Drawing Distinctions in Christianity

Where Christians can get together and discuss

Moderator: Moderators

WinePusher

Drawing Distinctions in Christianity

Post #1

Post by WinePusher »

I've read some posts over the past few days where Christians, whom I've noticed never/rarely argue in favor of Christianity and defend Christian Beliefs and generally argue against strongly held Christian convictions, claim to be representatives of the faith and claim to speak for the Christian community. They, of course, get back up from the atheists and non-theists on this forum who support them as the "thoughtful representatives of Christianity" and earn the title "Thinking Theist" from individuals belonging to that group (as an interesting point, the support system amoung the liberals/atheists/non-theists on this forum does work quite well. Rarely are you able to debate with a lib/atheist/non-theist without one of their friends jumping in and helping them out. As another user would say, it's "VERY CUTE" :eyebrow:) Without naming names, they do not and never will represent my Christianity. Thus, I've come to the conclusion that distinctions need to be drawn within the Christian Faith.

I stand by my previous belief that a person who accepts Jesus Christ as their lord and savior qualifies as a Minimal Christian.

Going into specifics, a Christian who goes on further to accept the five fundamentals of Christianity qualify as a Believing/Fundamentalist Christian.

And one who defends the five fundamentals of Christianity, along with other Christian Convictions, qualify as Christian Apologists.

Do other Christians on this forum agree or disagree?

WinePusher

Re: Drawing Distinctions in Christianity

Post #11

Post by WinePusher »

micatala wrote:Each believer can characterize their own faith as they see fit.

However, I personally consider myself every bit a 'believing Christian' as winepusher or any other CHristian. I don't consider myself a fundamentalist, but I reject the notion that only fundamentalists should be considered 'believing Christians.'
The term Believing Christian means exactly that, micatala. A person who believes most, if not all, of what Christianity teaches. If you were to look at the message of liberal christians in popular culture, it is a direct assult on this notion. It is a sensational message that says you can still be a Christian without accepting or believing in these dogmatic principles, virtures and teachings. And you would think it is permissable for these people to go out and speak for Christianity and represent the faith? No, they do not, they represent their own subjective perversion of the Faith, not the faith itself.
micatala wrote:'I will note that Paul writes that anyone who believes in and confesses Jesus and the resurrection is saved. There are not other requirements in my view, and I think you could even make the case that these are not totally necessary, but I'll leave that discussion for a later post.
Did you read my post, did you find an area of my post where I argue against this? I hope you didn't take a line from Slopeshoulder, make up stuff and attribute it to me. I, in my topic, affirmed this view and did not at any moment attempt to deny or debunk it.
Slopeshoulder wrote:Nonsense. It is factual. And unlike winepusher, I had the honesty to name names. His entire OP was assassination of my character, and my faith, and that of countless christians I admire.
A lie, or knowing you, maybe just a blunder. You named no "names" other than mine, in any of your posts in this thread. You've rather demonstrated the well-established fact of how thin skinned liberals are. Your cries of anguish and despair about how your faith is being slandered and perverted can be waved off as disingenuious white noise as you have made yourself into a well-known funadmentalist basher and hater of any Christian who dares to actually read the Bible at face value or who dares to attend a school like Westminster or Dallas. You and your friends attack fudnamentalists left and right, but when your own interpretation of Christianity and your own beliefs are challenged you claim victimization. As I've seen Zzyzx say so many times, thank you for demonstrating to readers how a liberal rationalizes and argues. Also, part of the problem and the cause of why you chose to behave in such a juvenille manner is your large ego. Please believe me when I say I would never take time out of my day to dedicate an entire OP to you and your character.
Slopeshoulder wrote:Winepusher is seeking to exclude a HUGE group of devout and saintly people with his nonsense rhetoric (and I don't mean me, although I'm all but named). His OP is agenda-laden, pure propoganda, not inquistive in spirit. It asks for a referendum vote on his repeated extremist motion. If you can't see that you are not a worthy debate or discussion partner.
Ivy League Schools must be overated, since we have a claimed alumni right here who is demonstrating mundane reading comprehension skills. I never exclude you or people like you from Christianity (that's just a liberal making stuff up that he thinks will better suit is argument). I exclude you (generalized term) from the Fundamentalist/Believing aspect of Christianity. I doubt you actually will have the nerve to answer these questions directly, in a yes/no manner, but I'll put them to you anyways so your precious readers and see how sincere your criticisms really are.

