Fellow Christians

Where Christians can get together and discuss

Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

Fellow Christians

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

Is anyone willing to discuss tigger2's challenges with me?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Overcomer
Guru

Post #2

Post by Overcomer »

I just discovered this thread today as I'm still catching up with all that I missed during my month-long hiatus from posting.

Which challenge do you want to begin with, Wootah? I'm assuming the invitation isn't for JWs only.

Wootah
Savant

Post #3

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to post 2 by Overcomer]

Well i feel i solved challenges A and B.

But you did hit the nail on the head when calling the list an argument from silence. I just wanted to see if there were better answers.

And of course there are fundamental flaws for people who think Jesus is not God in how does not God pay for sins against God.

It is strange that tigger2 regards his list as having any weight.

As for other parts of his challenge the general problem we have is that the Bible allows for each of us to ask the question 'who is Jesus?'.

The very nature of God's invsion plan confounds the darkness.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Overcomer
Guru

Post #4

Post by Overcomer »

Oh, okay! You're referring to posts in that particular thread.

I don't understand why tigger2 thinks his arguments are sound either, but I'm not going to waste time arguing with him about them. He can do a study of why arguments from silence are considered invalid for himself if he's interested.

I was trying to think of an example of scholarly research where an argument from silence wasn't totally bogus. The only one that came to mind was the dating of Acts. Scholars say the book was probably written before 70 A.D. because the destruction of the temple occurred in that year and it was too significant an event to ignore. And, given that the book provides so much historical information, it does seem likely that, if the temple had been destroyed before its writing, that information would have been included.

But that's different from saying that a book should say such and such for something to be true. It's much like saying that, because Jesus didn't say that homosexuality is wrong, it must be right. But, according to that theory, since Jesus didn't say pedophilia was wrong, that must make it right, too! That shows just how ludicrous arguments from silence can be.

And no one would ever base one's entire argument for the dating of Acts on an argument from silence. It's just an "add-on" consideration which carries very little weight.

Bottom line: Silence will never replace real evidence.