Drawing Distinctions in Christianity

Where Christians can get together and discuss

Moderator: Moderators

WinePusher

Drawing Distinctions in Christianity

Post #1

Post by WinePusher »

I've read some posts over the past few days where Christians, whom I've noticed never/rarely argue in favor of Christianity and defend Christian Beliefs and generally argue against strongly held Christian convictions, claim to be representatives of the faith and claim to speak for the Christian community. They, of course, get back up from the atheists and non-theists on this forum who support them as the "thoughtful representatives of Christianity" and earn the title "Thinking Theist" from individuals belonging to that group (as an interesting point, the support system amoung the liberals/atheists/non-theists on this forum does work quite well. Rarely are you able to debate with a lib/atheist/non-theist without one of their friends jumping in and helping them out. As another user would say, it's "VERY CUTE" :eyebrow:) Without naming names, they do not and never will represent my Christianity. Thus, I've come to the conclusion that distinctions need to be drawn within the Christian Faith.

I stand by my previous belief that a person who accepts Jesus Christ as their lord and savior qualifies as a Minimal Christian.

Going into specifics, a Christian who goes on further to accept the five fundamentals of Christianity qualify as a Believing/Fundamentalist Christian.

And one who defends the five fundamentals of Christianity, along with other Christian Convictions, qualify as Christian Apologists.

Do other Christians on this forum agree or disagree?

lastcallhall
Sage

Post #41

Post by lastcallhall »

And as far as bettering the image of Christianity to non-Christians, I have absolutely no problem with that. As long as the world identifies Christianity with people like Falwell, Hagee, etc., they'll despise Christianity for the ugly irrational hateful thing it appears to be.
I guess from SS I am a 1 on the scale because I think Pastor Hagee and Dr. Dobson are two of the wonderful men of God I have ever heard speak and Hagee has the best insight into the Bible I have ever seen. I did not want to comment on the thread because I have my firm beliefs in what a christian should believe (I am sure most can guess) but I will let God be the judge in the end. This site is great to hear other opinions and even tho I could not be further from the views of SS he did get me to change my view on abortion (slightly) and has been very nice to me on the threads. I like all on this site and I think we should all remember, including me, to listen to the Bible.

Proverbs 6:16-19
New King James Version (NKJV)

16 These six things the LORD hates,
Yes, seven are an abomination to Him:
17 A proud look,
A lying tongue,
Hands that shed innocent blood,
18 A heart that devises wicked plans,
Feet that are swift in running to evil,
19 A false witness who speaks lies,
And one who sows discord among brethren.

I use this verse in my abortion debates but it says God hates discord among the brethren, let's give our opinions and tell people why we believe them but love on each other like Jesus wants us too.
All the powers of darkness can't drown out a single word

Slopeshoulder
Banned
Banned

Post #42

Post by Slopeshoulder »

lastcallhall wrote: Proverbs 6:16-19
New King James Version (NKJV)

16 These six things the LORD hates,
Yes, seven are an abomination to Him:
17 A proud look,
A lying tongue,
Hands that shed innocent blood,
18 A heart that devises wicked plans,
Feet that are swift in running to evil,
19 A false witness who speaks lies,
And one who sows discord among brethren.
Proverbs to the rescuse. Always a good thing! O:) :D

WinePusher

Post #43

Post by WinePusher »

ByFaithAlone wrote:To both of you:

