Drawing Distinctions in Christianity

Where Christians can get together and discuss

Moderator: Moderators

WinePusher

Drawing Distinctions in Christianity

Post #1

Post by WinePusher »

I've read some posts over the past few days where Christians, whom I've noticed never/rarely argue in favor of Christianity and defend Christian Beliefs and generally argue against strongly held Christian convictions, claim to be representatives of the faith and claim to speak for the Christian community. They, of course, get back up from the atheists and non-theists on this forum who support them as the "thoughtful representatives of Christianity" and earn the title "Thinking Theist" from individuals belonging to that group (as an interesting point, the support system amoung the liberals/atheists/non-theists on this forum does work quite well. Rarely are you able to debate with a lib/atheist/non-theist without one of their friends jumping in and helping them out. As another user would say, it's "VERY CUTE" :eyebrow:) Without naming names, they do not and never will represent my Christianity. Thus, I've come to the conclusion that distinctions need to be drawn within the Christian Faith.

I stand by my previous belief that a person who accepts Jesus Christ as their lord and savior qualifies as a Minimal Christian.

Going into specifics, a Christian who goes on further to accept the five fundamentals of Christianity qualify as a Believing/Fundamentalist Christian.

And one who defends the five fundamentals of Christianity, along with other Christian Convictions, qualify as Christian Apologists.

Do other Christians on this forum agree or disagree?

EduChris
Prodigy

Re: Drawing Distinctions in Christianity

Post #2

Post by EduChris »

WinePusher wrote:...distinctions need to be drawn within the Christian Faith...
The Pope speaks for Catholics, and the bishops speak for Orthodox, but trying to find someone today who speaks for all Protestants is impossible.

ByFaithAlone
Student

Post #3

Post by ByFaithAlone »

WinePusher wrote:I stand by my previous belief that a person who accepts Jesus Christ as their lord and savior qualifies as a Minimal Christian.

Going into specifics, a Christian who goes on further to accept the five fundamentals of Christianity qualify as a Believing/Fundamentalist Christian.

And one who defends the five fundamentals of Christianity, along with other Christian Convictions, qualify as Christian Apologists.

I don't believe I quite follow you on this issue. Maybe it's simply because I don't agree with your fundamentals of Christianity. When I say fundamentals, I would imply that they are the core tenets of a religion. Under your description of a Christian Fundamentalist http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/g ... php?g=3489, you place the divinity of Christ on the list. Regardless of your belief in the Trinity, it is quite possible to be Christian assuming belief in Jesus as the Christ.

I would also disagree that a Christian must be a fundamentalist to uphold Christian apologetics, especially given the description of fundamentalist. One merely needs to defend the Christian faith - as long as they do this I see no reason to exclude them from the group of Christian apologetists.
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. This is what the ancients were commended for.
Hebrews 11:1-2

Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give a reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect.
1 Peter 3:15

Test everything. Hold on to the good.
1 Thessalonians 5:21

Slopeshoulder
Banned
Banned

Post #4

Post by Slopeshoulder »

Nope. I disagree with you winepusher.
After spewing bigotry toward the moderate, liberal and progressive christians who differ with your arch conservative beliefs, and basically calling them non-christians, otherizing them, lumping them in with non-theists, you then go on to attempt to impose a definition of christian that priveledges those very same conservative beliefs.
Are you kidding?

how about this analogy:
All those dark skinned people, dwarfs, sick, infirm, jews, gypsies, commies that claim to be human and speak as human, saying they have read and reflected much and feel much and think much, with human dna and birth and upbringing, are actually in league with their support system of demons and other subhuman and nonhumans. So i suggest this:
- if you are aryan, you are nominally human.
- if you are member of the party, you are a confessing human.
- if you goose step and break bones, you are a vanguard human.

give it up winepusher.

90% of mainstream protestants, the seminaries, universities, journals, professional associations, editors, journalists, vatican 2 accepting catholics, anglicans and eastern orthdox all disagree with you.
And no rhetorical device/propoganda is going to change that.

NONE of us speak for christianity proper, no, not even you.

And BTW, check the rules: baptism, self-definition, and lack of excommunication define one as a christian.

What a sick and offensive joke.

If you want to be helpful and honest, you'd be better to create a poll that asks how many here are fundy, libbie, prog, etc. Being a professional in this kind of thing, I can tell you that would be a more coherent and accurate and reliable data set. As it is your question is a headcount disguised as theology or something else.

Wootah
Savant

Post #5

Post by Wootah »

Slope,

Your post is just character assassination. Why would you stoop to portraying Winepusher's view in such a ridiculous and stereotyped way?

If we were dealing with any other secular topic I bet you could distinguish between apples and oranges quite easily but because it's Christianity you won't accept definitions and again stoop to the most ridiculous of Godwins.

