Is It Absurd To Believe That God Created One Universe?

Where Christians can get together and discuss

Moderator: Moderators

WinePusher

Is It Absurd To Believe That God Created One Universe?

Post #1

Post by WinePusher »

ChaosBorders wrote:I think the idea that an all-powerful being would create just one universe, and that we're the only life in it, is absurd.
Can this statement be justified biblically, theologically, or doctrinally?

Darias
Guru

Post #2

Post by Darias »

Well, gravity caused the big bang, which created our universe.

There is also a popular theory called M-Theory, which suggests that there is a multiverse which eventually gave rise to our own.

The multiverse could be infinitely ancient, or it could have had a beginning, or it could be cyclical.

In any case, since God has no beginning or no end, then it wouldn't matter if the multiverse had a beginning or not.

If it did, and arose naturally, as our own universe did, then that's okay too because God doesn't actually have to wave a finger or mechanically do any sort of magic.

God doesn't exist in a physical realm; He himself isn't composed of any sort of material.

God can still be considered creator because of His omniscience I suppose, but I do not know.

Concerning our universe, mathematically speaking, life has to exist elsewhere. Due to the good numbers, there are plenty of chances that that life could also be sentient like our own.

There are billions of galaxies in our universe - billions of planets and billions of stars...

Why wouldn't God will that other life like ours, different than ours, better or worse than our own, arise?

I'm not saying that Star-trek is a reality; it's not, the aliens are all laughably humanoid because they're all human actors.

But who knows?

The bible is silent on this issue -- but it is also silent on many things.

Doctrine is based upon whatever the Bible says or whatever someone else developed. I know the pope said alien life could exist, that's about it.

Theologically idk either, because theology deals with God, the nature of God, etc -- not so much science and the physical world.