Sexual immorality in the Congregation

Where Christians can get together and discuss

Moderator: Moderators

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Sexual immorality in the Congregation

Post #1

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Nobody living in a sexual relationship without being married can be one of Jehovah's Witnesses. Partners must be legally married before they can qualify for baptism and those found guilty of committing sexual immorality that do not repent and change their ways are put outside of the congregation until (hopefully) they come to their senses and return.

Do you think unrepentant sexual immorality should be tolerated by Christian leadership? Are the JWs standards to high with this regard?

Opinions welcome,

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: Sexual immorality in the Congregation

Post #2

[Replying to post 1 by JehovahsWitness]

With the "Me Too" movement in Hollywood, I think this is an important issue.

What do you all think?

JW

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

bjs
Prodigy

Post #3

Post by bjs »

This is a difficult question, particularly with the increase of couples who live together in a monogamous relationship, even having children, but postponing marriage. There are some passages in the Bible, such as the sixth chapter of First Corinthians, which suggest that coitus is marriage. That is, when a couple engages in sex then the marital bond has been formed. The couple might not have undergone the legal and ceremonial acts of men, but they are still married in the eyes of God.

At any rate, while the specific issue has not come up, I imagine that the church I attended would not grant the rite of baptism to someone who was sexually active out of wedlock without plans to change that behavior.
Understand that you might believe. Believe that you might understand. –Augustine of Hippo

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #4

[Replying to post 3 by bjs]

If concentual sex equals marriage, does that not render the word "fornication" (as opposed to rape) redundant? Wouldnt it be impossible to have sex outside of marriage when sex *is* marriage?