We Christians need to be more careful!

Where Christians can get together and discuss

Moderator: Moderators

scottlittlefield17
Site Supporter

We Christians need to be more careful!

Post #1

Post by scottlittlefield17 »

It seems that the Christians are getting probation and banned on a much greater level than the others are. That is SAD! We should be the ones who respond to things civilly and respectfully even without the added pressure of moderators. I mean come on people straiten out! What type of witness are we trying to leave? A hardheaded bullish type of argumentation style?

otseng
Savant

Post #2

Post by otseng »

Maybe I should make it mandatory for Christians to take the Online Debating School - Fundamentals Class. :-k

Slopeshoulder
Banned
Banned

Post #3

Post by Slopeshoulder »

I see greater evidence of pathology expressed via a twisted christianity than actual Christianity among those banned. I'd argue for even tighter rules.
To me, the answer isn't politeness, it's education.

WinePusher

Post #4

Post by WinePusher »

otseng wrote:Maybe I should make it mandatory for Christians to take the Online Debating School - Fundamentals Class. :-k
What about the atheists? There are just as many atheists on here who walk around with an attitude of intellectual superiority and a mocking tone.

In my opinion, the problem christians have is not substantiating their claims with evidence other then the bible and using circular logic to respond to objections.

And the problem with atheists are their condescending attitudes.

otseng
Savant

Post #5

Post by otseng »

winepusher wrote: What about the atheists? There are just as many atheists on here who walk around with an attitude of intellectual superiority and a mocking tone.
That may be. But our response should be:

1 Peter 3:15 - 16 But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and [be] ready always to [give] an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear: having a good conscience; that, whereas they speak evil of you, as of evildoers, they may be ashamed that falsely accuse your good conversation in Christ.

Kendalf
Site Supporter

Post #6

Post by Kendalf »

That's a good reminder, otseng, something that I'll have to keep in mind in my current ongoing debates.
It is at her centre, where her truest children dwell, that each communion is really closest to every other in spirit, if not in doctrine. And this suggests that at the centre of each there is something, or a Someone, who against all divergences of belief, all differences of temperament, all memories of mutual persecution, speaks with the same voice.� C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

TheFoolForHimAboveAll
Student

Post #7

Post by TheFoolForHimAboveAll »

In my opinion, the problem christians have is not substantiating their claims with evidence other then the bible and using circular logic to respond to objections.
That's probably because Christians have no other claims than the bible. The only problem with this is with people who don't believe the bible as a historical or divine document, and demand physical or scientifical proof, in which case Christians are screwed.
It just feels like they are waiting for the tiniest thing to attack someone else with. I've noticed several instances of a Loaded question, and other forms of bad logic.

Still, if Christ be for us...

Kuan
Site Supporter

Post #8

Post by Kuan »

Dont they have the dead sea scrolls, that can provide some help.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
- Voltaire

Kung may ayaw, may dahilan. Kung may gusto, may paraan.

Slopeshoulder
Banned
Banned

Post #9

Post by Slopeshoulder »

TheFoolForHimAboveAll wrote:
That's probably because Christians have no other claims than the bible. The only problem with this is with people who don't believe the bible as a historical or divine document, and demand physical or scientifical proof, in which case Christians are screwed.

Why would Christians be limited to the bible, literalist claims, and circular reasoning? Why wouldn't Christians use every book ever published in all fields? Doesn't modern apogetics require that? It worked for aquinas and neihbur and de chardin and countless others. Being learned is cost of entry to debate with those who deny the bible at face value.

Jester
Prodigy

Post #10

Post by Jester »

WinePusher wrote:What about the atheists? There are just as many atheists on here who walk around with an attitude of intellectual superiority and a mocking tone.

I'd say that the real test of our civility is how we respond to uncivil remarks. Nearly anyone can be polite to a polite person and, yes, it is natural to be rude to a rude person. But, I say, let's be different.

To steal words from the master:
For if you love those who love you, what reward do you have? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? And if you greet only your brothers, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? Therefore you are to be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect.
We must continually ask ourselves whether victory has become more central to our goals than truth.