Where Christians can get together and discuss

Moderator: Moderators

Tart
Banned
Banned

Christian heroes and heroins

Post #1

Post by Tart »

I was reading a text book about the middle ages the other night, and it quoted the following paragraph of a Saint that the Romans looked up to as a heroin:

"Thais, a beautiful girl, was introduced to bodily commerce by her mother, a prostitute in Egypt in the time of Constantine the Great. Paphnutius, a monk, saw her great physical beauty, but he determined to save her soul. With a gold solidus, he went to her; she brought him into a private room, believing she would receive the coin for her services. Instead Paphnutius reproached her for engaging in a sinful practice and called upon her to repent. Thais was moved to tears and pleaded, "Father, tell me what to do." As a consequence of Paphnutius's eloquent advocacy, Thais renounced prostitution, gave all her worldly goods to the needy, and entered a monastery of virgins. Considering her sins too deep to be redeemed by an ordinary monastic life, she shut herself up in a cell, where she repeated one prayer, "Thou who hast created me have pity on me." After three years, in about 340, Paphnutius came to the monastery and coaxed her out of her cell with these words: "God has blotted out your sins." Thais joined her sisters in the monastic community, but, weakened by her prolonged self-imposed exile in a single cell, she lived only two weeks longer. She was recognized as a saint and considered a Christian heroine."

That is kind of inspiring... I ponder why she didnt think she could live a normal monastic life? I wonder if she would have had a hard time getting along with virgin nuns while she was very different from them in her past life? It just didnt work normally for her i guess... And to think her Christian life beyond a cell, so short lived, yet ordained as a Saint and probably living with God now. The story told around the world..

Kind of inspiring.. Do you know of any saints, for Historical Christians you admire?