Good and evil

Where Christians can get together and discuss

Moderator: Moderators

otseng
Savant

Good and evil

Post #1

Post by otseng »

We tend to spiritualize what it means to be good and evil and have a hard time defining it. I think good and evil can be simplified into two basic ideas. Good is keeping God's word and evil is obeying oneself. This is illustrated in the story of Adam and Eve in the garden of Eden. God wanted them to have a blessed life and only gave them one negative commandment - to not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. And evil was exposed into the world when Adam and Even decided to not obey God and they obeyed themselves instead.

The greatest commandments we are to follow are to love God and to love others. Good is seeking God first, others second, and ourselves last.

It is interesting what the greatest commandment of Satanism is. You might think it's "worship the devil" or "perform occultic practices daily". Actually it's "Do what thou wilt".

The idea of seeking ourself first goes back to the garden of Eden, but it is manifested in different philosophies.

Hedonism believes the pleasure of self is the highest goal of life. It rejects any external laws or morals (particularly Biblical commands) that prevents self-pleasure.

Libertinism rejects all external restrictions and lives at "liberty" to follow his own course.

Aleister Crowley founded Thelema (or Thelemaism). It is summed up with "Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law." This philosophy is the basis of many modern pagan practices such as Satanism, Wicca, magick, and negopaganism.

We tend to have an elevated view of ourselves and think we are good. And those other evil people are the likes of Putin and Hitler. So, we justify our own actions because we think we are basically good and it's other "evil people" that are truly evil. But, the reality is we are deceived. We are not really that smart or really that good. When we "do what thou wilt", we are more in line with the philosophy of Satanism. We are unable to truly judge what is good and evil apart from a source that is the ultimate source of good - God expressed through his word.

So, it is simple to decide what we are doing is good or evil. Are we obeying God or are we obeying ourselves?

Aetixintro
Site Supporter

Re: Good and evil

Post #2

Post by Aetixintro »

[Replying to otseng in post #1]

I use Cardinal Sins to define evil. Remember that God is in you, God's holy creation so you are in fact part of the story. "God's righteous people shall inherit the Earth, God's creation!" To enjoy Earth and thereby life in all its ethical and moral splendor is part of God's will. Just a note.

"Are we obeying God or are we obeying ourselves?" I say yes, we are obeying God, we who are Abraham's people (well, well, the Grand Ecumenism...). We're on our way to make God's will happen on Earth. "Come Thy will on Earth as in Heaven..." To be religious is the best life, I say regardless, because after you also go to Heaven and live in eternal happiness and bliss.

(To do evil makes one's faith to weaken and if you fall from faith you should know that you're on the path to Hell unless you receive help which can be delivered these days as Best Practice Psychiatry. Theree is also suicide to stop the headless decline into immorality, but that's a another story...)
I'm cool! :) - Stronger Religion every day! Also by "mathematical Religion", the eternal forms, God closing the door on corrupt humanity, possibly!

otseng
Savant

Post #3

Post by otseng »

[Replying to Tcg in post #3]

This subforum is only for Christians...

Tcg
Savant

Post #4

Post by Tcg »

otseng wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:54 pm [Replying to Tcg in post #3]

This subforum is only for Christians...
Ah, yes. I forgot which subforum I was browsing. I'll delete my question.