You are both using personal attacks on your opponent more than debating the issue. This is the ad hominem fallacy. ATTACK THE ARGUMENT NOT THE DEBATER.
Thank You ByFaithAlone. You've provided a very apt assessment of the situation and I'm sorry to you if I have offended you. I have to say though, I will make an attempt to strive towards civility with those debaters who entered this thread with legitimate concerns, rebuttals and responses, debaters like Darias and micatala who have issued leigitmate challenges to my assertions in the topic. I won't strive to be civil towards a person who becomes so infuriated at the sight of a dissenting opinion and subsequently continues to call this opinion bigoted, sick, offensive and a joke and draws analogies between my opinion and nazi ideology. Unfortunately, those rebuttals made by even-tempermented debaters has been buried benneth the dietribes between me and Slopeshoulder. That's troubling in and of itself, since I use to consider Slopeshoulder a nominal forum acquaintance. But I guess, due to your reasoned assessment and expressed concerns, I'll regrettebly take the high road and forego anymore mud slinging in this thread despite how enourmously fun it has become.
Slopeshoulder wrote:I know that and understand it. You equate belief with historicity, yes, i get it. That's the whole POINT, which after repeated explanations you still don't apparently understand. That equation is an error, and represents primitive thinking and ignorance, theologically. Further studies in epistemology and the grammar of faith, as well as faith development and stages will aid you in overcoming this error in the future. And Jesus will be happy. NOTE: as I said to my buddy educhris, I do NOT deny historicity, I accept that it could have happened and I don't deny anyone their right to think it happened. Read that again. We have no quarrel there. I simply say historicity is not equated with or required for belief. Demanding that it is is your error. Why can't we coexist as "believeing christians," even apologists, while disagreeing on historicity? why is that a big deal? I've been in many groups of clergy where there were varied views on this and no one started a movement to impose one view and exclude others, establishinhg a hierarchy based on historicity, as you do.
This seems to be the heart of this issue. I've already explained my position why belief is to be equated with historicity, I'm not going to do it again. However, your position still remains unclear due to your ambiguious answers. Do you believe that the events I list, whether it be the virgin birth, the resurrection or miracles, historically occured in reality. If you do, we have no qualms. If you don't, then we do have qualms. If you don't place any historical merit in Christianity, then it would seem you believe that Christianity is based upon fictional stories and in doing so you strip Christianity of any real substance. So my question to you do you believe that claims such as the virgin birth, the resurrection, or the miracles Jesus supposedly performed historically occured in real life? Yes/No.

Slopeshoulder
Banned
Banned

Post #44

Post by Slopeshoulder »

WinePusher wrote: I won't strive to be civil towards a person who becomes so infuriated at the sight of a dissenting opinion
But you're supposed too.

Slopeshoulder wrote:I know that and understand it. You equate belief with historicity, yes, i get it. That's the whole POINT, which after repeated explanations you still don't apparently understand. That equation is an error, and represents primitive thinking and ignorance, theologically. Further studies in epistemology and the grammar of faith, as well as faith development and stages will aid you in overcoming this error in the future. And Jesus will be happy. NOTE: as I said to my buddy educhris, I do NOT deny historicity, I accept that it could have happened and I don't deny anyone their right to think it happened. Read that again. We have no quarrel there. I simply say historicity is not equated with or required for belief. Demanding that it is is your error. Why can't we coexist as "believeing christians," even apologists, while disagreeing on historicity? why is that a big deal? I've been in many groups of clergy where there were varied views on this and no one started a movement to impose one view and exclude others, establishinhg a hierarchy based on historicity, as you do.
This seems to be the heart of this issue.
YES!
I've already explained my position why belief is to be equated with historicity, I'm not going to do it again.
Actually, you haven't, you've only claimed it. But below you do a better of job at articulating what is at stake (e.g. stripping Christianity of real substance).
However, your position still remains unclear due to your ambiguious answers.
Unclear to you.
Not ambiguous, rather nuanced.
Do you believe that the events I list, whether it be the virgin birth, the resurrection or miracles, historically occured in reality. If you do, we have no qualms. If you don't, then we do have qualms. If you don't place any historical merit in Christianity, then it would seem you believe that Christianity is based upon fictional stories and in doing so you strip Christianity of any real substance. So my question to you do you believe that claims such as the virgin birth, the resurrection, or the miracles Jesus supposedly performed historically occured in real life? Yes/No.
Please read this slowly and with an open mind...

Events? No. I don't think so.
Theologically, yes.

I don't insist it didn't happen, unlike a skeptic or materialist would. And I presented a credible and established philosophical theology, that I did not personally invent, to say how one can affirm the doctrine while questioning historicity, making it a yes answer to the questions not historically, but theologically.
I share your concern about reductionism to fictional "tales" as some skeptics would insist, and i reject the reductionism to ethics that Thomas Jefferson attempted. But I don't think this theology is a reductionism because I don't think our faith is about events, but rather about transofrmative meaning. I think that the scripture is a mythopoetic narrative, and is the way God talks to us. I think it makes Christianity stronger, especially for people who start to question literalism and develop a certain sophistication from engagement with other modern thought forms. And unlike caving in to rationalistic reductionisms, it does maintain orthodoxy, by affirmign the meaning and centrality of core doctrines (the ones you list and many others). All it takes is a shift from magical-history to theological poetry. And again, I didn't make it up. It's pretty mainstream.
Now you can disagree with that, and land and speak from a different place, but it's not crazy talk. And it doesn't make one a non-christian, nominal christian or un-"believing" Christian.

