apologetic resources

Where Christians can get together and discuss

Moderator: Moderators

Overcomer
Guru

apologetic resources

Post #1

Post by Overcomer »

I have been talking about the Lord on forums for 25 years and have amassed a huge list of resources. Some are specifically on the topic of apologetics. Some are good sources of information about God, the Bible, theology, history, philosophy, science, etc. I decided to share some of them here with the hope that they can be of use to other Christians in their discussions -- or for their own personal edification.

One of the best apologetic resources on the Internet is Apologetics315. It has links to dozens and dozens of sites, articles, books, people, etc. I like the fact that it is a great place to learn about the atheists making waves out there -- what they're writing, what they're saying -- and not just the Christians making a difference. There is information about other religions as well. It also includes book reviews and interviews.

https://apologetics315.com/

One of the best sources for information about the Bible on the Internet is Bible.org. It offers information by the topic and by the Bible passage.

https://bible.org/

I'll start with those two and add more over time.

What resources do the rest of you use? Why do you use them? What criteria do you use to assess whether a source is worthy and reliable? Are there any sources that you would NOT recommend -- and why not?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: apologetic resources

Post #2

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 1 by Overcomer]

Thanks for the link.

My own reference is and will always be

https:// www.jw.org

And it's sister site

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/lv/r1/lp-e/0
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Overcomer
Guru

Post #3

Post by Overcomer »

This is another good site:

https://probe.org/

If you can't find an answer to a question you have, you can write and ask them. It's a great feature that not all sites offer.

Then there's this one:

https://www.apologeticscanada.com/

I subscribe to their podcast. The topics are relevant and the conversations are always worthwhile, always interesting.

tam
Savant

Post #4

Post by tam »

Peace to you!
What resources do the rest of you use? Why do you use them?

I use https://www.blueletterbible.org/ as a resource for the original language and meaning of words, and the various ways in which those words in their original language could be translated.

I do not use that site (or any other site) for commentary about the meaning of what is written, or as a resource to try and understand what is true or what Christ meant. For that understanding, I come to Christ (and/or wait for Him to explain or reveal something to me, as He decides the time is right).

What criteria do you use to assess whether a source is worthy and reliable? Are there any sources that you would NOT recommend -- and why not?

The only source I CAN recommend is Christ Himself. He is the Truth. He is alive. He is the Word of God, who can and does speak. Why drink from muddied water (made muddy by men) when you can drink pure water straight from the source?

As for claims that some make (websites/religions/commentary/theology/etc), I am to test any such claim or inspired expression according to the criteria that my Lord has given me. I am to test their claims against Him (what He teaches me), and against love (God is love and nothing that comes from God or His Son will be against love) - and against what is written (beginning of course with what Christ said in what is written, since He is the Truth).

"This is my Son, whom I have chosen. Listen to Him."

Peace again to you,
your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy

Overcomer
Guru

Post #5

Post by Overcomer »

tam wrote:
I do not use that site (or any other site) for commentary about the meaning of what is written, or as a resource to try and understand what is true or what Christ meant. For that understanding, I come to Christ (and/or wait for Him to explain or reveal something to me, as He decides the time is right).
I agree that we should all start with the Bible itself. We should read and pray and meditate and wait for the Holy Spirit to reveal God's truth to us.

The danger I see in ONLY using the Bible is this: Sometimes we aren't hearing from the Holy Spirit at all. Sometimes we misread and misunderstand. Sometimes we need confirmation to be sure we're hearing correctly. That's why I am grateful to other born-again, Spirit-filled believers who have been down the same road I am on. I can learn from them. And I believe that's one of the reasons God puts us in communities -- to help each other mature in our understanding of the Lord and of Scripture.

Personally, I have had God use many ways to speak to me -- through music, through sermons, through fellow believers. Often, he will give me the same message three times using three different conduits. He knows I'm rather hesitant, like Moses. I have to be really sure I'm hearing from him and that I know what his will is before I act.

The Bible talks about the truth being established at the hands of two or three witnesses (Deut. 17:6; Matt. 18:16). God gives us the Holy Spirit plus the sermons, commentaries, testimonies, etc. of other Christians to help us gain insight as we apply our own intellect and spiritual understanding to the Word of God.

Additionally, there are resources outside of the Bible that are important -- in fields such as history, philosophy and science, for example -- because we need to know what's going on, looking at them from a Christian perspective, of course. Always, no matter what we read or where we get our information, we have to make sure that it lines up with God's Word. That is the yardstick by which we measure all things.

