Antichrist
No votes

Total votes: 8

ConiectoErgoSum
Apprentice

Paul

Post #1

Post by ConiectoErgoSum »

many people have various views on the credibility of the apostle Paul, mostly because his writings often seem to conflict with those of James and other apostles and even some of the gospels. to what extent was Paul inspired by the holy spirit?

do you think his writings are the direct word of God (i.e. Paul sat down in a room with a pen and listened as God told him things), or did the holy spirit speak through Paul as it speaks through modern people by affecting his understanding, or was Paul a deceiver (well-intentioned or not) who twisted the words of Christ (accidentally or otherwise)?

i really haven't made an opinion yet on it, but what are people's thoughts?

Goose

Re: Paul

Post #2

Post by Goose »

Hi ConiectoErgoSum, :greetings:
ConiectoErgoSum wrote:many people have various views on the credibility of the apostle Paul, mostly because his writings often seem to conflict with those of James and other apostles and even some of the gospels.
Yes, Paul's credibility tends to be attacked often. I've noticed it usually comes from:
  • a. detractors of the Bible in general and;
    b. Christians on the more liberal end of the spectrum.
I've also noticed that the alleged conflicts between Paul's writings and others tend to be either an interpretation/context issue or simply over stated. At the same time ignoring the points where there is agreement.
to what extent was Paul inspired by the holy spirit?
Probably to the same extent other NT writers were.
do you think his writings are the direct word of God (i.e. Paul sat down in a room with a pen and listened as God told him things),
I think his writings were the inspired word of God. I would hesitate to call his writings the "direct word of God" in the sense you have described where he sat in a room and listened to God tell him stuff.
or did the holy spirit speak through Paul as it speaks through modern people by affecting his understanding,
I do believe God "speaks" to us. But I think the real issue here is what constitutes authoritative.
or was Paul a deceiver (well-intentioned or not) who twisted the words of Christ (accidentally or otherwise)?
I've found no evidence that suggests Paul was a deceiver. At no point in the early church is Paul considered heretical.
i really haven't made an opinion yet on it, but what are people's thoughts?
I think, in large part, Paul tends to get a bad shake because it is difficult, if not impossible, reconciling the often controversial positions taken in Paul's letters on some subjects, such as homosexuality for example, with the worldly position on those subjects. That's my opinion...