Lastly, I retract nazi and substitute fascist. It is more accurate (nazism is a subset of fascism) and less inflammatory.

ByFaithAlone
Student

Post #45

Post by ByFaithAlone »

Slopeshoulder wrote: Please read this slowly and with an open mind...

Theologically, yes.

I don't insist it didn't happen, unlike a skeptic or materialist would. And I presented a credible and established philosophical theology, that I did not personally invent, to say how one can affirm the doctrine while questioning historicity, making it a yes answer to the questions not historically, but theologically.
I share your concern about reductionism to fictional "tales" as some skeptics would insist, and i reject the reductionism to ethics that Thomas Jefferson attempted. But I don't think this theology is a reductionism because I don't think our faith is about events, but rather about transofrmative meaning. I think that the scripture is a mythopoetic narrative, and is the way God talks to us. I think it makes Christianity stronger, especially for people who start to question literalism and develop a certain sophistication from engagement with other modern thought forms. And unlike caving in to rationalistic reductionisms, it does maintain orthodoxy, by affirmign the meaning and centrality of core doctrines (the ones you list and many others). All it takes is a shift from magical-history to theological poetry. And again, I didn't make it up. It's pretty mainstream.
Now you can disagree with that, and land and speak from a different place, but it's not crazy talk. And it doesn't make one a non-christian, nominal christian or un-"believing" Christian.
This is an interesting concept. However, a core tenet of most Christian doctrine is the Trinity. If you are anti-trinitarian or atrinitarian than ignore this. If you believe in the Trinity and don't believe in the literal resurrection of Christ, do you believe God is still literally in the grave??? :-k Or do you justify this by saying God is spirit and only Christ's spirit was resurrected???
Slopeshoulder wrote: Lastly, I retract nazi and substitute fascist. It is more accurate (nazism is a subset of fascism) and less inflammatory.
Lol not sure how much less inflammatory that is but that's up to the moderators...

P.S. Thanks to both SS and WP for their kind words and toning down the argument. I think we're getting somewhere now.
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. This is what the ancients were commended for.
Hebrews 11:1-2

Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give a reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect.
1 Peter 3:15

Test everything. Hold on to the good.
1 Thessalonians 5:21

Slopeshoulder
Banned
Banned

Post #46

Post by Slopeshoulder »

ByFaithAlone wrote: This is an interesting concept. However, a core tenet of most Christian doctrine is the Trinity. If you are anti-trinitarian or atrinitarian than ignore this. If you believe in the Trinity and don't believe in the literal resurrection of Christ, do you believe God is still literally in the grave??? :-k Or do you justify this by saying God is spirit and only Christ's spirit was resurrected???
Thanks for asking. I am beat-ass tired, but will do my best...

I'm not anti-trinitarian. I think of the doctrine trinity as the ultimate mystery, and I truly value the work of the councils to hammer it out. In that sense I am quite orthodox. Mystery suits my sensibilities. Of course, being a mystery, it resides at the edge of reason and logic and, as it was taught to me in classes on doctrine of god, the councils understood its supra-rational nature, its scandal to logic (mirroring the scandal of a crucified God), and affirmed it anyway because 1. it seemed to fit their reading of scripture, 2. it seemed to fit their experience of God as maker, redeemer, and sustainer, and 3. speculation about this divine nature IS beyond us, and so to make is sensible is actually to reduce it and insult it and miss the point. So, as it was explained to me, even though they used greek logic, at the last minute they went for mystery, and this is as it should be. I love that they did that. And I love that they refused to collapse this mystery as the parade of what would be heretics tried to do so (only god, only man, etc). These logicians were mystics in the end. That's a VERY big deal. Luv 'em.

I must mention that as I have gotten older, the entire idea of using greek philosophy to comprehend and express God in formulae, strikes me as impossible and wrongheaded, and in the hands of lesser lights, it invites a kind of literalist reduction (as if we have cracked the code entirely). These days I often find eastern philosophy to be more amenable and realistic in this regard (for a brain melt, check out the work of the spanish/catalan-indian Catholic who taught at USC or UCLA or decades: Raimon Pannikar. His book Christophany is an east meets west tour de force, and perfectly orthodox).