Peace to you, too, tam!

puddleglum
Sage

Post #6

Post by puddleglum »

This is one of the best sites I have found:

https://carm.org/

Here is another good site I visit often:

https://answersingenesis.org/
His invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made.
Romans 1:20 ESV

tam
Savant

Post #7

Post by tam »

Peace to you overcomer!
Overcomer wrote: tam wrote:
I agree that we should all start with the Bible itself. We should read and pray and meditate and wait for the Holy Spirit to reveal God's truth to us.

I do not mean to be contentious at all, but I must emphasize that I spoke of coming to Christ.

The danger I see in ONLY using the Bible is this:

I do not suggest that one use only the Bible. As you said, how could you know you are understanding something correctly if that book (which does not itself speak) was our only resource?

(And God has revealed His Truth to us: Christ Jaheshua, His Son and Word and Image. We need only to listen to and follow that Son. Years ago, when I was seeking the truth of God, and asking Him to lead me where He wanted me to be, He led me to His Son.)

Sometimes we aren't hearing from the Holy Spirit at all. Sometimes we misread and misunderstand. Sometimes we need confirmation to be sure we're hearing correctly. That's why I am grateful to other born-again, Spirit-filled believers who have been down the same road I am on. I can learn from them. And I believe that's one of the reasons God puts us in communities -- to help each other mature in our understanding of the Lord and of Scripture.
I agree with you that these would be dangers; and I agree with you that we can help one another. Such as how Priscilla and Aquila expounded the truth more accurately to Apollos. Such as iron sharpening iron. But confirmation from other people does not mean that we have heard something correctly. Many religions are built and hold together with confirmation from other people (even millions of other people), but without confirmation from Christ. Sometimes even in direct contradiction with Christ.

The Bible talks about the truth being established at the hands of two or three witnesses (Deut. 17:6; Matt. 18:16). God gives us the Holy Spirit plus the sermons, commentaries, testimonies, etc. of other Christians to help us gain insight as we apply our own intellect and spiritual understanding to the Word of God.

Perhaps I am reading you wrong, but the above is a misapplication of those verses. Those verses speak of witnesses to wrongdoing, so that the matter of wrongdoing is established at the hands of two or three witnesses.

Truth is not established at the hands of two or three witnesses. Two or three (or thousands or even millions) of people can agree with one another about what is true, and yet be wrong at the same time. We can know this for a fact, because various religions and denominations conflict with one another on various details (some small; some big).

We can know something is true if Christ teaches and/or confirms it.
Additionally, there are resources outside of the Bible that are important -- in fields such as history, philosophy and science, for example -- because we need to know what's going on, looking at them from a Christian perspective, of course. Always, no matter what we read or where we get our information, we have to make sure that it lines up with God's Word. That is the yardstick by which we measure all things.
Yes I agree. Though I suspect that when you say God's Word, you might be referring to the Bible; whereas I am referring to Christ. He is the yardstick by which we must measure all things. He is the test of truth. Obviously, lol... He IS the Truth!

Peace to you, too, tam!

Thank you overcomer for your wish of peace!

Peace again to you and to your dear household,
your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy

Overcomer
Guru

Post #8

Post by Overcomer »

Thank you for your thoughtful response, tam. You wrote:
Perhaps I am reading you wrong, but the above is a misapplication of those verses. Those verses speak of witnesses to wrongdoing, so that the matter of wrongdoing is established at the hands of two or three witnesses.

Truth is not established at the hands of two or three witnesses. Two or three (or thousands or even millions) of people can agree with one another about what is true, and yet be wrong at the same time. We can know this for a fact, because various religions and denominations conflict with one another on various details (some small; some big).
I do understand the judicial nature of the testimony of two witnesses from both the Old and the New Testament passages. However, I believe it goes beyond a court of law. I should have made myself more clear. The witnesses include the Holy Spirit, God's Word and a third witness, be that my own spirit and intellect or another born-again, Spirit-filled believer who is hearing from the Lord.

I fully agree that a group of people can agree on something and be totally wrong. Indeed, there are religions boasting millions of adherents that are entirely wrong. But they aren't hearing from the Holy Spirit and, because they aren't hearing from the Holy Spirit, they aren't following God's Word, written or living. They are not the witnesses I am referring to.

As for Christ being the Living Word, I agree. He embodies the written word we have in the Bible.

God bless you, tam!

Overcomer
Guru

Post #9

Post by Overcomer »

Here's another good apologetics web site called Stand to Reason:

https://www.str.org/

Greg Koukl is behind it. He has been doing apologetics for quite a while.

He also wrote one of my favourite books on apologetics. It's entitled, Tactics: A Game Plan for Discussing Your Christian Convictions. Koukl uses the old Columbo series to outline an effective approach to witnessing. It's a fun read as well as a useful one.