Christian Worship and Ministry

Where Christians can get together and discuss

Moderator: Moderators

WinePusher

Christian Worship and Ministry

Post #1

Post by WinePusher »

I've been wanting to create two threads recently, so here they are:

What type of worship do you enjoy or prefer? Well, Evangelical churches that I've been to, like Rick Warren's church, have Sunday services where a Pastor comes up and preaches about a specific topic and the congregants take notes. I have trouble with this because.....well, is it really worship? I'd say it's bible study, which should be distinct from worship. It's also Pastor-Centered and not really people centered. One of the reasons I stick around my Catholic Church is because the people have a role that is about equal and nearly exceeds the role of the Priest, and we place great emphasis on worshipping and praising God throughout the entire mass. I also don't really appreciate how Evangelical churches split up familes into different sections, like Youth Group and Children's Ministry and Adult study. Anyways, rant over.

Second Topic:

1) What ministries, (if any) do the Christians on here participate and serve in? I teach classes for teens wanting to recieve the Sacrament of Confirmation (a Catholic thing) and bring communion to the sick at a Hospital. Get's tiring sometimes......... :(

otseng
Savant

Re: Christian Worship and Ministry

Post #2

Post by otseng »

WinePusher wrote: What type of worship do you enjoy or prefer? Well, Evangelical churches that I've been to, like Rick Warren's church, have Sunday services where a Pastor comes up and preaches about a specific topic and the congregants take notes.
To me, this is not worship. This is not even church. This is simply getting Bible teaching. Nothing wrong with Bible teaching, but I question that it should be so central for a worship service.

What kind of worship do I enjoy? I enjoy picking up my guitar and singing by myself and worshiping God. I enjoy having a family worship time where we sit around as a family and discuss issues from a Biblical perspective, pray, and sing. I enjoy small intimate groups like a house church setting where several families worship together through sharing, confession, and a communion meal (sharing the Lord's supper).
I have trouble with this because.....well, is it really worship? I'd say it's bible study, which should be distinct from worship. It's also Pastor-Centered and not really people centered.
I have problems with with almost all current expressions of churchianity now. :whistle:
I also don't really appreciate how Evangelical churches split up familes into different sections, like Youth Group and Children's Ministry and Adult study.
I agree. The church that we've been visiting recently does not do this (which is a rarity). They have a family integrated model where the entire family does things together. Sunday school, Sunday service, Bible study, the family is all together.
1) What ministries, (if any) do the Christians on here participate and serve in?
Besides operating this forum, I also give sermons and give presentations at various churches.

Wootah
Savant

Post #3

Post by Wootah »

I think a church service has many many roles. Worship but also teaching. Many people will not hear the word of God until the next service and for others it will be for the first time. I think supporting your church is important as I think God intends that community environment to be a good training ground.

As with all things, it is so easy to idolise and worship is another area. It is not a contest.

EasternSP
Apprentice

Post #4

Post by EasternSP »

I'm kinda in the crowd that worships the lord in a smaller setting. To me, a filled auditorium in corporate song and recital just doesn't present the personal experience with God as does a prayer group of trusted friends.