Savant

what did Jesus really look like?

Post #1

Post by JehovahsWitness »

What did Jesus really look like?

Jehovah's Witness illustrations are probably closer
to the historical reality
http://www.biblicalarchaeology.org/dail ... look-like/

I have looked and looked on the net and can find nothing comparable... have you come across any illustrations of Jesus with short hair, a dark commplexion and middle eastern features?

If so please share!

JW

Darias
Guru

Post #2

Post by Darias »

Yeah. Here are a few:

There are Christians all over the world; here is, I believe a Coptic or some other group's depiction:

I find it ironic that if Jesus was alive today, many of his followers would feel uncomfortable being on a plane with him.

Just because we can pretty much rule out the fact that Jesus, the man, wasn't Scandanavian -- and just because some Christian groups eventually realized this and subsequently adjusted their artistic depictions -- it doesn't mean one Christian group is more correct than another. It certainly doesn't mean Jesus was anything but a man, if he even existed of all. All it means is that he was a Mizrahi Jew, not an African American, not a Caucasian, not an Asian Jew, not even an Ashkenazi Jew (a group which didn't exist yet, Jews who intermingled with European populations during the Middle Ages) -- but a Middle-Eastern Jew -- essentially ethnically inseparable from an Arab Palestinian.

So what does that mean exactly? Well inherently nothing. Some might argue that the race of Jesus is important because that show's God's racial favoritism. Others just like to think Jesus has the same skin color and cultural values as themselves. But in the end it just means that Jesus was a Middle Eastern Jew. Perhaps there is some justice in Christian acknowledgement of this -- because for so much of Christian history, Jews have been killed and tortured because Christ was deemed "not-Jewish" and Jews were deemed "Christ killers." It doesn't justify what Christians did in the past, but at least it means that some truth about who Christ actually was has finally been acknowledged in Christian circles.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #3

Ha, I'm not sure about the face veil but could you provide a source for the first picture, its pretty close the JEHOVAH'S WITNESS version and I could like to see where it came from (its an artists impression of Jesus right?... that's what I'm looking for!)

Thanks in advance for stating your sources.

JW

yaright
Student

Post #4

Post by yaright »

JehovahsWitness wrote:Ha, I'm not sure about the face veil but could you provide a source for the first picture, its pretty close the JEHOVAH'S WITNESS version and I could like to see where it came from (its an artists impression of Jesus right?... that's what I'm looking for!)

Thanks in advance for stating your sources.

JW
I hope this post is done in artistic value and not truth. To lift up any image in the name of a religion is an unfortunate thing. To lift up any single image and say this is what Christ looked like, is to exclude how followers perceive Jesus on a personal level. To add the disclaimer "This is what Jesus probably looked like" is no less a deception than to say, this is what Jesus looked like, as if He is dead.

Jesus forwarded a gift of understanding even to this present time, and the generations who come after us, concerning what He looks like. And He did this in a unique way. This biblical concept of language is out of reach of the things which seem right to a man. Jesus reveals this image (because we are made in His image) on two ends of a spectrum concerning sheep and goats. By way of Creation language, Jesus reveals why it becomes necessary for creatures to teach us who we are and why we are that way in His sight. The New Testament parable language of separating sheep from the goats reveals something the afore mentioned artists could not perceive. These things of men are not the image we should be looking for; but painting the 'nature' of a creature (according to each kind) on canvass cannot be done except from within. Understanding the 'nature' is greater than the image. It is a language hidden in plain sight.

Matthew 25;31 thru 40 holds greater significance than can be fully perceived in the hearts of men. To say Jesus looks like someone from 'this' nation or 'that' nation reveals incredible prejudice. If we do not perceive the words;

"I was hungry and you gave Me food; I was thirsty and you gave Me drink; I was a stranger and you took Me in; I was naked and you clothed Me; I was sick and you visited Me; I was in prison and you came to Me." As pertaining to Jesus Christ;
As pertaining to every nation on this earth, than we have forsaken those whom Jesus came for.

As I read over what I've given witness to, I see the need to say that I consider you brothers and sisters in Christ. I am not against Christianity. This is how strongly I feel in my personal walk with Jesus. I do not write this way to offend the body of Christ's Church.

I don't particularly care to go camping in the snow; But I love to go fishing in the streets.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #5

[Replying to post 4 by yaright]

Of course no one knows for sure but the image I found on the internet is not unrealistic for someone from that region.

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8