Insanity

Where Christians can get together and discuss

Moderator: Moderators

puddleglum
Sage

Insanity

Post #1

Post by puddleglum »

On one occasion, while the crowd was pressing in on him to hear the word of God, Jesus was standing by the lake of Gennesaret, and he saw two boats by the lake, but the fishermen had gone out of them and were washing their nets. Getting into one of the boats, which was Simon’s, he asked him to put out a little from the land. And he sat down and taught the people from the boat.

And when he had finished speaking, he said to Simon, “Put out into the deep and let down your nets for a catch.�

And Simon answered, “Master, we toiled all night and took nothing! But at your word I will let down the nets.�
Luke 5:1-5 ESV
Albert Einstein defined insanity as “doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results�. By Einstein’s definition Simon’s response to Jesus was insane. Not only had he fished all night without results but he was a professional fisherman while Jesus was a carpenter. Logically he should have been the one telling Jesus how to fish.

In this case doing the same thing over again did produce different results.
And when they had done this, they enclosed a large number of fish, and their nets were breaking. They signaled to their partners in the other boat to come and help them. And they came and filled both the boats, so that they began to sink.
Luke 5:6-7 ESV
The large catch of fish was only the beginning.
But when Simon Peter saw it, he fell down at Jesus’ knees, saying, “Depart from me, for I am a sinful man, O Lord.�
Luke 5:8 ESV
The miracle opened Simon’s eyes to who Jesus really was. He recognized both his sinfulness and Jesus’ sinlessness and realized that he didn’t deserve to be in the presence of Jesus.

He was now called Simon Peter, not just Simon. When they first met Jesus had told him he would receive a new name.
Jesus looked at him and said, “You are Simon the son of John. You shall be called Cephas� (which means Peter).
John 1:42 ESV
The name Peter means rock and Jesus was foretelling that he would undergo a change in character that would make him stronger and more dependable. The first step in that transformation had just taken place.

The greatest result of Simon’s decision was that he and his partners would leave the fishing business and adopt a completely new profession.
He and all who were with him were astonished at the catch of fish that they had taken, and so also were James and John, sons of Zebedee, who were partners with Simon. And Jesus said to Simon, “Do not be afraid; from now on you will be catching men.�
And when they had brought their boats to land, they left everything and followed him.
Luke 5:9-11 ESV
Why did Simon’s first and second attempts at fishing produce different results? The first time he was simply doing what he wanted to do; the second time he was doing what Jesus told him to do. God often commands us to do things that don’t make sense to us but obeying him always produces good results.
The foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men.
1 Corinthians 1:25 ESV
And the insanity of God is more rational than men.
His invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made.
Romans 1:20 ESV

Volbrigade
Banned
Banned

Re: Insanity

Post #2

Post by Volbrigade »

theophilus40 wrote:
On one occasion, while the crowd was pressing in on him to hear the word of God, Jesus was standing by the lake of Gennesaret, and he saw two boats by the lake, but the fishermen had gone out of them and were washing their nets. Getting into one of the boats, which was Simon’s, he asked him to put out a little from the land. And he sat down and taught the people from the boat.

And when he had finished speaking, he said to Simon, “Put out into the deep and let down your nets for a catch.�

And Simon answered, “Master, we toiled all night and took nothing! But at your word I will let down the nets.�
Luke 5:1-5 ESV
Albert Einstein defined insanity as “doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results�. By Einstein’s definition Simon’s response to Jesus was insane. Not only had he fished all night without results but he was a professional fisherman while Jesus was a carpenter. Logically he should have been the one telling Jesus how to fish.

In this case doing the same thing over again did produce different results.
And when they had done this, they enclosed a large number of fish, and their nets were breaking. They signaled to their partners in the other boat to come and help them. And they came and filled both the boats, so that they began to sink.
Luke 5:6-7 ESV
The large catch of fish was only the beginning.
But when Simon Peter saw it, he fell down at Jesus’ knees, saying, “Depart from me, for I am a sinful man, O Lord.�
Luke 5:8 ESV
The miracle opened Simon’s eyes to who Jesus really was. He recognized both his sinfulness and Jesus’ sinlessness and realized that he didn’t deserve to be in the presence of Jesus.