At best I grant that you disagree and are hurt by the post but you said nothing that forwarded the discussion. Personally I think you delete the post and allow the thread to run it's course. Rather than simply pervert it.

Why not contribute to the thread and share what you think makes one not a Christian? Just one thing that you think makes someone not a Christian. Go on ....

micatala
Site Supporter

Post #6

Post by micatala »

Slopeshoulder wrote:Nope. I disagree with you winepusher.
After spewing bigotry toward the moderate, liberal and progressive christians who differ . . . . .

Moderator Comment

You can disagree, even vehemently and contentiously, with another poster. However, some of the pejorative language here is getting a bit uncivil.

Make your case that winepusher's definitions are in error or otherwise faulty in your view without the accusations of bigotry, etc.

Please review the Rules.

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster.
" . . . the line separating good and evil passes, not through states, nor between classes, nor between political parties either, but right through every human heart . . . ." Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Slopeshoulder
Banned
Banned

Post #7

Post by Slopeshoulder »

Wootah wrote:Slope,

Your post is just character assassination.
Nonsense. It is factual.
And unlike winepusher, I had the honesty to name names. His entire OP was assassination of my character, and my faith, and that of countless christians I admire.
Why would you stoop to portraying Winepusher's view in such a ridiculous and stereotyped way?
Because it is based on my assessment of the facts.
the was no stooping.
Why would you stoop to calling me a stooper? are you in a stupor? (admit that was funny or retract).
If we were dealing with any other secular topic I bet you could distinguish between apples and oranges quite easily but because it's Christianity you won't accept definitions and again stoop to the most ridiculous of Godwins.
Christianity is my faith and my life. I defend it and forward and make many nuanced distinctions in doing so. I actually am an apologist in my way, just not a fundy one. i LOVE christianity, and seek to save it from you fundy types (except for otseng who I love). That these facts are lost on you impeaches and indicts you as tone deaf at best, ignorant at probably, and bigoted at worst.

At best I grant that you disagree
And I grant you the granting.
and are hurt by the post
I assure you I don't take winepusher seriously enough to be hurt. Rather, I am mad. Mad that he sometimes perverts my beloved faith and seeks to exclude the best of it to empower the worst of it.

[quote[ but you said nothing that forwarded the discussion.[/quote]
So you admit you don't follow my clear and fact based argument.
Personally
I don't care.

[/quote] I think you delete the post and allow the thread to run it's course. Rather than simply pervert it. [/quote]
How 'bout you kiss me where the sun don't shine instead.
Why not contribute to the thread and share what you think makes one not a Christian? Just one thing that you think makes someone not a Christian. Go on ....
I did contribute; with passion language, facts, logic, analogy, moral outrage, research expertise, conscience and holy ghost power. How dare you judge? Why embarass yourself by so publicly failing to follow an argument?

I meant and affirm every word. Winepusher is seeking to exclude a HUGE group of devout and saintly people with his nonsense rhetoric (and I don't mean me, although I'm all but named). His OP is agenda-laden, pure propoganda, not inquistive in spirit. It asks for a referendum vote on his repeated extremist motion. If you can't see that you are not a worthy debate or discussion partner.

When is someone not a christian? I'll give you four. When they are excommunicated, maybe. When they commit formal heresy and don't retract. When even the elite or avante garde thinkers say they've crossed the line. When they formally renounce their faith. Everything else is a variety of faith, a denomination, etc.

micatala
Site Supporter

Post #8

Post by micatala »

WinePusher wrote:I've read some posts over the past few days where Christians, whom I've noticed never/rarely argue in favor of Christianity and defend Christian Beliefs and generally argue against strongly held Christian convictions, claim to be representatives of the faith and claim to speak for the Christian community. They, of course, get back up from the atheists and non-theists on this forum who support them as the "thoughtful representatives of Christianity" and earn the title "Thinking Theist" from individuals belonging to that group (as an interesting point, the support system amoung the liberals/atheists/non-theists on this forum does work quite well. Rarely are you able to debate with a lib/atheist/non-theist without one of their friends jumping in and helping them out.
Well, I may be on of those who is "not being named" here, so perhaps I will offer some thoughts. If my assumption is incorrect, that is certainly fine as well.

However, I don't label myself as a "liberal Christian." I am both a former Catholic and a former atheist, and now worship weekly at a non-denominational church in the evangelical tradition.

Without naming names, they do not and never will represent my Christianity. Thus, I've come to the conclusion that distinctions need to be drawn within the Christian Faith.
In my view, while each of us who is a professed Christian is in some way a representative of Christianity, I certainly have no desire to represent anyone else's beliefs, and do not seek to do so. As Paul writes, we are all responsible to our own masters.
Winepusher wrote:I stand by my previous belief that a person who accepts Jesus Christ as their lord and savior qualifies as a Minimal Christian.

