Moderator: Moderators

tam
Savant

Should Christians Judge?

Post #1

Post by tam »

Peace to you,

I came across the following quote and wanted to respond:
For instance, Jehovah has assigned the elders to act as judges, and he has given them the responsibility of removing unrepentant sinners from the congregation. (1 Cor. 5:11-13)
Quite honestly, I am just going to hold that statement up to the Light (to Christ), the One to whom God said to listen:

Do not judge, or you will be judged. 2For with the same judgment you pronounce, you will be judged; and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you." Matt 7:1

"Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven." Luke 6:37

Not to mention John 8:1-11 ("Let the one who is without sin cast the first stone")

Some use Paul's second letter to the Corinthians (even though it is titled as his first letter) to justify judging. But the instruction to judge others is incorrect. Compare Paul's words also to Christ's words above:

As one who is present with you in this way, I have already passed judgment in the name of our Lord Jesus on the one who has been doing this.

What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside? 13 God will judge those outside.

No need to compare Paul's words only to Christ (though that should be enough, if one is following Christ, because Christ comes first). We can also compare Paul's words to his own later words in Romans:

Therefore let us stop passing judgment on one another. (Romans 14:13)

We are not to judge anyone (lest we be judged ourselves). We are not to cast the first stone (I mean, you can if you are without sin yourself, I suppose, but who is that true of except Christ? And even He did not cast a stone at the woman caught in adultery, he saved her life and forgave her. WE - if we are HIS disciples - are supposed to be following Him, and this is the example that He set for us.)

Remember also that Paul had just spent most of his life as a Pharisee, zealous for the (old covenant) law. He left that very suddenly. Unless you think he is the only person in existence to understand everything all at once, then Paul also had to learn just as the rest of the disciple and apostles had to learn (and like any of us, there would probably have been some baggage from his former time as a Pharisee). But he DID learn. His words in Romans (above) reflect the truth that Christ taught.

All men can make mistakes, including the apostles (Paul rebuked Peter for Peter's hypocrisy at one point). So no judging Paul or anyone else for his mistakes (unless we wish to be judged for our own, and I know I do not want that). We are supposed to be following Christ. He is the One who is the Truth, the One who is without sin (and so, without error), the One who is the Way, and the One to whom God told us to listen.

Peace again to you,
your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy
- Non-religious Christian spirituality

- For Christ (who is the Spirit)

Aetixintro
Site Supporter

Re: Should Christians Judge?

Post #2

Post by Aetixintro »

Dear tam

I think there's a difference on passing judgment on membership of congregation vs. passing the super judgment on morality. Re the "do not throw pearls to swine". Unrepentant sinners may do work of evil that hurts the congregation or burns down the church altogether.

Good? God bless you! :thanks: :)
I'm cool! :) - Stronger Religion every day! Also by "mathematical Religion", the eternal forms, God closing the door on corrupt humanity, possibly!

Shem Yoshi
Sage

Re: Should Christians Judge?

Post #3

Post by Shem Yoshi »

tam wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:22 pm Peace to you,

I came across the following quote and wanted to respond:
For instance, Jehovah has assigned the elders to act as judges, and he has given them the responsibility of removing unrepentant sinners from the congregation. (1 Cor. 5:11-13)
Quite honestly, I am just going to hold that statement up to the Light (to Christ), the One to whom God said to listen:

Do not judge, or you will be judged. 2For with the same judgment you pronounce, you will be judged; and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you." Matt 7:1

"Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven." Luke 6:37

Not to mention John 8:1-11 ("Let the one who is without sin cast the first stone")

Some use Paul's second letter to the Corinthians (even though it is titled as his first letter) to justify judging. But the instruction to judge others is incorrect. Compare Paul's words also to Christ's words above:

As one who is present with you in this way, I have already passed judgment in the name of our Lord Jesus on the one who has been doing this.

What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside? 13 God will judge those outside.

No need to compare Paul's words only to Christ (though that should be enough, if one is following Christ, because Christ comes first). We can also compare Paul's words to his own later words in Romans:

Therefore let us stop passing judgment on one another. (Romans 14:13)

We are not to judge anyone (lest we be judged ourselves). We are not to cast the first stone (I mean, you can if you are without sin yourself, I suppose, but who is that true of except Christ? And even He did not cast a stone at the woman caught in adultery, he saved her life and forgave her. WE - if we are HIS disciples - are supposed to be following Him, and this is the example that He set for us.)

Remember also that Paul had just spent most of his life as a Pharisee, zealous for the (old covenant) law. He left that very suddenly. Unless you think he is the only person in existence to understand everything all at once, then Paul also had to learn just as the rest of the disciple and apostles had to learn (and like any of us, there would probably have been some baggage from his former time as a Pharisee). But he DID learn. His words in Romans (above) reflect the truth that Christ taught.

All men can make mistakes, including the apostles (Paul rebuked Peter for Peter's hypocrisy at one point). So no judging Paul or anyone else for his mistakes (unless we wish to be judged for our own, and I know I do not want that). We are supposed to be following Christ. He is the One who is the Truth, the One who is without sin (and so, without error), the One who is the Way, and the One to whom God told us to listen.

Peace again to you,
your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy

I agree with you Tammy. I personally think passing judgement can really harm relationships and congregations, where God might be graceful. We have all probably been in situations where judgments have hurt people, and this can be especially true from "elders" in churches. Wolves can be anywhere including the pulpit.

I just get confused on the subject sometimes, it has never made sense to me. What is judgement? Say someone has a green sweater on, we see that sweater and make sense of it in our brains. Now say that sweater has "blank the police" on it, or something offensive, we process such things in our brain, we react to situations we are put in.

Though Jesus said "love your enemy", "pray for them that despitefully use you", "bless those that curse you" and "turn the other cheek"

And I certainly believe in that.

But at the same time Jesus said "I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves."... He told us to be watchful. And He himself condemned the hypocrisy on the Pharisees. So is condemned hypocrisy then a good judgement to make? He chased people with a whip and flipped tables. He called Peter 'Satan'. When he talked of separating the sheep from the goats in Matt 25:31-46 he pointed out a lot of behaviors that would be rewarded and punished. And in Mark 16:15 he said that those who dont believe will be condemned.

So I agree with you, we ought not judge, it would be better to pray for someone, or to suffer for someone, then to judge. I truly believe that. But I just dont fully understand what it is, and how Jesus would have understood it.
“Them that die'll be the lucky ones.”