Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

Eisegesis

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

Hi all,

Can we do two things:

1) please spell it correctly eisegesis and not esegesis.

(Mind you I can never spell Isaiah correctly.)

2_ But let's not call other peoples posts examples of eisegesis.

Let's debate the topic. It is, in my opinion, a cop-out to label each others posts as eisegesis.

Mostly we short change ourselves by denying ourselves the chance to think for ourselves when we label something eisegesis because it allows us to ignore the argument and what the text is saying.

Wootah
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #2

Post by ttruscott »

The flim flam of exegesis is that for anyone to get the meaning of a verse from the verse without any input from their mindset and unfiltered by existing commitments to ideas is on the order of Paul's conversion as a bright light and hearing GOD's voice. Every interpretation of a verse is eisegesis, the fitting of the verse into previously accepted definitions.
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

Overcomer
Guru

Post #3

Post by Overcomer »

I agree, Wootah. Rather than someone simply dismissing a post as an example of eisegesis, that person should point out how someone is misinterpreting a verse or reading something into it that isn't there with a valid argument.

And congratulations on spelling Isaiah right in your OP. For me, it's the word "pharaoh". I always want to write it as "pharoah" even though I keep telling myself that it ends in "oh". :)

Wootah
Savant

Post #4

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to Overcomer]

I think the insult has stopped since asking or it's just coincidence.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."