Do you believe Jesus of Nazareth existed, performed miracles, died by crucifixion and by the power of the father, rose three days after death?
Do you believe in the divine inspiration of Scripture, and that Scripture stands supreme as the guiding point and source of truth for our faith?
Do you believe that Jesus was concieved by the power of the Holy Spirit and born of a Virgin?
Do you believe that by the death of Jesus Christ mankind and God were reconciled and our sins were redeemed?
Have you ever defended any of these contentions in debate with atheists and skeptics? Links?

Braveheart
Banned
Banned

Post #12

Post by Braveheart »

When is someone not a christian? I'll give you four. When they are excommunicated, maybe. When they commit formal heresy and don't retract. When even the elite or avante garde thinkers say they've crossed the line. When they formally renounce their faith. Everything else is a variety of faith, a denomination, etc.[/quote]

Just a friendly reminder. In the ancient and better times for the Catholic Church, based on your beliefs, you would be excluded from other Catholics. So, until you changed your lifestyle to conform with your beliefs, you would be basically excommunicated. I'm not going to say what beliefs these are, but if you want them I will supply. (I'm not trying to be your enemy, just a reminder)
I am not afraid... I was born to do this.
Joan of Arc :2gun:

Peace if possible, truth at all costs.
Martin Luther

The Church of God she will not bend her knees
To the gods of this world though they promise her peace
She stands her ground
Stands firm on the Rock
Watch their walls tumble down when she lives out His love
Rich Mullins

Slopeshoulder
Banned
Banned

Post #13

Post by Slopeshoulder »

WP, most of your post was an ignorant ad hominum rant. But for the sake of readers and God, I'll respond to what little substance I was able to find.
I exclude you (generalized term) from the Fundamentalist/Believing aspect of Christianity.
But that's jejune. Of course I'm not a fundamentalist.
The problem is that you doing more than you claim, you are equating fundamentalism with believing, therefore with legitimate christianity, and thereby excluding non-fundamentalists. To you believing/faith is literalism and nothing more. How very small and sad. Your rhetoric is step one in a purge/pogram. Admit it.
I doubt you actually will have the nerve to answer these questions directly,
Another ad hominum. Of course I do.
in a yes/no manner,
Ah, a common tactic of the fundamentalist: either-or, us-them, in-out, right wrong, true-false, black-white DYADIC thinking, like that of a child, where they also presume, in a power move, to define the definitions and parameters. Your questions are a well known gotcha move, and should not, per my criticism above, be taken as somehow definitional or authoritative regarding what christianity is. That is an assumption that I and countless others reject. And have done so ever since the extremist arch conservative reactionaries proposed them 90 years ago.

But if you read below you will see how orthodox and apologetic I actually am.
but I'll put them to you anyways so your precious readers and see how sincere your criticisms really are.
Fact: these are huge questions which require more than yes/no. And of course, I do not in any way cede to winepusher-of-the-internet any authority to judge me, others, or even the content of the faith in any mature and informed way.
And because I do not deem WP to be a worthy candidate for a systematic theology custom written right here, I will keep my answers brief.
In answering these quesions (not submitting to this trial, which is what it actually is in WP schema, not a jejune effort to categorize), I am helping WP to establish what is already known, and no more: I am not a fundamentalist. But perhaps you will see that I am also orthodox, a christian in good standing.
Literalism and orthodoxy are not equated.

Do you believe Jesus of Nazareth existed,
Of course.
performed miracles,
Miracle stories are symbolic and theological in intent. They are to be taken seriously, as sources of faith, discernment, insight, and as objects of reflection and veneration, but not literally, by all Christians.
So yes, I affirm the miracle stories as core to christian faith and life. I also find it deeply beautiful and inspiring. We can never get rid of it.

died by crucifixion
Of course.
and by the power of the father, rose three days after death
Ressurection stories are symbolic and theological in intent. They are to be taken seriously, but not literally, by Christians. It is a doctrine we affirm (for reflection, discernment, faith, veneration, etc), not a literal fact we insist upon.
So yes, I affirm the doctrine as core to christian faith and life. I also find it deeply beautiful and inspiring. We can never get rid of it if we are to be legitimately Christian.
Do you believe in the divine inspiration of Scripture,
Yes. But I probably mean something different by that than you. I suspect you mean, with children and literalists, that God pretty much wrote it using human hands in one way or another and to one degree or another.
But in a way i believe that too, the more mature way: I believe that the authors had such insight, such contemplative clarity, as did those who edited the writings and collected them, that we can say they were tapped in, in an undefinable and mystical way, to what we call divine or God, and God poured into them and out of them.
So yes, I affirm that scripture is divinely inspired. I affirm the doctrine as core to christian faith and life. I also find it deeply beautiful and inspiring. We can never get rid of it if we are to be legitimately Christian.

