Really been wondering about this.....

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Really been wondering about this.....

Post #1

Post by Athetotheist »

I've long believed that fundamentalist Christianity has become a kind of crisis cult whose members are convinced that they have to do something to get Jesus to return. If that's the case, what do they think it will take and at what point would they abandon the attempt? The return of Jesus was supposed to be heralded by so many things and for such a long time now (even the generation which saw "the big one"----the rebirth of the nation of Israel----has mostly passed away), how much longer can they hold out? And if it comes to a point at which they have to give up, how can others help them adjust to new ways of thinking about life?

William
Savant

Re: Really been wondering about this.....

Post #2

Post by William »

Athetotheist wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:05 pm I've long believed that fundamentalist Christianity has become a kind of crisis cult whose members are convinced that they have to do something to get Jesus to return. If that's the case, what do they think it will take and at what point would they abandon the attempt? The return of Jesus was supposed to be heralded by so many things and for such a long time now (even the generation which saw "the big one"----the rebirth of the nation of Israel----has mostly passed away), how much longer can they hold out? And if it comes to a point at which they have to give up, how can others help them adjust to new ways of thinking about life?
Anything of the like, coming from the skies in todays knowledgeable world will be seen as extraterrestrial in nature and function - 2.22billion Christians are content enough to go along with the materialist world view - if not in spirit then certainly in practice...I would suppose that they would be happy to worship a savior-species if indeed such a species did make an appearance and force humanity to work together for the good of everyone...

But that is only if such an event did ever actually take place.

Otherwise, it is business as usual re how humanity has always played the game...

Q: What 'new ways of thinking about life' would you suggest might 'help' Christians
adjust?

Perhaps build a brand new world where everyone worked together for the good of one another?

Q: Would you expect Christians to go along with such a thing, even if it were possible materialists would consent to such a world being built?

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Post #3

Post by Athetotheist »

[Replying to William in post #2
Anything of the like, coming from the skies in todays knowledgeable world will be seen as extraterrestrial in nature and function - 2.22billion Christians are content enough to go along with the materialist world view - if not in spirit then certainly in practice...I would suppose that they would be happy to worship a savior-species if indeed such a species did make an appearance and force humanity to work together for the good of everyone...
That's speculation on your part, and fairly wild speculation I would say.
Perhaps build a brand new world where everyone worked together for the good of one another?

Q: Would you expect Christians to go along with such a thing, even if it were possible materialists would consent to such a world being built?
That's what I'm asking.

William
Savant

Post #4

Post by William »

[Replying to Athetotheist in post #3]
That's speculation on your part, and fairly wild speculation I would say.
Untamed speculation?

Q: What else would you speculate would be be coming from the skies except something extraterrestrial?

Q: What 'new ways of thinking about life' would you suggest might 'help' Christians
adjust?

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Post #5

Post by Athetotheist »

[Replying to William in post #4
Q: What else would you speculate would be be coming from the skies except something extraterrestrial?
You're the one doing the speculating here, not me.
adjust?
Look around. There's a world full of ideas.

William
Savant

Post #6

Post by William »

[Replying to Athetotheist in post #5]

I see you don't want to discuss this with me.

Fair enough.

I will leave you to it.

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Post #7

Post by Athetotheist »

William wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:10 pm [Replying to Athetotheist in post #5]

I see you don't want to discuss this with me.

Fair enough.

I will leave you to it.
If you look back at my OP, you'll see that I was asking what others thought. If you're not willing to engage, then by all means leave me to it----but don't pretend that I'm the one ducking out.

Jose Fly
Guru

Post #8

Post by Jose Fly »

Athetotheist wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:05 pm I've long believed that fundamentalist Christianity has become a kind of crisis cult whose members are convinced that they have to do something to get Jesus to return. If that's the case, what do they think it will take and at what point would they abandon the attempt? The return of Jesus was supposed to be heralded by so many things and for such a long time now (even the generation which saw "the big one"----the rebirth of the nation of Israel----has mostly passed away), how much longer can they hold out? And if it comes to a point at which they have to give up, how can others help them adjust to new ways of thinking about life?
From what I've seen, end times believers don't give up; they just die and are replaced by the next generation of believers.
Being apathetic is great....or not. I don't really care.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #9

Post by nobspeople »

So long as they have influence and people listening to them. For many, I think that's what matters most. Otherwise, why continue?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!