So, as the trinity is a mystery from the get go, and the godhead resides outside of history and time (being its ground)and comprehension, it can't really be spoken of in terms of "events." This means that when we say God "sent" his son or spirit, we are always and by definition speaking symbolically; this undermines the literalist. On the other hand, because it is a mstery and not an event, I have ZERO interest in making claims about what it cannot be. It's so beyond me, and I appreciate the work of orthodoxy regarding the doctrine of God so much, that I just accept it and roll with it. Literalism or anti-literalism doesn't enter into it (although why do I sense it will soon enough in this thread?).

Lastly, I'm not too invested in these matters and defer to experts, but to answer your question I guess I'd say that Jesus' body is still in the grave. The ressurection is symbolic, a literary-mythopoetic trope, based apparently upon some cataclysmic events pertaining to Jesus' work, impact, loss, meaning, and role. As I posted way above, I do affirm the ressurection. Something happened, and it wasn't just paul fibbin' or being a visionary genius. but what is is is unknowable to us. But my humble judgment is that it wasn't a literal bodily resurrection, but rather a mass breaking through of transformative insight, based on the Jesus events and Jesus' ministry and the memory and impact of Jesus. Having said that, Christianity is all about ressurection, and it without it, it's dead! Believe that. The whole point is triumph over the spirit of death and everything that means and implies.

But to be honest, I am concerned about the broader theological implications of a body that is not resurrected (even if symbolically), so this weighs on me. Resurrection and redemption are of the whole of us, represented in the body. I'm no fan of Gnosticism, or of a disembodied Christ, and I appreciate and affirm the dismissal by orthodoxy of Gnosticism's (and others, manicheanism? I forget)radical dualism that denigrates the body. I'd have to read more deeply about what others have said. I'm now out of my depth. But I suspect that saying Christ is only spirit and only his spirit resurrected, even if symbolically, is a heresy whose name escapes me. So more work is needed by people of greater ability, learning, and commitment, to articlate a modern but orthodox doctrine of the ressurection. I decided not to be a pro 25 years ago; too stupid. Now I read what they say.

Thank you for letting me express my thoughts and to summarize the thoughts of others, and for challenging me to do so as best I can. I trust that at least you, and perhaps a few others, are willing to engage these thoughts and not dismiss them as gobbledygook or nonsense for emotional and exclusionary reasons. That's refreshing.

WinePusher

Post #47

Post by WinePusher »

Slopeshoulder wrote:[strike]Please read this slowly and with an open mind...[/strike]
Theologically, yes.

You don't affirm it did historically happen. Which is odd, because as a Christian I expect you believe in an omnipotent God that does actively intervene in the world. What you refer to as "magical history" is what I would refer to as Divine Intervention. Events such as the incarnation (not the immaculate conception) the bodily resurrection of Jesus Christ, the virgin birth are all examples of divine intervention by a supernatural agent. So if you do believe in supernatural agent why do you not affirm the historicity of these events? Here are some possible answers:

This supernatural agent does not intervene, making your type of Christianity inherently deistic.
This supernatural agent is not capable of intervening, making your type of Christianity equivalent to naturalism.
Slopeshoulder wrote:[strike]Lastly, I retract nazi and substitute fascist. It is more accurate (nazism is a subset of fascism) and less inflammatory.[/strike]
I don't care and I've striked out the personal comments you put up even after other Christian users have expressed concerns over the type of rhetoric both you and I presented in this thread. But I do laugh at the fact that you consider me some sort of facist extremist considering that you are pretty familiar with what my religious views actually are and how similar they are to yours, whether it be on creationism, biblical literalism and eschatology.
Slopeshoulder wrote:As I posted way above, I do affirm the ressurection. Something happened, and it wasn't just paul fibbin' or being a visionary genius. but what is is is unknowable to us. But my humble judgment is that it wasn't a literal bodily resurrection, but rather a mass breaking through of transformative insight, based on the Jesus events and Jesus' ministry and the memory and impact of Jesus.
A line out of the book of John Dominic Crossan. It was a resurrection of belief in the disciples rather than a literal resurrection of Jesus from the dead. This is a very interesting topic that deserves it's own thread. In my view, it was both. The resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead was the event that resurrected belief and conviction and enlightenment amoung the community of believers. It's puzzling though that you would hold the latter view without accepting the former for the following reasons: What was the "transformative insight?" Actually, this answer can be found in historical writings. The "transformative insight" that fell upon the disciples was a sincere and strong belief in Jesus Christ as God, unless you have something different to add. What was the cause of this "transformative insight?" You admittedly say that the cause of this new found insight is unknowable but that something happened. What prevents you from saying that this "something" was the resurrection of Jesus?