and that Scripture stands supreme as the guiding point and source of truth for our faith?
Yes, I affirm prima scriptura, but not sola scriptura. And of course, not being a fundamentalist, I don't take it literally but rather as intended: mystically, ethically, and theologically. But yes, it has a primary or normative role in all theological refection and can never be contradicted, given what we take to be its meaning. But that last phrase is where good people can disagree and where conversations get imteresting.
Do you believe that Jesus was concieved by the power of the Holy Spirit and born of a Virgin?
The immaculate conception and birth stories are symbolic and theological in intent. They are to be taken seriously, but not literally, by Christians. It is a doctrine we affirm, not a fact we insist upon.
So yes, I affirm the doctrine as core to christian faith and life. I also find it deeply beautiful and inspiring. We can never get rid of it if we are to be legitimately called Christian.

Do you believe that by the death of Jesus Christ mankind and God were reconciled and our sins were redeemed?
I think you mean death and ressurection.
Death is literal of course.
As above ressurection stories are symbolic and theological in intent.
Regarding, redemtion/reconciliation, my own involvement with this is less in the augustinian and lutheran tradition and more in the christian existentialist and eastern orthodox traditions. Less sin/atonement, more light/dark. Either way, a symbolic and utterly unique and wonderful triumph over death in all its forms.
So yes, I affirm the doctrine as core to christian faith and life. I also find it deeply beautiful and inspiring. We can never get rid of it if we are to be legitimately called christian.

And it is these things, along with some other theology and cultural and biographical details, that keep me an orthodox christian, even though I see the spirit of God in all major religions, and in some minor ones. As well as in all people who seek truth and life and meaning in the face of thier opposites.

Have you ever defended any of these contentions in debate with atheists and skeptics? Links?
Oh yes, these and more.
I gather that you have misread my posts (well, that's an understatement).
While I am not in the business of trying to convince others of these doctrines' literal historicity, my main goal is to disabuse them of this literality and focus on their powerful and redemptive meaning in order to affect metanoia. In doing so, many skeptics and non-theists have commented upon, in threads and PM's and in real life, how I have been successful in doing this. In this way I free God from fundamentalists and participate in co-creation, walking with the holy spirit to reveal god, redeem the world, and build the kingdom. Which is what do in everything I do, everything.
But I guess in your reactionary literalism and self-appointed role as the "the definer," you must have missed all that.

So you see? I reject literalism yet answer "yes" to all your questions. And I mean it. So...I'm an orthodox confessing christian. Even an apologist. The secret's out.
If your god is literalism, I wish you good luck. I consider that to be an idolatry, as well as a lack of faith in the work of the spirit of god in history.

WP, here's a challenge to you. Print this out, unedited, and instead of taking it to your "friends," or to catholic answers forum (a misleading name for a misleading place) or whatever, get your butt over to a great catholic university or mainstream seminary and run it by a professor of systematic theology or philosophy of religion who affirms vatican 2 (exclude neo-thomists as they are premodern). You might learn something about how I am christian, and a small part of what "speaks for christianity."
Last edited by Slopeshoulder on Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:08 am, edited 6 times in total.

Slopeshoulder
Banned
Banned

Post #14

Post by Slopeshoulder »

When is someone not a christian? I'll give you four. When they are excommunicated, maybe. When they commit formal heresy and don't retract. When even the elite or avante garde thinkers say they've crossed the line. When they formally renounce their faith. Everything else is a variety of faith, a denomination, etc.
Just a friendly reminder. In the ancient and better times for the Catholic Church, based on your beliefs, you would be excluded from other Catholics. So, until you changed your lifestyle to conform with your beliefs, you would be basically excommunicated. I'm not going to say what beliefs these are, but if you want them I will supply. (I'm not trying to be your enemy, just a reminder)
Possibly, because the modern era and its impact on theology hadn't yet happened. So that's like saying that if a flower bloomed on the tundra it would be alone and under threat.
Then the ice melted. Better times, not worse. Either way, modernity to us is like water to fish. It is our world, oor reality.
So not today my friend, not today. I'm prety darn right up the middle for educated mainstream seminary grads. I'm just 1. more free to discuss it because I'm not employed by a church, and 2. more inclusive and mystical than your average parish level clergy.
I am confideant that even ratzinger wouldn't excommunicate me, or even correct me very much. I'm guilty of no hersy. I simply reject literalism and triumphaism. I'm more orthodox than you think. I do wish he'd call. I'd be delighted to prove it. And if I'm wrong, the anglicans would probably give me a church like they did with matthew fox or my old friend rick fabian.

