be party to those still UNTOUCHED to have to change their own ways in ANY way. As I said they are doing life just fine and dandy without that external influence.
I'd then like to know your basis for the the idea that there are places that have no concept of God. To be isolated enough to not be influenced by the concept of God it would have to be a community, smaller still than what we'd generally term a society. The documentaries I've seen or articles I've read about such isolated communities have left me with the impression that spiritualism on the order of religion is present in pretty much every one of them. Given no further facts I'd dismiss your claim that there are societies with no God concept. I've no particular facts on which to base that dismissal, but I think that's in line with your baseless claim.
I suppose then perhaps your own personal interpretation and understanding is coming to the fore as it appears you are confusing the concept of spiritualism with that of some "god" concept, which I assume by your comments are intertwined for all and that in itself is purely dependent on your own personal "idea" of what god "could" allegedly be to YOU, even as a purported atheist (my your own label on your profile). I suppose though to simplify the things I have witnessed for you, is to put it into an "accepted" theist basket and perhaps, reluctantly label it (for your benefit), a loose pantheist approach, however IN that they don't actually even worship or do ceremonial dances or festivals, for anything beyond the celebration of themselves and what they do for self, they just accept it. I doubt if that makes any sense to you at all, "realthinker". Too, if you choose to dismiss my comments (which is a strange kind of dismissal considering you replied to TELL me you were "dismissing" :blink:) , frankly is of no consequence to me, OR to those still untouched :P .

Angel

Re: A silly question

Post #12

Post by Angel »

OnceConvinced wrote:I see the group "Former Athiest" and I can't help but think to myself that all people are born athiests. But then I thought maybe not because an athiest is someone who does not believe in God. Not necessarily someone who has never heard of God.

So what do you class someone as who has never heard of a concept called God. ie. a young child or someone who lives somewhere where the topic of God is non-existant (if there is such a place)
The word *ignostic* fits, although the term is not in some dictionaries but I did find it defined online.

Ignostic: 2. Someone who professes ignorance on the knowledge of whether or not any gods exist, or even what the term means.

Source:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=ignostic