Each believer can characterize their own faith as they see fit.

However, I personally consider myself every bit a 'believing Christian' as winepusher or any other CHristian. I don't consider myself a fundamentalist, but I reject the notion that only fundamentalists should be considered 'believing Christians.'

What winepusher is doing here is what I would call posturing. Trying to claim some kind of moral or other superiority for oneself or one's group using rhetorical techniques, including as in this case what I would call equivocation.

I will note that Paul writes that anyone who believes in and confesses Jesus and the resurrection is saved. There are not other requirements in my view, and I think you could even make the case that these are not totally necessary, but I'll leave that discussion for a later post.

Certainly I am not sure the five fundamentals, however they are defined, are all necessary to be a Christian. To pick out one in particular, belief in inerrancy of the Bible is definitely not required, and barely has any justification at all, even in the Bible.

Now, winepusher might say I am not defending the faith in some of what I am saying here, but I reject that notion. I am not defending his faith but I am definitely defending my faith and faith in Christ and God in general. Most of the positions I take on the forum are grounded in that faith to at least some extent. Even those that are grounded elsewhere, for example in science, are informed and, in my view reconciled to the extent I can with that faith.

Drawing distinctions is fine if a person is doing it for oneself or for ones on voluntarily subscribed to church or group.

However, I will point out it is not really Biblical to try and claim authority for defining the faith for all believers. See Romans chapter 14. THus, to the extent that winepusher seeks to make distinctions in the faith, and either enforce those disctinctions or make a claim of superiority for one of the groups being distinguished between, he is engaging in what I think is an endeavor counter to a pretty central Biblical teaching.
" . . . the line separating good and evil passes, not through states, nor between classes, nor between political parties either, but right through every human heart . . . ." Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Slopeshoulder
Banned
Banned

Post #9

Post by Slopeshoulder »

micatala wrote:
Slopeshoulder wrote:Nope. I disagree with you winepusher.
After spewing bigotry toward the moderate, liberal and progressive christians who differ . . . . .

Moderator Comment

You can disagree, even vehemently and contentiously, with another poster. However, some of the pejorative language here is getting a bit uncivil.

Make your case that winepusher's definitions are in error or otherwise faulty in your view without the accusations of bigotry, etc.

Please review the Rules.

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster.

I retract "bigotry" and "sick."

WinePusher

Post #10

Post by WinePusher »

Slopeshoulder wrote:Nonsense. It is factual. And unlike winepusher, I had the honesty to name names. His entire OP was assassination of my character, and my faith, and that of countless christians I admire.
You named no "names" in any of your posts in this thread. You've rather demonstrated the well-established fact of how thin skinned liberals are. Your cries of anguish and despair about how your faith is being slandered and perverted can be waved off as disingenuious white noise as you have made yourself into a well-known funadmentalist basher and hater of any Christian who dares to actually read the Bible at face value or who dares to attend a school like Westminster or Dallas. You and your friends attack fudnamentalists left and right, but when your own interpretation of Christianity and your own beliefs are challenged you claim victimization. As I've seen Zzyzx say so many times, thank you for demonstrating to readers how a liberal rationalizes and argues. Also, part of the problem and the cause of why you chose to behave in such a juvenille manner is your large ego. Please believe me when I say I would never take time out of my day to dedicate an entire OP to you and your character.
Slopeshoulder wrote:Winepusher is seeking to exclude a HUGE group of devout and saintly people with his nonsense rhetoric (and I don't mean me, although I'm all but named). His OP is agenda-laden, pure propoganda, not inquistive in spirit. It asks for a referendum vote on his repeated extremist motion. If you can't see that you are not a worthy debate or discussion partner.
Ivy League Schools must be overated, since we have a claimed alumni right here who is demonstrating mundane reading comprehension skills. I never exclude you or people like you from Christianity (that's just a liberal making stuff up that he thinks will better suit is argument). I exclude you (generalized term) from the Fundamentalist/Believing aspect of Christianity. I doubt you actually will have the nerve to answer these questions directly, in a yes/no manner, but I'll put them to you anyways so your precious readers and see how sincere your criticisms really are.

Do you believe Jesus of Nazareth existed, performed miracles, died by crucifixion and by the power of the father, rose three days after death?
Do you believe in the divine inspiration of Scripture, and that Scripture stands supreme as the guiding point and source of truth for our faith?
Do you believe that Jesus was concieved by the power of the Holy Spirit and born of a Virgin?
Do you believe that by the death of Jesus Christ mankind and God were reconciled and our sins were redeemed?
Have you ever defended any of these contentions in debate with atheists and skeptics? Links?