Moderator: Moderators

Darias
Guru

My Theism

Post #1

Post by Darias »

Theist: I believe in a god.

Monotheist: I believe in one god.

Abrahamic Monotheist: I believe in the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.

Christian: My belief is rooted in a Christian understanding of God. I believe in Christ as my way to God; my mediator.

Trinity: I'm not sure about this, but neither were early Christians.

Basis for belief: In terms of my religion, tradition, upbringing -- faith. In terms of my theism in general -- reasoning and hope.

Proof? There can be no physical proof of a metaphysical God. If there was, the entity subjugated to human testing would not be divine in any sense.

Proof is irrelevant in determining the existence of God. Any physical "evidence" we have of "God's handiwork" is obviously subjective(because an Atheist can take the same evidence and claim that it is flawed and therefore God doesn't exist because if He did it would be flawless); so again "proof" is irrelevant. The multiverse exists as-is and does not render any proof for or against God's existence.

Therefore, I have determined that I fall under this classification:

Agnostic Theist: I believe, but have no way of proving or knowing 100%.

Do any of you guys believe the same way, or feel you might fall under "Agnostic Theism"?

Or am I just unorthodox?

Or is there a better terminology for my belief system?

Please don't say "hell-bound heretic." :tears:

Kuan
Site Supporter

Re: My Theism

Post #2

Post by Kuan »

Darias wrote:Theist: I believe in a god.

Monotheist: I believe in one god.

Abrahamic Monotheist: I believe in the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.

Christian: My belief is rooted in a Christian understanding of God. I believe in Christ as my way to God; my mediator.

Trinity: I'm not sure about this, but neither were early Christians.

Basis for belief: In terms of my religion, tradition, upbringing -- faith. In terms of my theism in general -- reasoning and hope.

Proof? There can be no physical proof of a metaphysical God. If there was, the entity subjugated to human testing would not be divine in any sense.

Proof is irrelevant in determining the existence of God. Any physical "evidence" we have of "God's handiwork" is obviously subjective(because an Atheist can take the same evidence and claim that it is flawed and therefore God doesn't exist because if He did it would be flawless); so again "proof" is irrelevant. The multiverse exists as-is and does not render any proof for or against God's existence.

Therefore, I have determined that I fall under this classification:

Agnostic Theist: I believe, but have no way of proving or knowing 100%.

Do any of you guys believe the same way, or feel you might fall under "Agnostic Theism"?

Or am I just unorthodox?

Please don't say "hell-bound heretic." :tears:
From what you said I think I belong under the definition too but its probably debatable as is most other things.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
- Voltaire

Kung may ayaw, may dahilan. Kung may gusto, may paraan.

otseng
Savant

Post #3

Post by otseng »

Darias wrote: Do any of you guys believe the same way, or feel you might fall under "Agnostic Theism"?
I actually am very close to what you believe. I would agree that one cannot prove 100% that God exists. However, I believe that I actually do know that God exists. It's not based on proof, but based on sufficient evidence. So, I would not classify myself as an agnostic.
Or am I just unorthodox?
I believe also in one God, but also in the Godhead of God the Father, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit. Though I believe in the Trinity, I might be a bit unorthodox in that I do think it's imperative to be a Trinitarian to be a Christian.
I can't think of any. It's hard to identify a single label to describe one's belief.

Darias
Guru

Post #4

Post by Darias »

otseng wrote:
Darias wrote: Do any of you guys believe the same way, or feel you might fall under "Agnostic Theism"?
I actually am very close to what you believe. I would agree that one cannot prove 100% that God exists. However, I believe that I actually do know that God exists. It's not based on proof, but based on sufficient evidence. So, I would not classify myself as an agnostic.
Or am I just unorthodox?
I believe also in one God, but also in the Godhead of God the Father, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit. Though I believe in the Trinity, I might be a bit unorthodox in that I do think it's imperative to be a Trinitarian to be a Christian.
I can't think of any. It's hard to identify a single label to describe one's belief.
Well, I know in my heart that God is real, but I can't know objectively - and I can't prove it either.

That's why I wanted the term Agnostic Theist instead of just Agnostic.

Slopeshoulder
Banned
Banned

Post #5

Post by Slopeshoulder »

Yup, I'm right there with you.