Slopeshoulder
Banned
Banned

Post #48

Post by Slopeshoulder »

WinePusher wrote: You don't affirm it did historically happen.
Right. That should be amply clear by now.
Which is odd, because as a Christian I expect you believe in an omnipotent God that does actively intervene in the world.
I do affirm such a thing, but the details get a little dicey. The Christan God is a god of history. Absolutely. This is the concept. The Jewish one too of course. But honesty requires me to say that exactly what those interventions are is hard to pin down, and we look suspect or even foolish when we try, especially if we have to be anachronistically premodernly-minded in doing so.
What you refer to as "magical history" is what I would refer to as Divine Intervention.
Sure, fair enough. You're free to believe that. It's possible. AGAIN, I don't deny it. But I do think the details get dicey and it would be wrongheaded to take the magical tales in the Bible literally in this regard when 1. they strain credulity, differ frm all our other experience, 2. can be considered to have a literary symbolic function, and 3. that symbolic function reveals meaning that is just as rich. That's my judgement, your mileage may vary. Having said that, I have several things I my own life that feel something like the presence and guiding hand of an interventionsist personal divine agent, aka God. Could be. I try to be open and present myself. Not yet ready to shout it from the rooftops.
Events such as the incarnation (not the immaculate conception) the bodily resurrection of Jesus Christ, the virgin birth are all examples of divine intervention by a supernatural agent. So if you do believe in supernatural agent why do you not affirm the historicity of these events? Here are some possible answers:

This supernatural agent does not intervene, making your type of Christianity inherently deistic.
This supernatural agent is not capable of intervening, making your type of Christianity equivalent to naturalism.
You might think so, but let me offer a third possibility after commenting on these.

First I've always recoiled from Deism, because I think it gives a shallow answer to the wrong question. I think it's an artifact of the enlightenment, and sort of a casualty of the enlightenment best left in the 18th century. It's no more evidentiary than what it rejects and its strikes me as ultimately a coping strategy stuck in a halfway house. I think it's jive.

Second, no, not naturalism. Naturalism-as-religion is a reduction to ethics, which I reject.

What these two have in common is an evidentiary framework. They make and abide in positive truth claims about states of affairs that are unsupportable, and in doing so reduce religion and miss the point of religion.

The third possibility, and the one I embrace, is christian mysticism. This is a huge area, but pertaining to our discussion, the pertinant themes would be these:
- god is unknowable, even while present, and all our discussion of him must be symbolic and humble, radically inadequete.
- god is "beyond" God, beyond even notions like existence, simply because he/it cannot be reduced to earthly categories.
- so even while God can be said to be omnipotent and omnipresent, and yes a god of history, an event paradigm is not the richest way to frame God. Rather, God is closer to a presence and ground than an actor/agent. This is NOT to say that God doesn't and can't do specific interventions, it simply says that our framing of God and experience of God is not best served by emphasiszing this aspect; it represents a common but more pedestrian notion that spiritual adepts and advanced students transcend, a missed opportunity.
- the bible stories are not meant to establish a historical record or prove to us the power of God. Rather they are meant to help us frame God, no matter our sophistication level, in order to affect a transformation and liberation, metanoia and salvation. It's not about what God does, except to say that God is underneath and behind all, and he does things in our hearts through the presence of grace (what rahner called the "transcendental existential," referencing Heidegger).

Over the decades, I have found this strain of christianity and world religion increasingly to be the most satisfying, compelling, and rich. It's not about events and linear thinking (to affirm or deny); it's about shifting, overcoming death, and living a sanctified life, a mini-incarnation, leading with faith, hope, and love, out there at the edge of reason and knowability, falling into poetry and unreason and unknowability, trusting the void, after Kierkegaard. The Bible stories establish a framework, hold a record of faith development, and work for people in a sub-mystical frame of mind. (My only qualm is when otherwise intelligent and modern people start insisting on anachronistic literalism in a way that encroaches upon other people in politics, policy, and morality, and in doing so reduce the possibilities of their faith away from the sublime and toward the pedestrian).