BTW, if you refer to times that would allegedly isolate (excommunicate, torture, execute) me and the countless millions like me as better times, then your reminder is friendly neither in intent or effect. I'm not fooled.

micatala
Site Supporter

Post #15

Post by micatala »

WinePusher wrote:
micatala wrote:Each believer can characterize their own faith as they see fit.

However, I personally consider myself every bit a 'believing Christian' as winepusher or any other CHristian. I don't consider myself a fundamentalist, but I reject the notion that only fundamentalists should be considered 'believing Christians.'
The term Believing Christian means exactly that, micatala. A person who believes most, if not all, of what Christianity teaches.
You can certainly use the word believing as you wish. I will simply point out that there is huge disagreement on "what CHristianity teaches" among Christians. I believe in what I consider the central tenets of Christianity and so I count myself as a believing Christian. We disagree on what the central tenets are to some extent.

Why you feel you get to define what CHristianity is for everyone else, which seems to be implicit in what you are posting, I am not sure. As I pointed out, that attitude is arguably not Biblical, and I don't believe you addressed that in this post, but I'll keep reading.

If you were to look at the message of liberal christians in popular culture, it is a direct assult on this notion. It is a sensational message that says you can still be a Christian without accepting or believing in these dogmatic principles, virtures and teachings. And you would think it is permissable for these people to go out and speak for Christianity and represent the faith? No, they do not, they represent their own subjective perversion of the Faith, not the faith itself.
Again, I don't apply the word "liberal" to myself and I don't think the way you are using it has much meaning. I'll leave further comment until I address the specific "dogmatic principles" you are referring to here without specifying.

micatala wrote:'I will note that Paul writes that anyone who believes in and confesses Jesus and the resurrection is saved. There are not other requirements in my view, and I think you could even make the case that these are not totally necessary, but I'll leave that discussion for a later post.
Did you read my post, did you find an area of my post where I argue against this? I hope you didn't take a line from Slopeshoulder, make up stuff and attribute it to me. I, in my topic, affirmed this view and did not at any moment attempt to deny or debunk it.
I read your post.

I am not attributing anything to you here, other than you seem to have additional items you think have to be held to be a believing Christian. I am simply disagreeing with you. I think the above is sufficient. I don't believe you have to subscribe to whatever your fundamental principles are.

You addressed the following to slopeshoulder, but I will make some comments.
Do you believe Jesus of Nazareth existed,

Yes.

performed miracles,
Yes, with some possible qualifications.
died by crucifixion

Yes.
and by the power of the father, rose three days after death?
Yes, but I allow the possibility of a non-bodily meaning to this. If it were proven tomorrow no physical resurrection had occurred, I would still be a Christian.

Do you believe in the divine inspiration of Scripture,
Yes.
and that Scripture stands supreme as the guiding point and source of truth for our faith?
Partially. I do not consider the Bible as the final word on all matters. Nor do I consider it inerrant. It is, as Paul says in Timothy, God-breathed and useful for instruction. However, the Bible itself provides precedents for believers following their own consciences even if they are going against Biblical teachings. Jesus himself did this. So did the Apostles.

Yes, but I don't consider this a central or fundamental tenet. Christianity has validity without the virgin birth, in my view.
Most emphatically yes on this point.
Yes, at least according to my beliefs, but I am not going to take the time at this point to justify this. I may get to the links later.
" . . . the line separating good and evil passes, not through states, nor between classes, nor between political parties either, but right through every human heart . . . ." Alexander Solzhenitsyn

WinePusher

Post #16

Post by WinePusher »

