Self Defense...

Where Christians can get together and discuss

Moderator: Moderators

St. Anger
Apprentice

Self Defense...

Post #1

Post by St. Anger »

As Christians, can we defend ourselves, or others, who are being violently attacked, raped, etc., with a firearm? More importantly, can we shoot to kill?
“The word "good" has many meanings. For example, if a man were to shoot his grandmother at a range of five hundred yards, I should call him a good shot, but not necessarily a good man.�

G.K. Chesterton

Am I buggin' you? Don't mean ta' bug ya'!

Bono

I am Death. Vengeance is mine! God's fury rains down on you!

puddleglum
Sage

Post #2

Post by puddleglum »

Jesus said something to his disciples that I believe answers your question:
And he said to them, “When I sent you out with no moneybag or knapsack or sandals, did you lack anything?� They said, “Nothing.� He said to them, “But now let the one who has a moneybag take it, and likewise a knapsack. And let the one who has no sword sell his cloak and buy one. For I tell you that this Scripture must be fulfilled in me: ‘And he was numbered with the transgressors.’ For what is written about me has its fulfillment.� And they said, “Look, Lord, here are two swords.� And he said to them, “It is enough.�
(Luke 22:35-38 ESV)
Swords in Jesus' time were the equivalent of guns today. He wouldn't have given this command unless it was permissable to use swords and since the function of swords is to kill there must be times when Christians are allowed to kill.

If we see someone being attacked we not only can but must defend him if we have the means to do so. If we can stop the attacker without killing we should do so but it is better to kill him than to allow him to harm someone else.
His invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made.
Romans 1:20 ESV

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Re: Self Defense...

Post #3

Post by ttruscott »

St. Anger wrote: As Christians, can we defend ourselves, or others, who are being violently attacked, raped, etc., with a firearm? More importantly, can we shoot to kill?
Of course...

I am a pacifist by nature but I refuse to be a victim by choice.

Peace, Ted
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

Fides et Veritas
Student

Post #4

Post by Fides et Veritas »

theophilus40 wrote: Jesus said something to his disciples that I believe answers your question:
And he said to them, “When I sent you out with no moneybag or knapsack or sandals, did you lack anything?� They said, “Nothing.� He said to them, “But now let the one who has a moneybag take it, and likewise a knapsack. And let the one who has no sword sell his cloak and buy one. For I tell you that this Scripture must be fulfilled in me: ‘And he was numbered with the transgressors.’ For what is written about me has its fulfillment.� And they said, “Look, Lord, here are two swords.� And he said to them, “It is enough.�
(Luke 22:35-38 ESV)
Swords in Jesus' time were the equivalent of guns today. He wouldn't have given this command unless it was permissable to use swords and since the function of swords is to kill there must be times when Christians are allowed to kill.

If we see someone being attacked we not only can but must defend him if we have the means to do so. If we can stop the attacker without killing we should do so but it is better to kill him than to allow him to harm someone else.
By itself this verse does seem to point to what you wish it to say, however, there are other verses that one must also consider to gain the full picture of what Christ taught on this subject.
John 18:36 “Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence.�

And

Matthew 5:39 “But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.�

Also

Exodus 20:13 “Thou shalt not kill.�

As well as

Romans 12:19 “Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.�

Now, in all fairness, I carry concealed. I have a Stoeger Double Defense 12 guage and a Sig P226 and P220 ready to go at night. I carry a Sig 229 on me. The shotgun has one round that is not much more than real bad buck shot that will most likely be no lethal the next is a double ot buck that will certainly kill.
The P220, P226 and P229 are fully loaded with Speer Gold Dot HPs, however the first two round in the P226 and P229 and the first round in the P220 are all safety slugs. They will do tissue damage for sure but will hurt more than anything. After that it is all HPs and you had better have already fled or submitted. I recognize that God says not to kill; I pray fervently to never have to use my guns to do so. However, I must admit that my faith is not strong enough to be unarmed.
"A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell." — C.S. Lewis

puddleglum
Sage

Post #5

Post by puddleglum »

Fides et Veritas wrote: By itself this verse does seem to point to what you wish it to say, however, there are other verses that one must also consider to gain the full picture of what Christ taught on this subject.
John 18:36 “Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence.�
He is referring to a specific situation: his arrest. He voluntarily submitted to arrest because he came to earth to die for our sins and this was a necessary step to accomplish his purpose.
Matthew 5:39 “But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.�
He said that we are to turn the other cheek if someone strikes us on the right cheek. Since most people are right handed a person who strikes another on the right cheek would be hitting him with the back of his hand. Jesus wasn't speaking of an attack that we intended to afflict injury but to a way of insulting another person. We aren't to retaliate against insults that don't involve physical harm.
Exodus 20:13 “Thou shalt not kill.�
Nearly every Bible translation uses the word murder instead of kill in this verse. Killing is self defense isn't considered murder.
Romans 12:19 “Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.�
This prohibits vengeance, not defense.
His invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made.
Romans 1:20 ESV

Aetixintro
Site Supporter

Self defence - We must defend ourselves... It's a duty

Post #6

Post by Aetixintro »

Then one good verse to remember for this weapon purpose of self-defence:

Psalm 149
King James Version (KJV)
149 Praise ye the Lord. Sing unto the Lord a new song, and his praise in the congregation of saints.
2 Let Israel rejoice in him that made him: let the children of Zion be joyful in their King.
3 Let them praise his name in the dance: let them sing praises unto him with the timbrel and harp.
4 For the Lord taketh pleasure in his people: he will beautify the meek with salvation.
5 Let the saints be joyful in glory: let them sing aloud upon their beds.
6 Let the high praises of God be in their mouth, and a two-edged sword in their hand;

I suggest that being prepared for self-defence is as important as bringing the word of the Bible. If you're not ready to grant other people their rights to self-defence they don't need your word of the Bible either!

To see a loved one being tortured before your eyes is destructive to belief in Christianity. And if people are to be tortured by other Christians or by Christians approval, then they are Christians NO MORE, ever failing the possibility to bring the word of the Bible AGAIN (British: AGAIN)!

---
(Edit:) The Bible also says something about defeating the Barbarians, the Heathens, they who can't comply with decency, with civilisation.
I'm cool! :) - Stronger Religion every day! Also by "mathematical Religion", the eternal forms, God closing the door on corrupt humanity, possibly!

fred barclay
Student

Post #7

Post by fred barclay »

I agree that it is okay and even good for Christians to defend themselves and others. Yes, Jesus said that bit about His servants not fighting for Him. But it is important to note that self-defense, or military service, is not fighting for Jesus. Fighting for Him would be like advancing Christianity at gunpoint--"convert or die."
With that said, I struggle with this in my own life. I would have no problem shooting to kill to protect others. But killing to protect myself--I wonder how I would feel afterwards knowing that I killed someone and am the reason they are in Hell. Yes, they chose to try to harm me, but I actually killed them. My only consolation would be that if they had killed me they might kill someone else, and then I am defending the victim by proxy.
Anyway, my self-survival instinct is alive and well.
My prayer is that I will never in civilian life be called upon to do this.