FWIW, we see this same dynamic of literal-magical giving way to symbolic and mystical in other world religions too. People forget that hinduism and buddhism have all sorts of wild tales, and millions of simple peasant/craftsmen adherents who take them literally, including a virgin birth story or two. (BTW, my wife read an academic paper positively comparing catholicism and daosim, as sensual and positive, vs. protestantism and buddhism as austere and cold. I'll try to get my hands on it).
Slopeshoulder wrote:[strike]Lastly, I retract nazi and substitute fascist. It is more accurate (nazism is a subset of fascism) and less inflammatory.[/strike]
I don't care and I've striked out the personal comments you put up even after other Christian users have expressed concerns over the type of rhetoric both you and I presented in this thread. But I do laugh at the fact that you consider me some sort of facist extremist considering that you are pretty familiar with what my religious views actually are and how similar they are to yours, whether it be on creationism, biblical literalism and eschatology.
First, how DO you actually use the strike finction? Shermana and IAMALLIAM tempt me to make liberal use of it rather than bothering with these time consuming responses! :lol: :lol:

Let's put this to rest: I don't label you a fascist. I simply point out that, an inarguable fact, the hard right in america and elsewhere has fascist tendencies, inclinations, and analogies, by definition. And that I see some of this is your religous and political ideas, your hero's ideas, and your expression and tactics. If the shoe fits... I refer you to Umberto Eco's 14 points of universal fascism. It has many faces and looks different in each incarnation. For example, if this were the early 30's and you were in Spain, I find it hard to believe you would not be an activist supporter of Franco. Today, in America we see it taking other forms. This is not an insult, it is an analysis, and a warning to readers. I would be DELIGHTED to be wrong, I assure you. Give me a good old conservative any time.
Slopeshoulder wrote:As I posted way above, I do affirm the ressurection. Something happened, and it wasn't just paul fibbin' or being a visionary genius. but what is is is unknowable to us. But my humble judgment is that it wasn't a literal bodily resurrection, but rather a mass breaking through of transformative insight, based on the Jesus events and Jesus' ministry and the memory and impact of Jesus.
A line out of the book of John Dominic Crossan.
Possibly. But I've read very little Crossan. I don't like his reduction to politics, or his insistence.
It was a resurrection of belief in the disciples rather than a literal resurrection of Jesus from the dead.

Sure, why not? That and more though.
This is a very interesting topic that deserves it's own thread. In my view, it was both. The resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead was the event that resurrected belief and conviction and enlightenment amoung the community of believers.
Sure, could be. I don't deny it or claim it is impossible. That would be an evidentiary reductionism that I reject. Or possibly the belief in it took hold as the insight got translated via a premodern mindset where deep meaning and tall tales intersected in myth in a way that is lost to us today. I find myth-based interpretations to be more compelling, and sufficiently orthodox if done with nuance and faithfulness.
It's puzzling though that you would hold the latter view without accepting the former for the following reasons: What was the "transformative insight?"
The briefest and barely adequate answer is that a crucifed inacarnated god-man held the key, through everything he said, did, was, and meant, to effective triumph over death, transform consciosuness, liberate us from sin and death, complete a covenant, shift an ethic, fark the Romans, and radically fulfill the divine-human project as envisioned by the Jews, for the whole world.
Actually, this answer can be found in historical writings. The "transformative insight" that fell upon the disciples was a sincere and strong belief in Jesus Christ as God, unless you have something different to add.
Yes, and all that means.
What was the cause of this "transformative insight?" You admittedly say that the cause of this new found insight is unknowable but that something happened.
I'd be speculating. I don't know. I read Josh McDowell's Evicence that Demands a Verdict some 30 years ago at some fundyfriend's insistence, and wasn't convinced. (That started my liberal journey, because while ol' Josh struck me as a clown, the christian existentialists had me by the throat).

It probably started with the sages/visionaries, fueled among the people responding to the roman boot and the messianic ethos, and spread like wildfire, aided by the premodern mindset (which is fine with me, I like myth and sometimes envy the premoderns). I'm not sure an actual physical ressurection is required once the symbolism amd mometum took hold. The ancients believed all sorts of magical things that were replete with meaning, including the greeks and romans, from the most simple to the most sophisticated person. The issue is: what are to make of it, and do with it, in our contemporary context? Liberals suggest that reappropriation is the most faithful thing we can do.