Slopeshoulder wrote:WP, most of your post was an ignorant ad hominum rant. But for the sake of readers and God, I'll respond to what little substance I was able to find.
There are a couple of statements that sufficently describe your exemplification of cognitive dissonance. The best would be "the pot calling the kettle black." Obviously you must not be aware of this informal useage of language, so let me explain to you in hopes that you avoid 'embarassing' yourself like this in the near future. When one's writings are accused of being an example of "the pot calling the kettle black" it means they are displaying hypocracy. Here, you seem to be crying about how my post was an ignorant ad hominem rant when your initial post in this thread and your post to Wootah were also ignorant ad hominem rants. Perhaps something prevents you from fully recognizing this, which is understandable. But as a point of fact, not only are you employing double standards but you are also concurrently destroying your integrity when you express problems with my ignorant ad hominem rant but see no problem in throwing up ignorant ad hominem rants written by yourself.
WinePusher wrote:in a yes/no manner
Slopeshoulder wrote:Ah, a common tactic of the fundamentalist: either-or, us-them, in-out, right wrong, true-false, black-white DYADIC thinking, like that of a child, where they also presume, in a power move, to define the definitions and parameters. Your questions are a well known gotcha move, and should not, per my criticism above, be taken as somehow definitional or authoritative regarding what christianity is. That is an assumption that I and countless others reject. And have done so ever since the extremist arch conservative reactionaries proposed them 90 years ago.
You brilliantly continue to demonstrate for the precious readers how liberals rationalize and argue. Saves me the trouble. That you are afraid and hesitant to answer questions in a yes/no manner is reflective of your own insecurities and your lack of courage. I realize your group's line of argumentation not only relies on slander and demonization (as you've also demosntrated here by calling dissenting opinions sick and offensive jokes and bigotry) but also double speak. You aren't actually able to say what you actually mean which is why you are reluctant and think yourself to be above yes/no question and answer.

Anyways, to the following questions you gave the following answers:

Do you believe Jesus performed Miracles?
Do you believe Jesus rose?
Do you believe Jesus was born of a virgin?

Answer: "They are symbolic and theological in intent, they are meant to be taken seriously but not literally."

I don't deem you to be a worthy individual to discuss historical and biblical issues with, so I won't go into detail on this. But as a point of reference, history deals with the question of what is and what is not true of the past. I can only interpret your ambiguious answers as you do not give specific, straightfoward yes/no answers to these questions. From what I am able to glean, you do not believe these events actually occured in the past or you are not willing to comment on this as you would trap yourself in a corner. If this is true, your Christian beliefs are not grouded in any type of historical realism, you give no true meaning to any type of historical merit of Christianity, rather you inject meaning into stories you consider to be fictional at face value. In doing so, you strip Christianity of any real substance and what's left is an empty bag that people like you fill with their subjective, sensationalist feelings.
Slopeshoulder wrote:WP, here's a challenge to you. Print this out, unedited, and instead of taking it to your "friends," or to catholic answers forum (a misleading name for a misleading place) or whatever, get your butt over to a great catholic university or mainstream seminary and run it by a professor of systematic theology or philosophy of religion who affirms vatican 2 (exclude neo-thomists as they are premodern). You might learn something about how I am christian, and a small part of what "speaks for christianity."
If I were to actually do this, I would take it to whatever university and whatever professor, theologian or scholar I want. This would not include the group of people you so adamently persist upon. I assume you're a staunch admirer or people like Karen Armstrong, John Shelby Spong, Jim Wallis and Matthew Fox? That speaks for itself. Those whom you look up to as experts on Christianity believe little to no actual tenants of Christianity, rather they seek to reform the current establishment and infuse their subjective views into the already existing and established dogma. Very ironic that you accuse me of pushing an agenda when the people you admire so much have made it their goal in life, as so called christians, to push their own agenda rather than do what Christians are commissioned to do, evangelize, you know, that thing people like Rick Warren do.

Darias
Guru

Post #17

Post by Darias »

WinePusher wrote:I've read some posts over the past few days where Christians, whom I've noticed never/rarely argue in favor of Christianity and defend Christian Beliefs and generally argue against strongly held Christian convictions, claim to be representatives of the faith and claim to speak for the Christian community. They, of course, get back up from the atheists and non-theists on this forum who support them as the "thoughtful representatives of Christianity" and earn the title "Thinking Theist" from individuals belonging to that group (as an interesting point, the support system amoung the liberals/atheists/non-theists on this forum does work quite well. Rarely are you able to debate with a lib/atheist/non-theist without one of their friends jumping in and helping them out. As another user would say, it's "VERY CUTE" :eyebrow:) Without naming names, they do not and never will represent my Christianity. Thus, I've come to the conclusion that distinctions need to be drawn within the Christian Faith.

