Keeping the commandments

Where Christians can get together and discuss

Moderator: Moderators

otseng
Savant

Keeping the commandments

Post #1

Post by otseng »

Are you able to keep all the commandments?

The Bible commands us to keep all the commandments.

[Deut 6:1-2 KJV] 1 Now these are the commandments, the statutes, and the judgments, which the LORD your God commanded to teach you, that ye might do them in the land whither ye go to possess it: 2 That thou mightest fear the LORD thy God, to keep all his statutes and his commandments, which I command thee, thou, and thy son, and thy son's son, all the days of thy life; and that thy days may be prolonged.

Jesus said we need to keep the commandments to have life.

[Mat 19:17 KJV] 17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

We commonly view keeping the commandments as impossible and burdensome. In one sense it is, but in another sense, it's not.

In both the Hebrew and Greek, the word keep has a broad range of meaning. In Hebrew, two words are used for keep: 'asah and shamar. In Greek, keep is tēre�. Keep has the meaning of observing and doing, but it also has the idea of treasuring, taking care of, guarding, watching over, protecting.

Adam was told to keep the garden of Eden.

[Gen 2:15 KJV] 15 And the LORD God took the man, and put him into the garden of Eden to dress it and to keep it.

Cain asked God if he was to keep Abel.

[Gen 4:9 KJV] 9 And the LORD said unto Cain, Where [is] Abel thy brother? And he said, I know not: [Am] I my brother's keeper?

Jacob kept his sheep.

[Gen 30:31 KJV] 31 And he said, What shall I give thee? And Jacob said, Thou shalt not give me any thing: if thou wilt do this thing for me, I will again feed [and] keep thy flock:

Jesus kept his disciples.

[Jhn 17:12 KJV] 12 While I was with them in the world, I kept them in thy name: those that thou gavest me I have kept, and none of them is lost, but the son of perdition; that the scripture might be fulfilled.

Jesus prayed for the disciples to be kept from evil.

[Jhn 17:15 KJV] 15 I pray not that thou shouldest take them out of the world, but that thou shouldest keep them from the evil.

Would it be impossible and burdensome to treasure, watch over, and protect God's commandments? I submit it is not impossible and is not burdensome.

We should keep the commandments by observing them and also treasuring them. I think we should first have an attitude of treasuring and taking care of the commandments. And then out of that heart of treasuring, obey the commandments.

[1Jo 5:3 KJV] 3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

[Exo 20:5-6 KJV] 5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God [am] a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth [generation] of them that hate me; 6 And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.

Tart
Banned
Banned

Post #11

Post by Tart »

otseng wrote: I think you're reading too much into what I'm saying. I'm not saying the law saves. I'm not saying the law supercedes Christ. The law leads us to Christ. What I'm saying is that the word "keep" is much more than simply obeying and observing; it is also treasuring and protecting. And it is in this aspect that it is not impossible to keep the law.
Do you keep the law?

otseng
Savant

Post #12

Post by otseng »

Tart wrote: Do you keep the law?
I keep it in the sense I treasure it and protect it. As for obeying it, that's another matter.

Tart
Banned
Banned

Post #13

Post by Tart »

otseng wrote:
Tart wrote: Do you keep the law?
I keep it in the sense I treasure it and protect it. As for obeying it, that's another matter.
Ok you keep the law because you treasure and protect the law, but you dont obey it...

So what good is your treasuring and protecting the law doing for you?

It seems like just a play on words... And the thing is, it seems like law based salvation.... That is why I'm speaking out about it... Now maybe you it can be interpreted in any which way...

Though, why arent we teaching about Jesus instead?

You're a sinner. im a sinner. we are all sinners. and the law is suppose to convict us of our sin.

Tart
Banned
Banned

Post #14

Post by Tart »

Like i wonder when you say "i treasure and protect the law", you are really just judging me for my sins... lol (a hypothetical)...

Maybe it means, to judge people for their sins... Because that is what the law is good for...

otseng
Savant

Post #15

Post by otseng »

I've created a thread to debate this:

Should Christians keep the law?