But this is a judgment call. The POINT is that we are both free to believe what we want, be called Christian, and have whatever derision we fling be based on ideas and perhaps the character of the person holding these ideas, NOT impugning one's status as a believeing, confessing, apologizing Christian, as you so odiously attempted in the OP and for which your recieved a SS Smackdown. :lol:
What prevents you from saying that this "something" was the resurrection of Jesus?
1. a modern mindset, or let's say a mindset that tries to balance the premodern, modern, and postmodern. For me that means reason, meets myth, meets presence/prayer, in equal measure, which BTW is a very catholic mindset.
2. satisfaction with other interpretations that focus on meaning rather than events.
3. confidence that at least one of these other interpretations passes orthodox muster. The challenge to the theologian is to find which one. Even I don't wish to be a heretic.

Braveheart
Banned
Banned

Post #49

Post by Braveheart »

Lastly, I'm not too invested in these matters and defer to experts, but to answer your question I guess I'd say that Jesus' body is still in the grave. The ressurection is symbolic, a literary-mythopoetic trope, based apparently upon some cataclysmic events pertaining to Jesus' work, impact, loss, meaning, and role. As I posted way above, I do affirm the ressurection. Something happened, and it wasn't just paul fibbin' or being a visionary genius. but what is is is unknowable to us. But my humble judgment is that it wasn't a literal bodily resurrection, but rather a mass breaking through of transformative insight, based on the Jesus events and Jesus' ministry and the memory and impact of Jesus. Having said that, Christianity is all about ressurection, and it without it, it's dead! Believe that. The whole point is triumph over the spirit of death and everything that means and implies.[quote]

Wow...just wow. I think that actually might give me grounds to charge you with heresy. It has always been the belief of Christians that Jesus Christ rose from the dead spiritually and bodily. In short, you're not gonna' find His body. I guess what you're saying is that somewhere God's body, yes God's, the God who created the Heavens and the Earth, somewhere there is a skeleton that is God's skeleton lying in a pit? The bible makes it explicitly clear that Jesus Christ rose from the dead. Besides the Gospel accounts, Paul talks about the resurrection in 1st Corinthians 15: 1-11

1 Now, brothers and sisters, I want to remind you of the gospel I preached to you, which you received and on which you have taken your stand. 2 By this gospel you are saved, if you hold firmly to the word I preached to you. Otherwise, you have believed in vain.
3 For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance[a]: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, 4 that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures, 5 and that he appeared to Cephas, and then to the Twelve. 6 After that, he appeared to more than five hundred of the brothers and sisters at the same time, most of whom are still living, though some have fallen asleep. 7 Then he appeared to James, then to all the apostles, 8 and last of all he appeared to me also, as to one abnormally born.

9 For I am the least of the apostles and do not even deserve to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God. 10 But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace to me was not without effect. No, I worked harder than all of them—yet not I, but the grace of God that was with me. 11 Whether, then, it is I or they, this is what we preach, and this is what you believed.

I believe it too, and all Christians are required to. I retract calling you "not a Christian" however true it may be, but I will go so far as to say you are not a Catholic. Because of your heretical views I believe this is enough to excommunicate you. Why don't you take a closer look at what being a Catholic means. One more thing, why do you have yourself under the usergroups of both Christian and Buddhist?
I am not afraid... I was born to do this.
Joan of Arc :2gun:

Peace if possible, truth at all costs.
Martin Luther

The Church of God she will not bend her knees
To the gods of this world though they promise her peace
She stands her ground
Stands firm on the Rock
Watch their walls tumble down when she lives out His love
Rich Mullins

Slopeshoulder
Banned
Banned

Post #50

Post by Slopeshoulder »

Lastly, I'm not too invested in these matters and defer to experts, but to answer your question I guess I'd say that Jesus' body is still in the grave. The ressurection is symbolic, a literary-mythopoetic trope, based apparently upon some cataclysmic events pertaining to Jesus' work, impact, loss, meaning, and role. As I posted way above, I do affirm the ressurection. Something happened, and it wasn't just paul fibbin' or being a visionary genius. but what is is is unknowable to us. But my humble judgment is that it wasn't a literal bodily resurrection, but rather a mass breaking through of transformative insight, based on the Jesus events and Jesus' ministry and the memory and impact of Jesus. Having said that, Christianity is all about ressurection, and it without it, it's dead! Believe that. The whole point is triumph over the spirit of death and everything that means and implies.
Wow...just wow. I think that actually might give me grounds to charge you with heresy.
Knock yourself out. I'll be here.
Except that I answer, if at all, to the pope, not you. You're nobody when it comes to heresy and all that. Just a dude with his underpants in a twist.
Having studied at much greater length than you, I'm pretty sure I'd prevail in a "trial" as I've repeatedly stated. Indeed, it would never come to trial.
The body may be mystical, not physical. "The mystical body of Christ." Me and the pro theologians would understand each other right away and work it out. They'd probably ask me to keep it on the down low and not shake up the faithful becase most people can't handle it. I'd agree and honor that request, with you as my evidence. Then we'd go get a killer meal in Rome, courtesy of the collection plate.
Literalism is not required once you graduate to the big boy pool. Are you man enough? It's usually by invitation only. I'd vote no.

