What Christian Music Is Right

Where Christians can get together and discuss

Moderator: Moderators

juber3
Student

What Christian Music Is Right

Post #1

Post by juber3 »

Hey, currently i'm downloading some christian tunes so i can go to work (i still walk :cry: ) Anyway which type of Gospel music is right? For example i don't like or think that christian rock or christian rap is right and glorifies god. I listen to the old time type of christian music "old rugged cross" "why we sing" "i surrender all" But what type of christian music do you like best?
"Blessed is the nation whose God is the LORD; and the people whom he
hath chosen for his own inheritance." PSALM 33-12

"To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David. The
fool hath said in his heart, There is no
God..... PSALM 13-1"

otseng
Savant

Post #2

Post by otseng »

A 16 year old that listens to "Old rugged cross" and "I surrender all"? And enjoys it too? :?: :!:

I have no problems with Christian rap or rock, though I don't listen to it much. Our church is into the contemporary Christian worship music (SonicFlood, MercyMe, etc). I don't see anything wrong with the contemporary stuff except for one big thing, they all sound pretty much the same. I-IV-V chord progression is getting quite boring. Also they need to write more songs in the minor key.

Currently, I'm trying to master "Amazing Grace" on my harmonica. One thing cool about Amazing Grace is that you can start playing it on three notes: C, D, and G. It truly is amazing.

WishICouldFly

Post #3

Post by WishICouldFly »

Hey juper3, nice to meet you! Of course we all have our own tastes in music, but just curious, why dont you think that Christian rock or rap is right and glorifies God?

supergirl

Post #4

Post by supergirl »

there is no wrong or right music to listen to you can listen as you choose
if its christian music it should glorify God because thats what christian about it. rock, rap, hynms all glorify god really its your music preference
Juber3 i have a question: are you homeschooled?

adherent
Apprentice

Post #5

Post by adherent »

Sonicflood and MercyMe is some good stuff. Do you guys have christian hit radio and total access?

obsessed

Christian Music

Post #6

Post by obsessed »

I personally think that as long as the words in a song are glorifying to God, it's okay to listen to that music. Nobody is goin' wanna listen to music with you if all you listen to is :roll: 18th century hymns. I mean, they're glorifying and all but kids and people nowdays like a beat. And the good thing is that people can't say that they don't listen to Christian 'cause it don't got a beat like rock, punk, rap, pop, and heavy metal. People wanna listen to the music and feel good, not listen to the Hallejuah Chorus.[/i]

emmy27sf
Student

Post #7

Post by emmy27sf »

Totally 8) Christian rock and rap is all i listen to. It helps me get through so much in my life music is a place to escape to and its great because its positive lyrics. it says in the Bible make a joyful noise unto the Lord. no i think that you could just bark or w/e as long as its to the Lord and his glory that it is glorifying. Gospel is awsome but some rock and rap groups have redone some songs you should try them out.

Here are some good groups
Skillet
Kutless
Lifehouse
Third Day
EastWest
Pillar
Tait
Toby Mac
Jonah33
Pod
Swithfoot
Grits
Holy Culture

Chancellor

Re: What Christian Music Is Right

Post #8

Post by Chancellor »

juber3 wrote:Hey, currently i'm downloading some christian tunes so i can go to work (i still walk :cry: ) Anyway which type of Gospel music is right? For example i don't like or think that christian rock or christian rap is right and glorifies god. I listen to the old time type of christian music "old rugged cross" "why we sing" "i surrender all" But what type of christian music do you like best?
But are you legally downloading it?

Piper Plexed
Site Supporter

Post #9

Post by Piper Plexed »

Thought you folks might get a kick out of this, were you aware the the lead singer of the "Violent Femmes" 80's 90's progressive/Punk Band is a devoted Practicing Christian. To respect his privacy I will not reveal what sect he is a member of as I know this personally not through the media. I believe many folks assumed he was being Avant Garde when he references his saviour in his lyrics, as in such notable tunes ie. "Jesus walkin on the Water" etc.. If you are aware of the music, give it another listen, it is quite interesting and really explores the human condition. Please if you find some of it graphic or shocking, please don't forget mankind can be very graphic and shocking, though we are loved.
*"I think, therefore I am" (Cogito, ergo sum)-Descartes
** I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that ...

Illyricum
Apprentice

Re: What Christian Music Is Right

Post #10

Post by Illyricum »

juber3 wrote:Hey, currently i'm downloading some christian tunes so i can go to work (i still walk :cry: ) Anyway which type of Gospel music is right? For example i don't like or think that christian rock or christian rap is right and glorifies god. I listen to the old time type of christian music "old rugged cross" "why we sing" "i surrender all" But what type of christian music do you like best?

Hey Juber3, I also enjoy listening to hymns (some of my favorites are "Amazing Grace" "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing" "Blessed Assurance" ) but also enjoy listening to contempary christian music (Third Day, MercyMe, Casting Crowns, Rebecca St.James, ect.). I don't think that listening to [christen] rap or rock is nessecerily wrong. I believe that it's not the music that really matters as much as it's lyrics. If the song only has a few words in it, ( like let's say the song just says "God rocks" the whole song) I don't really see how that's glorifing to God.
So from Jerusalem all the way around to Illyricum, I have fully proclaimed the gospel of Christ.

Romans 15:19