I can deny it no longer...

Where Christians can get together and discuss

Moderator: Moderators

rosey
Apprentice

I can deny it no longer...

Post #1

Post by rosey »

I recently finished a book titled I don't have enough faith to be an Atheist. The book lists not only the major holes in atheism, (which I knew very little of when I was an atheist) but the logic and rationality of the Christian religion. I am confident that the only way I could have rejected what this book says is by living in complete denial of the facts it presents... maybe I should have been . After reading this book, and consulting with some of my family, I have decided to convert to Christianity.

I would recomend this book to both Christians and atheists alike, as a faith strengthener, and as a converter.

St. Anger
Apprentice

Post #2

Post by St. Anger »

Congratulations Rosey!! It's always good to see new recruits to the truth. Have you decided what sort of Christian you will be? Catholic, Protestant, on fire, lukewarm, liberal, conservative? (I'd recommend Catholicism.) 8-)
“The word "good" has many meanings. For example, if a man were to shoot his grandmother at a range of five hundred yards, I should call him a good shot, but not necessarily a good man.�

G.K. Chesterton

Am I buggin' you? Don't mean ta' bug ya'!

Bono

I am Death. Vengeance is mine! God's fury rains down on you!

Darias
Guru

Re: I can deny it no longer...

Post #3

Post by Darias »

rosey wrote: I recently finished a book titled I don't have enough faith to be an Atheist. The book lists not only the major holes in atheism, (which I knew very little of when I was an atheist) but the logic and rationality of the Christian religion. I am confident that the only way I could have rejected what this book says is by living in complete denial of the facts it presents... maybe I should have been . After reading this book, and consulting with some of my family, I have decided to convert to Christianity.

I would recomend this book to both Christians and atheists alike, as a faith strengthener, and as a converter.

That's interesting.

Not to sound rude, but I don't feel like congratulating you would be appropriate on my part. And it's because I'm coming at this from the other side. It would be irresponsible of me not to warn you about what you could be getting into.

I was raised Christian. I was born into this and I've heard lots of arguments not only for the existence of a deity but for the "truth" of the Christian religion -- none of them have satisfied me enough to claim belief today -- because I am for all intents and purposes, an agnostic non-theist. The reason I didn't become a non-theist sooner was because I was emotionally invested in a belief system that even I knew didn't make any sense. I was born a believer, so there weren't any arguments that convinced me of belief -- rather it was "spiritual" experience, family, and community that deluded me to believe in things I had no knowledge and evidence of.

Now, I am very curious about that book; I might even buy it but I'm afraid it might just be another apologist making the same old fallacies that others have made in the past.

I would like to know, what was the home-run argument in that book that not only convinced you that lack of belief in a non-evidenced deity is wrongheaded, but also that the Christian religion is true? You do understand that these issues are completely separate, and that even if withholding belief in a non-proven deity was somehow a bad thing -- how does that lead to the truth of the Christian religion, never mind the particular doctrinal flavor of said specific religion?

As with any belief, there is a cost. I'm not even trying to tell you what to think, but I feel it is important I let you know some things about Christian apologetics.

You can go here: http://wiki.ironchariots.org/index.php? ... nce_of_God

and read some of the arguments for the existence of god and counter arguments.

That is assuming your journey of understanding isn't over now that you have converted...

Best wishes