I stand by my previous belief that a person who accepts Jesus Christ as their lord and savior qualifies as a Minimal Christian.

Going into specifics, a Christian who goes on further to accept the five fundamentals of Christianity qualify as a Believing/Fundamentalist Christian.

And one who defends the five fundamentals of Christianity, along with other Christian Convictions, qualify as Christian Apologists.

Do other Christians on this forum agree or disagree?
The problems in creating a standard for determining a true Scotsman is that depending on who you ask, the standard changes.

There are many many fundamentalist Christians like yourself who would not consider you a Christian on two counts:

You're Catholic

You believe in Evolution to a degree -- not actual Darwinian Evolution by any means, but certainly not YEC. And that is enough to make you a heretic in many eyes.

Now, this type of test is not new to Christianity; it has been occurring ever since it started.

First, you weren't a "true" Christian if you weren't circumcised and ate meat sacrificed to idols. Then you weren't a "true" Christian unless you accepted the doctrines of the Trinity. Then you weren't "true" if you were Protestant. Then you weren't "true" if you were Calvinist or Arminianist. The list goes on and on.

What you consider "Fundamentals" might be too lacking or too extreme depending who you ask. Either way, I don't think you'll find a lot of support for your definition of "Christian" because no one will ever agree on what that really is.

WinePusher

Post #18

Post by WinePusher »

Darias wrote:What you consider "Fundamentals" might be too lacking or too extreme depending who you ask. Either way, I don't think you'll find a lot of support for your definition of "Christian" because no one will ever agree on what that really is.
My standard for determining who does and does not qualify as a Christian was clearly stated in my topic. My only requirement for a person being considered a Christian is that this person accept Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior. If you do not accept this, you are not a Christian, plain and simple. This is only one belief out of many, a Christian who only believes in Jesus Christ as their Savior and rejects beliefs such as the Virgin Birth or the Literal Resurrection is not the same as a Christian who actually does, which is why I believe distinctions are called for.
Slopeshoulder wrote:WP, most of your post was an ignorant ad hominum rant. But for the sake of readers and God, I'll respond to what little substance I was able to find.
There are a couple of statements that sufficently describe your exemplification of cognitive dissonance. The best would be "the pot calling the kettle black." Obviously you must not be aware of this informal useage of language, so let me explain to you in hopes that you avoid 'embarassing' yourself like this in the near future. When one's writings are accused of being an example of "the pot calling the kettle black" it means they are displaying hypocracy. Here, you seem to be crying about how my post was an ignorant ad hominem rant when your initial post in this thread and your post to Wootah were also ignorant ad hominem rants. Perhaps something prevents you from fully recognizing this, which is understandable. But as a point of fact, not only are you employing double standards but you are also concurrently destroying your integrity when you express problems with my ignorant ad hominem rant but see no problem in throwing up ignorant ad hominem rants written by yourself.
WinePusher wrote:in a yes/no manner
Slopeshoulder wrote:Ah, a common tactic of the fundamentalist: either-or, us-them, in-out, right wrong, true-false, black-white DYADIC thinking, like that of a child, where they also presume, in a power move, to define the definitions and parameters. Your questions are a well known gotcha move, and should not, per my criticism above, be taken as somehow definitional or authoritative regarding what christianity is. That is an assumption that I and countless others reject. And have done so ever since the extremist arch conservative reactionaries proposed them 90 years ago.
You brilliantly continue to demonstrate for the precious readers how liberals rationalize and argue. Saves me the trouble. That you are afraid and hesitant to answer questions in a yes/no manner is reflective of your own insecurities and your lack of courage. I realize your group's line of argumentation not only relies on slander and demonization (as you've also demosntrated here by calling dissenting opinions sick and offensive jokes and bigotry) but also double speak. You aren't actually able to say what you actually mean which is why you are reluctant and think yourself to be above yes/no question and answer.

Anyways, to the following questions you gave the following answers:

Do you believe Jesus performed Miracles?
Do you believe Jesus rose?
Do you believe Jesus was born of a virgin?

Answer: "They are symbolic and theological in intent, they are meant to be taken seriously but not literally."

