How pointless is debate?

Where Christians can get together and discuss

Moderator: Moderators

Darias
Guru

How pointless is debate?

Post #1

Post by Darias »

Over the course of the past few months, I have noticed several of my Christian brethren say things like this:
geograptai wrote:. . . there's no point in debating theology with unbelievers.

[...]

[If] you found the Bible to be true and accurate, then we would have a foundation on which to begin. If you do not, then any theological debate we might have would be a fruitless dialogue that would result in absolutely nothing in the end but two people's opinion who aren't any closer to agreeing with each other then when they first began.

[...]

As for the offer to debate, I'll pass. We cannot debate theology if you do not consider the Bible to be true. . . . I don't see the point.
_____
fewwillfindit wrote:. . . I have about 15 hours into a reply to your post above, but I have decided to scrap it. I hate doing this, because I feel that in it I very strongly and adequately demonstrated that my position is Biblically consistent. However, I have said before that I do not debate theology with people who do not believe the Bible. . . .

[...]

I see no point in giving you any more of my time, at least regarding Biblical matters. . . . debating anything Biblical with you is certainly pointless.
_____
AmazingJesusIs wrote:I refuse to debate the Bible and theology with unsaved people. It's pointless.
_____
-----

This attitude concerns me. Two of these posts were addressed to me, a believer -- and while I take no offense at the responses in general, it does make me wonder.

If Christians are unwilling to debate other Christians on important matters of belief, how do they expect to convince non-believers to believe in their world-view?

And second, if Christians are unwilling to discuss the Bible, doctrine, or theology with non-believers, how do they expect anyone to join the faith? Are Christians just hoping people will accept Christ for fear of hell, or out of ignorance of the teachings of the faith?

Third, is this seemingly collective pessimism towards debate the result of the inability to actually support a strong argument, or is it the result of an unwillingness to exchange ideas and admit the possibility of being wrong? Or is it cased by something else?

I'd really like to know. If no one is willing to give an answer, than may I ask, "Why are you here?" After all, this is a forum called Debating Christianity and Religion.

Slopeshoulder
Banned
Banned

Post #61

Post by Slopeshoulder »

otseng wrote: I'm glad someone else can agree with me on this. O:)
Yeah, well you're still a damn fundy. :lol: :lol: O:) :lol:

Slopeshoulder
Banned
Banned

Post #62

Post by Slopeshoulder »

Goose wrote:
otseng wrote:
Slopeshoulder wrote: Can you point to an example where a liberal denied the label Christian to any fundamentalist who claimed it for themselves? I think you may have painted with a broad brush and made an unsubstantiated claim.
Yes, fundies and libs disagree with, disparage and even disrespect each other's verisons of Christianity, but it seems to me pretty darn straightforward that it it NOT OK to cross a line into saying someone isn't a christian, a legitimate christian, or a true Christian. THAT is the civility line right there. I think that is the issue and the crux of Otseng's intervention. Moreover, failure to see that after umpteen explanations seems to me either proving his point about poor debate, intelligence, belligerence or whatever, or stirring the pot for no apparent contructive reason (ahem, Goose, sorry thaz how i seez it :blink: ).
I'm glad someone else can agree with me on this. O:)
Yeah, but do agree with the part where Slopeshoulder subtly implies that I am a poor debater and not intelligent? That I am belligerent and stir the pot for no apparent reason?
Correction, just the second half. And not subtle.

otseng
Savant

Post #63

Post by otseng »

Goose wrote:Yeah, but do agree with the part where Slopeshoulder subtly implies that I am a poor debater and not intelligent?
In my reading of it, I did not see this as being attributed to you.
stir the pot for no apparent reason?
This I did attribute to you since it was only the last part that he specifically mentioned your name.

otseng
Savant

Post #64

Post by otseng »

Slopeshoulder wrote:
otseng wrote: I'm glad someone else can agree with me on this. O:)
Yeah, well you're still a damn fundy. :lol: :lol: O:) :lol:
I don't mind, I've been called worse. :P

Darias
Guru

Post #65

Post by Darias »

This thread is only getting uglier, which is why I asked it be closed earlier. It has totally be derailed, and no one is discussing the questions I brought up -- instead the discussion is revolving around me and other people's right to tell me my personal Christian faith is illegitimate (AKA "you're going to hell") because I don't share their doctrinal assumptions.

Even when other Christians here think that Genesis is allegory (and yet still claim that such a position = Biblical inerrancy) whilst they agree that people who fail to believe every word of the Bible literally are deemed false Christians. Boy that's rich.

