Where agnostics and atheists can freely discuss

Moderator: Moderators

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

The "Worm Thread"

Post #1

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Far be it for me to argue about how to be civil, but this one we gotta discuss. There is a thread here:
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... php?t=8816
Odd question, I know, but I'm curious. Options again are
A) I believe in God, but I'm kind of not sure even though I sometimes pretend I am.
B) I've seen pictures of God! He's a giant Martian Worm that loves me!
This doesn't really do much to advance our cause I don't believe. It has nothing to do with religious folks' understanding of their God, and much to just inflame them. While I can see the funny, it is lost on those who hold their God to such high regard.

I am requesting atheists who share my view will give their opinion here, and hopefully in that thread.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

C-Nub
Scholar

Post #2

Post by C-Nub »

I would like to state, for the record, that the whole 'giant worm on mars' aspect of the question is lifted word for word from a book which poses the same question. As the guy who started the thread, I'm obviously not going to come out against it, but it wasn't meant to be offensive or rude, I was genuinely interested in the thesis behind the attempt to be funny.

Beto

Post #3

Post by Beto »

I got the impression the answers are meant to reveal something, and weren't just to make fun of believers. I thought it was to figure out who rather be sure of an absurdity than having any sort of doubt, or something like that.

Homicidal_Cherry53
Sage

Post #4

Post by Homicidal_Cherry53 »

I really didn't see anything wrong with that post. The second option is as ridiculous as it is to emphasize the fact that the second option would be something completely different from their current conception of God, and something they clearly do not want to think of God as.

Many theists hold their God in high regard. This question sought to answer whether or not they would still want to believe in God if they knew for a fact that he was something they did not hold in high regard. Truly, I don't understand why C-Nub is getting so much heat for this.

C-Nub
Scholar

Post #5

Post by C-Nub »

I should point out, I have no problem with this being brought up here, even if its my head on the proverbial chopping block (a bit melodramatic, but you get the point.)

I think its important that we address issues like this amongst ourselves, and there isn't one of us that can tell the people who object to some (or all) of what I said that they're 'wrong' to feel or see it that way.

While I am relieved that, thus far, people don't seem to think I was out of line, there's no denying now that it was close enough to be worth investigating, and I for one am glad that we're, as a group, making the effort to address the possibility, and should I be found to be somewhat misbehaved, the consequences of that as well.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #6

Post by JoeyKnothead »

It's settled then, since this was a joke in the atheist mindset, and C-Nub has fessed up to his errant ways; I propose he point towards his nearest library and do five hale Darwins.

(edited cause the old type 'and' twice trick)
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

C-Nub
Scholar

Post #7

Post by C-Nub »

Hail Darwin, bearded Face, the finches are with thee;
Chosen for us by evolution,
Praised be the fruit of thy dome, The Origin Of Species,
Un-Holy Darwin, Deny-er of God,
Think of us rationalists now,
And at the hour of our death
...Thanks.

I'm only saying it once because I had to go through the process of making it up.