He was now called Simon Peter, not just Simon. When they first met Jesus had told him he would receive a new name.
Jesus looked at him and said, “You are Simon the son of John. You shall be called Cephas� (which means Peter).
John 1:42 ESV
The name Peter means rock and Jesus was foretelling that he would undergo a change in character that would make him stronger and more dependable. The first step in that transformation had just taken place.

The greatest result of Simon’s decision was that he and his partners would leave the fishing business and adopt a completely new profession.
He and all who were with him were astonished at the catch of fish that they had taken, and so also were James and John, sons of Zebedee, who were partners with Simon. And Jesus said to Simon, “Do not be afraid; from now on you will be catching men.�
And when they had brought their boats to land, they left everything and followed him.
Luke 5:9-11 ESV
Why did Simon’s first and second attempts at fishing produce different results? The first time he was simply doing what he wanted to do; the second time he was doing what Jesus told him to do. God often commands us to do things that don’t make sense to us but obeying him always produces good results.
The foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men.
1 Corinthians 1:25 ESV
And the insanity of God is more rational than men.
Well done, sir!

You need look no further than the ever-present blathering over Evolution on this site, and ubiquitously on the web, to observe first hand the endarkened "rationality" of men.

Mechanisms by which dinosaurs magically sprouted wings and became birds (which gradually produced feathers, via natural selection -- you need to think about that one for a moment ;) ), which have not been determined because they do not exist, are issued ad hoc and unreflected occurrence and acceptance. Meanwhile, objections are raised to Special Creation on the grounds that it doesn't explain the fossil record -- by a poster who contributed to a thread which discusses at length Noah's Food as the source of the fossil record ("Science and Religion": 'The History of Air'; 'Just a Theory').

Before we accept Christ, we are dead in our sins (worse, we can become dead TO our sins -- the malaise of our "anything goes", permissive pagan culture).

More than that, there is a sense -- no matter how great the one God has given us (eg., Stephen Hawking) -- in which we are dead in our intellect, prior to its being brought into right relation with our Lord and Savior.

Aetixintro
Site Supporter

Thanks for discussion - Psychiatry may prove us right

Post #3

Post by Aetixintro »

Given the discussion, I can, by my name, assure truly Religious people to remain confident. Here's why, the combatting of schizophrenia is on our side, with us rejecting the Cardinal Sin of Pride specifically, and the other Cardinal Sins, 6, else:

"Schizophrenia. Rebound of attitudes that the soul cannot carry without creating a personality fracture on the terms of moral in the type of experience. So all of these cases in this view have something to do with an outlook that breaches the natural moral of the inner mental life. When these breaches occur, the soul is suppressed by own negative view and replaced with externally founded personality from single or multiple people. Schizophrenia, I believe, is irreversible. If you go down that road, there's no turning back! I think it can be slowed down to some degree by alcohol or drugs, medicine and thereby be given a better functioning to the social connections, suppressing these tendencies of stupid, bizarre, deviant thoughts. More information on Schizophrenia here. I hope you can make good use of it."

Source: http://whatiswritten777.blogspot.no/201 ... atist.html.

As I think about it, to produce "stupid, bizarre, deviant thoughts" inside one's Religious life is a kind of shame for Religious people therefore it only seldom happens if ever!

We are that strong.

Check out DSM-5 and ICD-10:
http://www.dsm5.org/Documents/Schizophr ... 0Sheet.pdf - can't get no better than this.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DSM-5#Schi ... _disorders
http://apps.who.int/classifications/icd ... 10/en#/F20 - don't worry about the apps-thing, it won't bite.

:)
I'm cool! :) - Stronger Religion every day! Also by "mathematical Religion", the eternal forms, God closing the door on corrupt humanity, possibly!

Volbrigade
Banned
Banned

Re: Thanks for discussion - Psychiatry may prove us right

Post #4

Post by Volbrigade »

[Replying to post 3 by Aetixintro]

Did the voices in your head tell you to write the above? :whistle:

8-)