I don't deem you to be a worthy individual to discuss historical and biblical issues with, so I won't go into detail on this. But as a point of reference, history deals with the question of what is and what is not true of the past. I can only interpret your ambiguious answers as you do not give specific, straightfoward yes/no answers to these questions. From what I am able to glean, you do not believe these events actually occured in the past or you are not willing to comment on this as you would trap yourself in a corner. If this is true, your Christian beliefs are not grouded in any type of historical realism, you give no true meaning to any type of historical merit of Christianity, rather you inject meaning into stories you consider to be fictional at face value. In doing so, you strip Christianity of any real substance and what's left is an empty bag that people like you fill with their subjective, sensationalist feelings.
Slopeshoulder wrote:WP, here's a challenge to you. Print this out, unedited, and instead of taking it to your "friends," or to catholic answers forum (a misleading name for a misleading place) or whatever, get your butt over to a great catholic university or mainstream seminary and run it by a professor of systematic theology or philosophy of religion who affirms vatican 2 (exclude neo-thomists as they are premodern). You might learn something about how I am christian, and a small part of what "speaks for christianity."
If I were to actually do this, I would take it to whatever university and whatever professor, theologian or scholar I want. This would not include the group of people you so adamently persist upon. I assume you're a staunch admirer or people like Karen Armstrong, John Shelby Spong, Jim Wallis and Matthew Fox? That speaks for itself. Those whom you look up to as experts on Christianity believe little to no actual tenants of Christianity, rather they seek to reform the current establishment and infuse their subjective views into the already existing and established dogma. Very ironic that you accuse me of pushing an agenda when the people you admire so much have made it their goal in life, as so called christians, to push their own agenda rather than do what Christians are commissioned to do, evangelize, you know, that thing people like Rick Warren do.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #19

Post by McCulloch »

:warning: Moderator Warning
Please review our Rules.

Slopeshoulder wrote: That these facts are lost on you impeaches and indicts you as tone deaf at best, ignorant at probably, and bigoted at worst.

How 'bout you kiss me where the sun don't shine instead.
Please learn to express your disagreement without the uncivil tone and insulting language.

Moderator warnings count as a strike against users. Additional violations in the future may warrant a final warning. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

Slopeshoulder
Banned
Banned

Post #20

Post by Slopeshoulder »

Thank you winepusher. My side truly thanks you. You have shown how you "think" and how you roll. You missed every point I made and in doing so you locate yourself in a right wing belligerent extreme, and as a person with an apparent willful inability to entertain anything other than beliefs you already hold. The only analogies that I can think of for this kind of brick-like reading would be the way a know-nothinger or perhaps stalinist or nazi ideologue thinks in politics, a flat earther in science, a tone deaf person to music, and a primitive in art, or an actual brick regarding subtlety and thuggishness.

I also thank you for acknowledging the brilliance of my thinking and presentation. Did you miss where I said a clear "yes" to all your questions? Did you miss where I reduced the issue to historicity vs. symbolism? Did you miss where only extremists such as yourself insist on historicity and hang their faith on it, confusing it with doctrine? Did you miss where I decimated your position with substance? Did you miss where I refused to be shoehorned by your abuse of power through language? Does this explan why your responsed to none of it?

BTW, Spong is post-christian, as is Armstrong. I'm more orthodox. I like then for other reasons, more Armstrong, but they are not Christians per se. Wallis is good, but politics isn't my thing. I like matthew fox, but only read his first book. But he's a little out there liturgically. The people I'm a fan of are theologians and philosophers who define the modern and postmodern mainstream in the west. People who, given the amount of time you describe yourself taking in the "thinking" of people lightwieights and unhinged characters like glenn beck, anne coulter, dinesh d'souza, and sean hannity, you have probably never read. And if your deeply confused responses to me are any indication, haven't understood if you have read them.

Where did I cry? Come over to my house and we'll see who cries and whines after about a minute. That's a legitimate invitation. I'm moving closer to you soon and can expose you for the punk you are quite readily. Bring a camera. In the end, punks always cry for mommy. No, I am not threatening you; I am inviting you to a duel. A little precursor of the second civil war your side is likely to initiate, and its likely outcome.

And how does a list of ones favorite writers (if it were accurate) "speak for itself"? Are you 1. trying to establish that I am not a conservative, or 2. attempting to exclude those you don't like from your precious little core of "true" "believing" or "apologist" christians? The former is jejune and the latter is odious. Given that it's you, I'm going with odious.

FWIW NONE of what I wrote is extreme liberalism. It is mainstream. And I am orthodox. Our primary disagreement is whether one has to profess to historicity vs. symbolism regarding magical events to be called believeing (or faithful or orthodox). Do you deny it?