And the admin of the site, of all people, is being accused of mis-representing his moderating powers by moderating -- just because some Christians think that ad-hominems are "Biblically based" or [font=Georgia]"he's a 'liberal' and he had it coming because other liberals (it doesn't matter which ones, or where, -- it doesn't even matter that other liberals have nothing to do with Darias -- just that it's a known fact that other liberals) use 'tactics,' so that makes it okay to tell Darias where he should go."[/font]

Look...

If people want to tell me where to go and that "I'm this" or "I'm that" be my guest.

[center]Image[/center]

I don't care anymore. Besides it only reflects on you and your character as a debater. It's not my problem.

Slopeshoulder
Banned
Banned

Post #66

Post by Slopeshoulder »

I am SOOOO supposed to be asleep now, but I can't stop myself...

WinePusher wrote:
Slopeshoulder wrote:Can you point to an example where a liberal denied the label Christian to any fundamentalist who claimed it for themselves?
No, but consider what you're asking. I'll be going off of subjective definitions:
Indeed.
Fundamentalists are those who believe most if not the entirety of Christianity,
Balderdash. They are people who believe the entirely of Christianity in a certain way: literally. traditionally, conservatively.
Liberals are those who believe a moderate amount of Christian tenants and tend to challenge some christian doctrinal beliefs.
Balderdash. They are people who believe the entirely of Christianity in a certain way: symbolically, poetically, liberally. I for one never challenge doctrines, only interpretations and paradigms.
So the question refutes itself.
It sure does. Your subjective definition is a characature and a self-validating circularity. Cute but no cigar. (Don't take on Slopeshoulder, punk :lol: )
Anyways, I've already said that I don't support Christians judging other Christians as non-Christians.

Fair enough and accepted. I acknowledge that (although Darias might have a point...?)
But what I have seen are liberals who deny the label of rationality and critical thinking to fundamentalists.
Partially true. But that is not the same as saying they are not Christian.
Technically to be human is to be rational and think critically, but fundamentalists are notorius for doing so in a lazy and unimpressive fashion that fails to connect with those outside their orbit, usually manifesting a kind of leveling or know-nothingism behind a gloss of reason. (Of course, this is not to say that religionists need to buy into a reductionistic rationalist definition of reason. There's a middle ground.) But they are Christians! They affirm doctrine, live into faith and from faith, mostly nice folks, praying to the same God. Wrong in many ways IMO, but Christians for sure. They may not be correct IMO, but they are true.
Slopeshoulder wrote:Yes, fundies and libs disagree with, disparage and even disrespect each other's verisons of Christianity, but it seems to me pretty darn straightforward that it it NOT OK to cross a line into saying someone isn't a christian, a legitimate christian, or a true Christian.
What if someone claimed they were a Christian and yet did not believe Jesus Christ was our Lord and Savior who rose from the dead, the prequisite belief for any Christians (IMO) I think it's fair game to call out that person.
You might be surprised. For example, I personally affirm the doctrine of the resurrection enthusiastically. I affirm that without the ressurection our faith is dead, that this is the crux and absolute core of the Christian religion: the defeat of death through self-sacrifical love, courage, authenticity and only-god-could-do-it action. But I just don't think it happened literally and with historicity, but rather symbolically or mystically. So I am orthodox, just not literalist. And these are NOT the same. Literalism is not a requirement for orthodoxy. This mistake is often made by fundamentalists. So in a surprise move, I actually affirm 99% of orthodoxy, and would be recognized for this by the Pope himself, I and many like me are (including many clergy). We do tend to keep our yaps shut and only talk to each other and the initiated on these topics so as not to shake up the faithful, but I figure at DC&R is fair game (heat and kitchens etc); sorry is that has shaken up some of the faithful. Actually, there's just one or two areas where the Pope and I could have a good chin wag and he might give me a smack down, having to do with Christology. But I am struggling mightly to understand Raimon Pannikar's Christophany in a bid to remain orthodox on those points as well.
EDIT: Doctrines are part of the deposit of faith, and faith is what we abide in and invest with our trust. It doesn't mean we take them literally and historicallly if we don't want to. They are simply what we live in, what defines us, what shapes us, what we affirm and align with and invest with ultimate trust. And I do. See? Orthodox.
So again, you assume a fundamentalist set of criteria and apply it broadly, missing crucial distinctions and possibilities, and mistaking it for the entirely of christianity itself. It's not that simple. Or that circular.
Slopeshoulder wrote:THAT is the civility line right there. I think that is the issue and the crux of Otseng's intervention. Moreover, failure to see that after umpteen explanations seems to me either proving his point about poor debate, intelligence, belligerence or whatever, or stirring the pot for no apparent contructive reason (ahem, Goose, sorry thaz how i seez it :blink: ).
I don't believe you're a Christian (even though you claim to be one) because of reasons X, Y and Z. That was the crux of AmazingJesus' post.

