Where Christians can get together and discuss

Moderator: Moderators

scottlittlefield17
Site Supporter

How can you consider yourself a Christian

Post #1

Post by scottlittlefield17 »

Basically there are two things in the statement of faith:
1. We believe the Bible to be from God and is the basis for the Christian life.
2. We believe Jesus Christ saves us and he alone atones for our sins.

If you accept these, you can be a member of the church.

What one believes on eschatology, evolution, baptism of Holy Spirit, homosexuality, abortion, politics, drinking alcohol, baptism by dunking or sprinkling are all not important. None of these issues determine if you're a Christian or not.

Emphasis would not be on doctrine. That is, it's not imperative to know what is right. But more emphasis would be on living what is right. Teachings should not be on gaining head knowledge, but on being applicable to daily life.
How can you believe that and still be a Christian Otseng? Don't you read the Bible? What about 1 Corinthians 6:9-10
"Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the Kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanders nor swindlers will inherit the Kingdom of God."
1 Corinthians 6:18-20
Flee form sexual immorality. All other sins a man commits are outside his body, but he who sins sexually sins against his own body. Do you not know that our body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with you bodies.
Yes you say you believe in Jesus but, Matthew 7:21
Not everyone who says to me, Lord, Lord, will enter the kingdom of Heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father in heaven. Many will say to me on that day, Lord, Lord did we not prophecy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles? Then I will tell them plainly, I never knew you. Away from me you evil doers.
Just believing in Jesus is not enough. We must do the will of his Father in heaven as it is laid out for us in the New Testament. You say you love Jesus but what about John 14:15 and 15:10,
If you love me you will obey what I command
If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love just as I have obeyed my Fathers commands and remain in his love"
Also Matthew 7:18
A good tree cannot bear bad fruit...every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. Thus by their fruit you will recognize them.
That verse is referencing works. Simple belief is not enough. James 2:14
What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds. 17b Faith by itself, if is not accompanied by action, is dead. 19a You believe in God. Good! Even the demons believe that-and shudder. You foolish man, do you want evidence that faith without deeds is useless? 24 You see that a person is justified by what he does and not by faith alone. 26 As the body without the spirit is dead so faith without deeds is dead.
In Revelation 22:15 Jesus says,
Outside are the dogs, those who practice magic arts, the sexually immoral, the murderers, the idolaters, and everyone who loves and practices falsehood.
In light of those verses I cannot see how you can say that you are a Christian yet ignore the direct commands of scripture. And say that the very things that Paul and Jesus say will send you to the lake of fire you say is not a requirement!
“Life is really simple as far as I’m concerned. There is no luck, you work hard and study things intently. If you do that for long and hard enough you’re successful.�
"The more well versed in a skill that someone is the luckier they seem to be."

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #11

Post by myth-one.com »

scottlittlefield17 wrote:My whole point is what Paul says. "Should we continue in sin so that grace may abound? God forbid!". The continuing in blatant sin that contradicts the Bible is the issue that I have.
Good morning. Although no religion has a monopoly on leading exemplanary lifestyles, true Christians should be recognizable by the lives they lead with assistance from the Holy Spirit which they receive after becoming Christian.

Not continuing in blatant sin should be one result or "side affect" of Christianity. Wouldn't it be wonderful if when someone was seen feeding the hungry, clothing the naked, taking in the homeless, healing the sick, or visiting the imprisoned -- that person automatically thought, "I bet that person is a Christian."