Where Christians can get together and discuss

Moderator: Moderators

Elijah John
Savant

Denomination Recomendations

Post #1

Post by Elijah John »

Hey gang...

I'm looking for a church that features long, informative Bible based sermons and old fashioned hymns...

Not necessarily to join, but to learn, to visit.

Any suggestions as to which denominations feature these?

Not looking for liturgical Churches...nor am I looking for modern "mega-churches"...just an old-fashioned type Protestant church..
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

bjs
Prodigy

Re: Denomination Recomendations

Post #11

Post by bjs »

[Replying to post 1 by Elijah John]

I’m coming to this way late, but if you are still looking I will say this:

Osteng is right that there can be a lot of variation within a denomination. It also depends where you live. If you live in New England (I’m guessing here), Baptists would be a good fit except that they stick pretty strictly to belief in the Trinity.

The United Church of Christ tends to be light on theology and I don’t know if that will bother you. It does mean you can probably fit in if you beliefs don’t line up fully with traditional Christianity. Many ages ago I was a part-time youth pastor at the Trinitarian Congregational Church in North Andover, MA. It is a UCC. If you live in that area you should stop by.

If not hearing about the divinity of Christ is important the Unitarian Church is the way to go, but they can vary widely from congregation to congregation.

Congregational church might be your best bet, but again they vary widely from one church to another, so you may have to check out a few.
Understand that you might believe. Believe that you might understand. –Augustine of Hippo

Elijah John
Savant

Post #12

Post by Elijah John »

Thank you all for your recommendations.

Just a few thoughts here.

In spite of our "no holds barred" debating on the boards, the disagreements we have are usually theological in nature, not values related.

-I am socially conservative, so a UU congregation would be out as would other left-wing Protestant congregations that get political.

-I was raised Roman Catholic, so I am culturally more comfortable with Christianity, the holidays etc, than say, Judaism or Islam even though I am not a Trinitarian at heart.

- I consider Jesus the most important prophet, so I cannot be a Jew.

- To be able to pray to the Father, YHVH, by name is far too important to me to abandon, and most Jews forbid the pronunciation of the Divine name.

I am leaning towards an Evangelical congregation, (believe it or not) for the following reasons:

-Evangelicals tend to honor the name of the Father, Yahweh or Jehovah, more often than other Christians. I have heard Joseph Prince, for example, preaching on the Name several times in the last month or so.

-Evangelicals tend to preach from the Old Testament, Hebrew Bible more so than Roman Catholics or mainline Protestants. I like that.

-Evangelicals don't embrace Marian devotion and reject images in their churches, I like that too, as it seems more in keeping with the first and third commandment.

-I get the impression that most Evangelicals take their faith more seriously, than say the average RC or Protestant, with daily personal devotion to prayer and Bible study.

-

-

-YHVH is LORD

Elijah John
Savant

Post #13

Post by Elijah John »

bjs wrote: [Replying to post 1 by Elijah John]

I’m coming to this way late, but if you are still looking I will say this:

Osteng is right that there can be a lot of variation within a denomination. It also depends where you live. If you live in New England (I’m guessing here), Baptists would be a good fit except that they stick pretty strictly to belief in the Trinity.

The United Church of Christ tends to be light on theology and I don’t know if that will bother you. It does mean you can probably fit in if you beliefs don’t line up fully with traditional Christianity. Many ages ago I was a part-time youth pastor at the Trinitarian Congregational Church in North Andover, MA. It is a UCC. If you live in that area you should stop by.

If not hearing about the divinity of Christ is important the Unitarian Church is the way to go, but they can vary widely from congregation to congregation.

Congregational church might be your best bet, but again they vary widely from one church to another, so you may have to check out a few.
A belated thank you to all. Much appreciated.

BJs those are good recomendations, except in my experience (or from what I know) the UCC and the UUA, (Unitarians) are far too political, far too liberal for my taste.

Yahu, the Plymough Bretheren sound intriguiging, but I don't think they are too common up here in New England.

Right now, I hope to look into some near Evangelical Churches (believe it or not!) maybe check out a nearby Lutheran Church, or attempt to come to terms with the Church of my upbringing, the Roman Catholic church (in spite of my "heresies")

;)

-YHVH is LORD

Yahu
Banned
Banned

Post #14

Post by Yahu »

Elijah John wrote:
Yahu, the Plymough Bretheren sound intriguiging, but I don't think they are too common up here in New England.
;)
LOL, They are rooted in the New England area. They are not common down here in the south, ie Atlanta. John Darby (as in the Darby bible) was Plymouth Brethren. So expect pre-trib and dispensationalism teaching.