I believe Fundamentalist Christians are wrong and misrepresent Christianity (even though they claim to be "true" Christians) for reasons X, Y and Z. That's the crux of liberal Christianity. Why is the former prohibited but the latter permissable?
Because, as Otseng, our wise leader and my favorite fundamentalist, has pointed out, the former is a judgment regarding one's status as a Christian and the latter is an opinion as to one's position as a Christian.

See how distinctions made make all the difference?
Last edited by Slopeshoulder on Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Goose

Post #67

Post by Goose »

otseng wrote:
Goose wrote:But that doesn’t fix the issue of inconsistently applying the rules in regards to making inferences about other members.
What inference am I making?
Allow me to remind you.
otseng wrote:Yes, I made a judgment that he does not seem to be able to understand this rule because I had already given a warning, yet he responded by choosing not to heed the warning.
You stated he lacks the ABILITY to understand a rule. This implies he lacks something, that there is something wrong with his ability to comprehend. Look at this way.
to WinePusher a moment ago otseng wrote:But, nobody is free to attack a person. Basically, when something is prefaced with "you", like "You can't be a Christian", then that gets personal.
Hence it is a personal attack and considered a violation of the rules.
earlier, to AmazingJesusIs otseng wrote:Since YOU do not seem to be able to understand this, I've removed you from the Brother's Keeper usergroup.
Bolded added by me. You kick him out of the BK for doing the very same thing you have done here.
otseng wrote:
Goose wrote:Since you removed him from the BK group without speaking to him maybe you should restore him without speaking to him?
No, I gave a warning before I removed him. And obviously he read it since he quoted what I wrote.
I suppose you are free to do as you wish. You own the cite after all. But I’ll point out he didn’t continue to personally attack any particular person after the warning. All he did was disagree with you and quoted scripture to support his position that we can judge someone by their fruit. You then kicked him out of the BK group for that.
otseng wrote:
Goose wrote:After all, you did acknowledge the right thing to have done was to give him a formal warning. This implies you did the wrong thing by removing him from the BK group.
Actually, I was being lenient towards him by issuing a general warning first.
Fair enough. But it still remains that he is out of the group for the same type of personal attack you made on him and yet you are still in the group. Inconsistency there. Oh, and another case in point here…
otseng wrote:
stir the pot for no apparent reason?
This I did attribute to you since it was only the last part that he specifically mentioned your name.
But no warning there. I guess people can personally attack others as long as they agree with you, huh.

Slopeshoulder
Banned
Banned

Post #68

Post by Slopeshoulder »

I get it: "unable to understand" was an unfortunate turn of phrase. No more. Rephrasing would solve the problem.

Goose

Post #69

Post by Goose »

Darias wrote:This thread is only getting uglier, which is why I asked it be closed earlier. It has totally be derailed...
I'll take the responsibility for the derailing and my apologies for that. But the issue I've raised here is an ongoing one and one of several that has recently caused me to seriously consider leaving this cite permanently. I figured this was as good a place to air it out as any.

WinePusher

Post #70

Post by WinePusher »

Darias wrote:This thread is only getting uglier, which is why I asked it be closed earlier. It has totally be derailed, and no one is discussing the questions I brought up -- instead the discussion is revolving around me and other people's right to tell me my personal Christian faith is illegitimate (AKA "you're going to hell") because I don't share their doctrinal assumptions.

Even when other Christians here think that Genesis is allegory (and yet still claim that such a position = Biblical inerrancy) whilst they agree that people who fail to believe every word of the Bible literally are deemed false Christians. Boy that's rich.

And the admin of the site, of all people, is being accused of mis-representing his moderating powers by moderating -- just because some Christians think that ad-hominems are "Biblically based" or [font=Georgia]"he's a 'liberal' and he had it coming because other liberals (it doesn't matter which ones, or where, -- it doesn't even matter that other liberals have nothing to do with Darias -- just that it's a known fact that other liberals) use 'tactics,' so that makes it okay to tell Darias where he should go."[/font]

Look...

If people want to tell me where to go and that "I'm this" or "I'm that" be my guest.

[center]Image[/center]

I don't care anymore. Besides it only reflects on you and your character as a debater. It's not my problem.
1) Who has said you're going to hell in this thread.
2) I gave you two replies where I asked you to clarify your beliefs and clarified my own beliefs, I didn't get a response. If you want productive debate, give me a point by point rebuttal and not a lengthy aside.
3) First you created a thread where you quoted 3 specific fundamentalist users because you took issue with their behavior towards debate, are your own beliefs fair game or are they not to be challenged in this thread?