Where Christians can get together and discuss

Moderator: Moderators

Slopeshoulder
Banned
Banned

Powerful tools for debate!

Post #1

Post by Slopeshoulder »

Here's the atheists actual "soft spot" when it comes to debate: they limit themselves to the "evidence theory" of truth and use it as a sledgehammer against all literal or unsupported truth claims.
So we get the useless spectacle of circular logic and literalisms coming from the christians and evidentiary reductionsism coming from the athiests.

Debate, humanity, and God deserve better.

Here's a tip:
- go to wikipedia and search "fideism." Within that article click on the links in the list of other theories of truth (correspondance, coherence, etc)
- then search "anti-foundationalism" and click on and study every theory in the "see also" list.
- Then search "post-liberalism" and study that, also checking out the related links.
- Also "Analytic Philosophy" scrolling down to the section on analytical philopsophy of religion.
- Also "higher criticism"
- "Rudolph Otto" and be sure to check out the great section of related articles at the bottom
- "Mircea Eliade" but scroll down to "The Scholar" section
- and check out the book "Postmodernity: Christian Identity in a Fragmented Age (1997)" by Paul Lakeland
- and this: http://www.religion-online.org/showarticle.asp?title=58

Trust me. This will raise the game. Everybody will benefit. Well worth an evening or 20.
Enjoy!!!! Great stuff. And good luck.

EduChris
Prodigy

Re: Powerful tools for debate!

Post #2

Post by EduChris »

Slopeshoulder wrote:...Trust me. This will raise the game. Everybody will benefit...
I concur.

EasternSP
Apprentice

Post #3

Post by EasternSP »

On the other hand, you can ask the holy spirit for the right words when ya need them. Sorta like young David when he prepared to fight Goliath. He didn't have experience with the battle sword or proper wear of armor. He trusted the lord for what he needed in the moment of battle.

Kuan
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by Kuan »

EasternSP wrote:On the other hand, you can ask the holy spirit for the right words when ya need them. Sorta like young David when he prepared to fight Goliath. He didn't have experience with the battle sword or proper wear of armor. He trusted the lord for what he needed in the moment of battle.
The lord also wants us to be prepared. If you just expect him to do the work for you, he wont. You go out and do your best, which includes probably looking into this. Then the holy spirit will give you help to reach farther.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
- Voltaire

Kung may ayaw, may dahilan. Kung may gusto, may paraan.

NashuLee
Student

Post #5

Post by NashuLee »

I will for sure be checking this out tonight!!!