BTW, the Darby Bible was the 1st to translate YHVH as Jehovah instead of 'LORD' through out the text.

They should have chapels all over New England.

Elijah John
Savant

Post #15

Post by Elijah John »

Yahu wrote:
Elijah John wrote:
;)
LOL, They are rooted in the New England area. They are not common down here in the south, ie Atlanta. John Darby (as in the Darby bible) was Plymouth Brethren. So expect pre-trib and dispensationalism teaching.

BTW, the Darby Bible was the 1st to translate YHVH as Jehovah instead of 'LORD' through out the text.

Thanks, one would think so, but I cannot recall seeing any. I'll have to look into it.

As for end times emphasis, I can do without that kind of preaching. It all seems so specuative to me, beyond the belief that God and His people win in the end.

The "how" and the "when" seem like unnecessary details, for we all have our own "end times", when our lives here expire!

You mentioned the Darby Bible in the other thread...is that available at actual bookstores?

-YHVH is LORD

Yahu
Banned
Banned

Post #16

Post by Yahu »

Elijah John wrote:
Yahu wrote:
Elijah John wrote:
;)

Thanks, one would think so, but I cannot recall seeing any. I'll have to look into it.

As for end times emphasis, I can do without that kind of preaching. It all seems so specuative to me, beyond the belief that God and His people win in the end.

The "how" and the "when" seem like unnecessary details, for we all have our own "end times", when our lives here expire!

You mentioned the Darby Bible in the other thread...is that available at actual bookstores?
Yes, it is available. I only checked on Barnes & Nobles. Also note that it is 2nd ranked on the most accurate translation aligning with the original syntax. It just translates word for word without doctrinal bias according to the reviews. I haven't found any specific errors in it but only use it as a back up when I want to check another translation of the text to see what Darby translated it as.

My copy of the Darby does not have embedded Strongs Numbers in the bible software I use so I generally use the AV with KJV and Darby as secondary references. Only the AV has the embedded Strongs # that can be toggled on/off.

So it is available as an additional download on the freeware package online bible at onlinebible.net.

As to not seeing them, they don't tend to advertise. The Chapels don't tend to be right up on main roads. The one I attended, you couldn't even see the Chapel from the road it was on. You had to take an entrance access road to find it back in the woods behind a residential area. You will have to do a google search for one in your area if your interested.

BTW, Plymouth Brethren don't use the term church. The Chapel is the building and the group is the Assembly.

Yahu
Banned
Banned

Post #17

Post by Yahu »

Elijah John wrote: As for end times emphasis, I can do without that kind of preaching. It all seems so specuative to me, beyond the belief that God and His people win in the end.
Oh, there is no 'end times emphasis'. I was just stating the doctrinal position of the denomination via one of its founders, ie Darby.

I have a very 'end times emphasis'. My mother is a major authority on end times prophecy with many books out. It has been a topic in my family since I was a child.

She grew up as a Methodist pastor's daughter but didn't even know about salvation until she was grown and married. The family started out in the Plymouth Brethren for many years. My eldest brother even attended their bible college.

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #18

Post by ttruscott »

Elijah John wrote:You mentioned the Darby Bible in the other thread...is that available at actual bookstores?

Online at http://biblehub.com/dbt/genesis/1.htm :)
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #19

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 1 by Elijah John]

Have you considered visiting the kingdom hall of Jehovah's Witnesses?

The weekend public discourse is about 30 minuites with a 45 min bible based discussion from the Watchtower on various topics.

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Elijah John
Savant

Post #20

Post by Elijah John »

JehovahsWitness wrote: [Replying to post 1 by Elijah John]

Have you considered visiting the kingdom hall of Jehovah's Witnesses?

The weekend public discourse is about 30 minuites with a 45 min bible based discussion from the Watchtower on various topics.

JW
I'd have to keep my opinions to myself and remember the place for debate is on our boards here, and not there, or any other Church I may visit!
;)

If visitors, (with no intention of converting) are welcome, I think that would be very interesting.

Are the weekend meetings on Saturdays, or Sundays?

Are they called services?

I have had some very interesting discussions with JWs in my home.

It would be refreshing to hear prayers addressed to Jehovah, by name.

-YHVH is LORD