Moderator: Moderators

JehovahsWitness
Savant

WATCHTOWER: Christian Values

Post #1

Post by JehovahsWitness »

This month's Watchtower magazine made an interesting comment on Values
"VALUES WE NEED TODAY
You may wonder, though, ‘Are Bible teachings really practical for our modern day?’ To answer, ask yourself: ‘What are the worst problems facing mankind today? Which ones are the most terrifying?’ Perhaps you think of warfare, pollution, crime, or corruption. Now consider some principles that the Bible teaches. As you do, ask yourself, ‘If people lived by these values, would the world be a better place?’

LOVE OF PEACE

“Happy are the peacemakers, since they will be called sons of God.� (Matthew 5:9) “If possible, as far as it depends on you, be peaceable with all men.�—Romans 12:18.

Source: https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2018019#h=5"

QUESTION: Do you think that the Jehovah's Witnesses here have correctly interpreted Matthew 5:9?
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

The Tanager
Savant

Re: WATCHTOWER: Christian Values

Post #2

Post by The Tanager »

JehovahsWitness wrote: This month's Watchtower magazine made an interesting comment on Values
"VALUES WE NEED TODAY
You may wonder, though, ‘Are Bible teachings really practical for our modern day?’ To answer, ask yourself: ‘What are the worst problems facing mankind today? Which ones are the most terrifying?’ Perhaps you think of warfare, pollution, crime, or corruption. Now consider some principles that the Bible teaches. As you do, ask yourself, ‘If people lived by these values, would the world be a better place?’

LOVE OF PEACE

“Happy are the peacemakers, since they will be called sons of God.� (Matthew 5:9) “If possible, as far as it depends on you, be peaceable with all men.�—Romans 12:18.

Source: https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2018019#h=5"

QUESTION: Do you think that the Jehovah's Witnesses here have correctly interpreted Matthew 5:9?
The interpretation being that we should love peace? That seems to follow from Matthew 5:9 to me. Love to me is a choice, an action so loving peace to me necessarily includes actually making peace. The question then becomes how to apply that in certain situations. What does making peace look like in each situation?

For instance, what would it look like for us to make peace, being that we believe different things about God and life while still wanting both to honor this part of the Sermon on the Mount? Not that I feel at war with you specifically or anything like that; it's just a general question.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #3

[Replying to post 2 by The Tanager]

Good question, I think the answer is tolerance. Its like what would a Christian do if they were asked to kill another human being by their government only because their government had declared war? How could they honor the sermon on the mount and also kill stab, shoot or kill that person through any other method?

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

The Tanager
Savant

Post #4

Post by The Tanager »

JehovahsWitness wrote:Good question, I think the answer is tolerance. Its like what would a Christian do if they were asked to kill another human being by their government only because their government had declared war? How could they honor the sermon on the mount and also kill stab, shoot or kill that person through any other method?
What do you mean by tolerance, though? People mean different things. I think the answer goes beyond mere tolerance into love and respect. To me, making peace can involve deeply challenging another person's views as wrong, if done in a respectful and loving way. Personally, I would want someone who feels I'm wrong about something they feel very important to life to point out why they think I'm wrong.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #5

The Tanager wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote:Good question, I think the answer is tolerance. Its like what would a Christian do if they were asked to kill another human being by their government only because their government had declared war? How could they honor the sermon on the mount and also kill stab, shoot or kill that person through any other method?
What do you mean by tolerance, though? People mean different things. I think the answer goes beyond mere tolerance into love and respect.

Exactly that is why no Christian will ever join the military, we cannot actively promoting love and respect if we are supporting an organization dedicated to killing others. We must love and respect even our enemies, that is why Christians were willing to be imprisoned and some were even executed rather than kill another human being in Germany or Japan!

JW

The Tanager
Savant

Post #6

Post by The Tanager »

JehovahsWitness wrote:Exactly that is why no Christian will ever join the military, we cannot actively promoting love and respect if we are supporting an organization dedicated to killing others. We must love and respect even our enemies, that is why Christians were willing to be imprisoned and some were even executed rather than kill another human being in Germany or Japan!

JW
Many Christians join the military. Of course they wouldn't see it as joining an organization dedicated to killing, but rather one dedicated to protecting innocent people. I am actually torn between the two positions of pacifism and just war theory when I think on these matters.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #7

[Replying to post 6 by The Tanager]

Did Jesus not say to love our enemies, did he really mean kill the? Is that how you apply Christ's teaching of love no matter what the cost?

The Tanager
Savant

Post #8

Post by The Tanager »

[Replying to post 7 by JehovahsWitness]

This is about a clash of moral values all Christians agree with. We are to seek peace and love our enemies, but we are to take up the cause of the innocent as well. It's more about defense of others than it is self-defense. Some would argue that if we don't, say, fight in war against Hitler, then we are condemning many innocent people to death when we should be protecting them. I honestly don't know where I stand on it. Because of that, I would not join an armed force personally.

Fortunately, having a correct view on this issue is not what gets someone a relationship with God. May Jehovah lead us into truth and compassion with those trying to come under His guidance on such an issue.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #9

[Replying to post 8 by The Tanager]

If only Jesus had said "Kill your enemies" instead of love them. If only Jesus had been a better communicator and been clearer of what he wanted his followers to do when faced with the hatred and violence of their enemies

Anyway you were saying...
The Tanager wrote: I think the answer goes beyond mere tolerance into love and respect.

...Don't you mean "love respect and stabbing them in the heart?" "Love and respect and dropping a bomb on their families"? Love respect AND gassing entire villages?

JW

Jehovah's Witnesses do not fight in or support wars nor do we joint the military as we believe that would violate the command to love our neighbour and even our enemies We have beaten our swords into plowshares and won't resort to violence. to resolve our differences.

The Tanager
Savant

Post #10

Post by The Tanager »

[Replying to post 9 by JehovahsWitness]

But (and this is an honest question where I haven't come to a hard conclusion), are we loving our enemies by allowing them to perform actions that will damage their own souls as well as the lives of others. Saying it is okay to fight other countries is not about personal vengeance to many, but about protecting the innocent. Are we loving our neighbor that is being slaughtered by standing by and watching?

I actually lean towards pacifism, but I don't think it's as easy an issue as you paint it. For instance, I would wonder if there were other ways to stop aggressors than violence. But, at the least, I don't want to scorn those who have come to a different conclusion using the principles I've talked about as a guide.

We can return to the values of the Sermon on the Mount if you want. I was just putting myself in the shoes of Christians who have joined the military since you said no Christian would.