And BTW you ignored what I wrote about the resurrected body farther down.

It has always been the belief of Christians that Jesus Christ rose from the dead spiritually and bodily. In short, you're not gonna' find His body. I guess what you're saying is that somewhere God's body, yes God's, the God who created the Heavens and the Earth, somewhere there is a skeleton that is God's skeleton lying in a pit?
Um...you missed what i wrote in my post. I hope the above re: mystical body helps.
The bible makes it explicitly clear that Jesus Christ rose from the dead.
Says you.
Besides the Gospel accounts, Paul talks about the resurrection in 1st Corinthians 15: 1-11

1 Now, brothers and sisters, I want to remind you of the gospel I preached to you, which you received and on which you have taken your stand. 2 By this gospel you are saved, if you hold firmly to the word I preached to you. Otherwise, you have believed in vain.
3 For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance[a]: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, 4 that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures, 5 and that he appeared to Cephas, and then to the Twelve. 6 After that, he appeared to more than five hundred of the brothers and sisters at the same time, most of whom are still living, though some have fallen asleep. 7 Then he appeared to James, then to all the apostles, 8 and last of all he appeared to me also, as to one abnormally born.

9 For I am the least of the apostles and do not even deserve to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God. 10 But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace to me was not without effect. No, I worked harder than all of them—yet not I, but the grace of God that was with me. 11 Whether, then, it is I or they, this is what we preach, and this is what you believed.

Do you imagine for a minute that I've never read that? And closely?
I'm not a biblical fundamentalist, and so I look to the best modern thoelogy for my cues. As a catholic, you're sort of encouraged to do that. What's the prob? Works for me, check it out bro!

I don't take Paul at face value. Because Paul may have meant something more subtle than you realize. His whole trip might be an exercise in symbolic rhetoric for a premodern audience that you have misappropriated by taking it literally on 2011. See? Bible 101 in div school.

I believe it too, and all Christians are required to.

No, you believe your interpretation. And I call that interpretation wrong.

I retract calling you "not a Christian"

Spaketh like a gentleman sir. Cheers.

however true it may be, but I will go so far as to say you are not a Catholic.

Funny, I got a lot of this stuff from catholics. I'm pretty sure I'm catholic. I ain't been excommunicated. And you don't get to decide. But if you'd like to make my excommunication your new cause, have at it. In the meantine, zip it. It's a rule violation by a dfferent name.

Because of your heretical views I believe this is enough to excommunicate you.

Your opinion is worthless in this matter.

Why don't you take a closer look at what being a Catholic means.

I strongly suggest you do the same. I've done so almost daily for 30 years, sitting at the feet of some great catholics. They laugh at your kind of catholic, the cathechism obsessed entry level types. Fact is, the heat in my kitchen is too hot. Boo hoo, it still has a catholic plaque outside and you are not empowered to tear it off. Deal with it.

One more thing, why do you have yourself under the usergroups of both Christian and Buddhist?

Three reasons:
- while at harvard in '84 I met a guy who ran the world religion center who introduced me to the idea of the "hyphenated christian" and I thought it was a cool idea.
- I'm not a practicing buddhist; I haven't signed up. But I like it a lot, admire it a lot. I first learned to do so from...wait for it...the Catholic Thomas Merton, in his books contemplative prayer and mystics and zen masters, among others. Since then I've been intrigued by the work of missionaries, monks, and scholars in the christian-buddhist encounter.
- It's the internet, not a registry office; I joined everything I found intruiging and had a positive regard for. I also joined daoism. I'd join bahai or hindu or sikh or christian humanist too if they existed here. But at the end of the day, postmodern christianity and catholicism (anglican and eastern as much as roman) are my primary mindset, my way of thinking, my lens, my home, and I honor my background and the jesuits who educated me and my wife. And I feel welcome and at home there because among the elites there's a lot of them like me. :blink: :shock: O:)

Was this a "gotcha"? If so, epic fail.
Last edited by Slopeshoulder on Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.