From atheism to Christianity

Where Christians can get together and discuss

Moderator: Moderators

puddleglum
Sage

From atheism to Christianity

Post #1

Post by puddleglum »

I have spent a lot of time on internet forums debating atheists and trying to convince them that God exists and the Bible is true. I usually tried to show them that the existence of God is the only logical explanation for the existence of the universe and I pointed out scientific evidence that shows that the theory of evolution can’t be true. However I have come to believe that I was going about this in the wrong way. This conclusion is based on hearing two former atheists tell how they became Christians.

The first is someone I know personally. He had a long conversation with a pastor which ended with the pastor explaining to him how to be saved. He said he was an atheist and didn’t believe in God, and that ended the conversation.

Over the next few days thoughts about God and about right and wrong kept entering his mind and he came to the conclusion that there really was a God. Since the pastor had told him how to be saved he knew what he needed to do to become a Christian and so was saved.

Later I read an online account by a former atheist who told how she became a Christian.
Two weeks ago I was visiting with one of my clients (I work in disability support) and her Pastor stopped by. We got talking about this and that and I was suddenly moved to tears and felt like I was literally being tapped on the shoulder and asked to follow Jesus. I went home and began to read a pamphlet the Pastor gave me that explained why there was good and evil in the world. Then I started to read the New Testament because I felt like Jesus was reaching out to me and I wanted to know his story and teachings.

I have never felt such serenity and optimism in my life as in this last week or so. I have laid down my burden of sin and accepted a new loving presence into my body. I look to Christ for the example of how to live my life and interact with my fellow man. If I always ask myself “what would He do?� I have my answer for every situation that can cross my path. What a blessing in this crazy modern world!
Neither of these people was convinced of the existence of God because of a logical argument. In both cases someone simply explained the gospel to them and they came to believe it.

There is one more factor that isn’t mentioned. I personally knew the pastor involved in the first case and I am certain that after his conversation he spent time praying about it. I don’t know any of the people involved in the second case but I think it is very likely that the pastor involved prayed too.

Most of the time I have spent debating atheists has been wasted because of a Bible principle that I failed to follow.
And I, when I came to you, brothers, did not come proclaiming to you the testimony of God with lofty speech or wisdom. For I decided to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ and him crucified. And I was with you in weakness and in fear and much trembling, and my speech and my message were not in plausible words of wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, so that your faith might not rest in the wisdom of men but in the power of God.
1 Corinthians 2:1-5
I was relying on my own knowledge and wisdom to try to convince atheists of the truth but it is only the power of the Holy Spirit that can convert people. The way to convert an atheist or any other unbeliever is to give them all the information that they need to be saved and then pray that God will cause them to believe it.

There is a saying: “When all else fails go back and read the instructions.� This is very good advice, especially when the instructions are found in the Bible.
His invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made.
Romans 1:20 ESV

dbohm
Site Supporter

Re: From atheism to Christianity

Post #2

Post by dbohm »

[Replying to post 1 by theophilus40]

I think you are right theo. I don't think it's entirely pointless to show the reasonableness of faith but ultimately it is not enough to accept the gospel.

Speaking from my own experience even when I rejected theism and Christianity, it always seemed faintly disingenuous. I had strong objections. Yet deep down I felt that these objections could somehow be answered. I suspect there are many atheists who feel likewise.

The more we dedicate ourselves to prayer and follow in the footsteps of our Master, the less ground the atheist will have to stand on. And eventually we know that ten men from all the nations will grasp the garment of one Jew, saying, "Let us go with you, for we have heard that God is with you." Zech 8:23

BlackEyedGhost
Student

Re: From atheism to Christianity

Post #3

Post by BlackEyedGhost »

[Replying to post 1 by theophilus40]

A question I've often pondered since I was a brother in arms in the atheist forums. The answer: The teachings of Jesus. The teachings of Jesus are ingenious and define what makes a Christian a Christian. They are an observable, solid surface that no amount of disbelief in the supernatural can deny. Atheists often hate superstition and love wisdom. Jesus was very wise and supported all of His arguments beyond what could be refuted. However, a forum is not really a place for preaching. So what I suggest is to simply bring up the specific words Jesus spoke whenever explaining your position. That way, you're not just acting in your own strength, you're appealing to the true authority on the topic. And who knows? Maybe someone's interest will be piqued by you quoting Jesus and will decide to look into it further. Just keep in mind, the people who most often respond to you are the ones with more extreme persuasions. They'll not be convinced easily.