What Christian Denomination Do You Guys Belong To?

Where Christians can get together and discuss

Moderator: Moderators

WinePusher

What Christian Denomination Do You Guys Belong To?

Post #1

Post by WinePusher »

What Denominational church to the christians on here belong to?

I am a practicing Roman Catholic who attends a traditional Catholic Church.

otseng
Savant

Post #2

Post by otseng »

I don't "belong" to any particular denomination right now. But, I've been a member of a Charismatic, Presbyterian, Evangelical Free, and Southern Baptist churches.

Slopeshoulder
Banned
Banned

Post #3

Post by Slopeshoulder »

Non-denominational, not a church goer, Xty is a lens in my lens set, devout Catholic background, Catholic mindset in several ways.
I messed around with Congregationalist/UCC in my youth and UU more recently. Neither are for me.

WinePusher

Post #4

Post by WinePusher »

Slopeshoulder wrote:Non-denominational, not a church goer, Xty is a lens in my lens set, devout Catholic background, Catholic mindset in several ways.
I messed around with Congregationalist/UCC in my youth and UU more recently. Neither are for me.
I notice you belong to the Buddhist usergroup? May I ask why?

Slopeshoulder
Banned
Banned

Post #5

Post by Slopeshoulder »

WinePusher wrote:
Slopeshoulder wrote:Non-denominational, not a church goer, Xty is a lens in my lens set, devout Catholic background, Catholic mindset in several ways.
Sure.
I don't practice Buddhism AT ALL. It's too foreign for me to formally sign up and I really really try to bring out my own tradition (which BTW the Dalai Lama recommends; like Jews, they don't seek converts and suggest one bloom in place and "worship" God where we find him/her/it.). But I really like the thinking in Buddhism. To keep it brief, I love its epistemology, its sense that all is perspective and therefore illusory, its sense of detachment, its extremely clear eyed honesty and strength, its deep intellectual challenges, and its focus on compassion.
I take none of it's myths literally (e.g. reincarnation), and I must admit I find often it a little austere for my romantic sensibilities. It also really enhances my appreciation and experience of Christianity and I see Jesus and Siddhartha (the christ and the buddha) as kindred spirits in many ways. Approaching Christianity with a Buddhist-informed mindset made it come alive in new ways for me. It also makes a lot of Jesus' paradoxical statements in the gospels make more sense and become more powerful to me. And it hasn't led to an heresy on my part, although ratzinger might beg to differ on a few technical points.

BTW, as a fellow Catholic, you may be interested in the writings of Thomas Merton, particularly Contemplative Prayer and also Mystics and Zen Masters. Also, a Catholic named Wayne Teasdale wrote and was informed by Hinduism (Buddhism's predecessor and cradle); his book is called the Mystic Heart. There's also a Catholic named Bede Griffiths, a British Catholic who I mean to start reading soon. Lastly, my wife alerted me to some good academic articles favorably comparing Catholicism and Daoism, focusing on a equinimous attitude toward nature, but I can't put my hands on them right now.

Generally speaking, whether it is food, music, culture or religion, I really love what happens in border regions, in the fusions, overlaps, and mutations. Moghuls, Sihks, Santaria, Bahai, armenian, coptic, ancient afghani and chinese christianity. But that's another topic.

Slopeshoulder
Banned
Banned

Post #6

Post by Slopeshoulder »

BTW, Winepusher, may I inquire why you asked me your follow up question? And what you make of or do with my reply?

EduChris
Prodigy

Re: What Christian Denomination Do You Guys Belong To?

Post #7

Post by EduChris »

WinePusher wrote:What Denominational church to the christians on here belong to?...
My church is a member of two denominations: BGC and CCCC

WinePusher

Post #8

Post by WinePusher »

Slopeshoulder wrote:
WinePusher wrote:
Sure.
I don't practice Buddhism AT ALL. It's too foreign for me to formally sign up and I really really try to bring out my own tradition (which BTW the Dalai Lama recommends; like Jews, they don't seek converts and suggest one bloom in place and "worship" God where we find him/her/it.). But I really like the thinking in Buddhism. To keep it brief, I love its epistemology, its sense that all is perspective and therefore illusory, its sense of detachment, its extremely clear eyed honesty and strength, its deep intellectual challenges, and its focus on compassion.
I take none of it's myths literally (e.g. reincarnation), and I must admit I find often it a little austere for my romantic sensibilities. It also really enhances my appreciation and experience of Christianity and I see Jesus and Siddhartha (the christ and the buddha) as kindred spirits in many ways. Approaching Christianity with a Buddhist-informed mindset made it come alive in new ways for me. It also makes a lot of Jesus' paradoxical statements in the gospels make more sense and become more powerful to me. And it hasn't led to an heresy on my part, although ratzinger might beg to differ on a few technical points.

BTW, as a fellow Catholic, you may be interested in the writings of Thomas Merton, particularly Contemplative Prayer and also Mystics and Zen Masters. Also, a Catholic named Wayne Teasdale wrote and was informed by Hinduism (Buddhism's predecessor and cradle); his book is called the Mystic Heart. There's also a Catholic named Bede Griffiths, a British Catholic who I mean to start reading soon. Lastly, my wife alerted me to some good academic articles favorably comparing Catholicism and Daoism, focusing on a equinimous attitude toward nature, but I can't put my hands on them right now.

Generally speaking, whether it is food, music, culture or religion, I really love what happens in border regions, in the fusions, overlaps, and mutations. Moghuls, Sihks, Santaria, Bahai, armenian, coptic, ancient afghani and chinese christianity. But that's another topic.
Oh, sorry I didn't respond. Just found it interesting that you belong to two religious usergroups. Do you consider yourself a pluralist?

I used to be buddhist, and I agree that buddhist ethical teachings do certainly mirror christians ethical teachings. I like your views on religion and think more christians should be open to other religious philosophies, luckily I think the only thing we disagree on is politics which isn't that big of a deal.

ByFaithAlone
Student

Post #9

Post by ByFaithAlone »

I'm a member of a Presbyterian church (PCUSA) but I was baptized UCC and went to a Lutheran School (Missouri Synod). I've also attended quite a few Catholic services because over half my family is Catholic.