Have Trump Supporters Changed Their Minds Yet?

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

Diogenes
Guru

Have Trump Supporters Changed Their Minds Yet?

Post #1

Post by Diogenes »

Watching today's hearing on the investigation of the events of January 6, 2021 and the courageous testimony of Mark Meadows' aid and long time Trump loyalist and conservative, Cassidy Hutchinson, I'm curious to know whether any Trump enthusiasts have, even yet, realized what this man did.

For those who missed it. (Fox 'News' ignored it during the hearing and instead reported on oil production in the Middle East). The question for debate is whether the testimony today about Trump trying to get armed supporters wearing tactical gear to follow him to the Capitol; that he grabbed the steering wheel of his limousine when the Secret Service would not take him to the riot, trying to choke the Service leader, throwing his lunch at a wall in in the White House when he heard his Attorney General announce there was no evidence of widespread fraud when he lost the election; whether any of this, has moved his supporters to understand he committed a seditious conspiracy (among other crimes), is fit for prison and unfit for any public office?

Correction: Later in the day even Fox spoke out.
“I don’t think there has been testimony like this — that is kind of jaw-dropping, in a way — on the inside workings of a White House … since Watergate,” anchor Bret Baier said
https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/p ... g-1375560/

Before You Embark On A Journey Of Revenge, Dig Two Graves

— Confucius

Miles
Savant

Re: Have Trump Supporters Changed Their Minds Yet?

Post #2

Post by Miles »

Diogenes wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:29 pmHave Trump Supporters Changed Their Minds Yet?
Why would they? Changing one's mind requires reasoning, and people can't be reasoned out of something they weren't reasoned into.

Diogenes
Guru

Post #3

Post by Diogenes »

[Replying to Miles in post #2]
I wonder if NOW, with the hearings and the devastating testimony by former and current Trump supporters about at attempted coup and civil war, if at least some now 'get it' that the former President has greatly damaged America and our democratic institutions.

— Confucius

Tcg
Savant

Post #4

Post by Tcg »

Diogenes wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:36 pm [Replying to Miles in post #2]
I wonder if NOW, with the hearings and the devastating testimony by former and current Trump supporters about at attempted coup and civil war, if at least some now 'get it' that the former President has greatly damaged America and our democratic institutions.
There may be a few but based on some interviews of his worshippers I've seen; many will deny the facts by concluding they are all lies. I don't like to be alarmist, but our democracy could unravel over this. Our nation should be in an uproar over the events of January 6, but many simply shrug their shoulders as if it's no big thing.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Diogenes
Guru

Post #5

Post by Diogenes »

Tcg wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:38 pm
There may be a few but based on some interviews of his worshippers I've seen; many will deny the facts by concluding they are all lies. I don't like to be alarmist, but our democracy could unravel over this. Our nation should be in an uproar over the events of January 6, but many simply shrug their shoulders as if it's no big thing.
It is truly sad, how Trumpers swallow lies and are unswayed by evidence... or perhaps do not know how to separate lies from facts. An old high school track mate just sent out a dishonest meme featuring a photo of Morgan Freeman
and something about 'Stupidity' consisting of 'believing Biden's lies.'

Morgan Freeman is a Democrat who is on record voting for Hilary Clinton and no one comes close to Trump for profligate lying, but facts rarely support memes. https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidmarko ... 1324241a89

— Confucius

Miles
Savant

Post #6

Post by Miles »

I don't know if you watched the hearings today (7/12/22) but ordinary citizen and rioter Stephen Ayers testified to doing just that. As described by Amy B. Wang in her article in the Washington Post:

"Stephen Ayers, a rioter who illegally entered the Capitol on Jan.6 testified Tuesday that he genuinely believed the election had been stolen because of everything President Trump said."

Following this Tom Jackman, another Washington Post reporter, wrote:

"Stephen Ayres is a live representative of the political conversion that perhaps four-fifths of the Jan. 6 defendants have undergone, from more than a year of watching their pleas and sentencings. Once arrested, they seem shocked by the public condemnation, they usually lose their jobs, they have hard conversations with their lawyers, and they begin to examine their beliefs. Ayres, who posted video on the afternoon of Jan. 6 blaming antifa for the riots, said he later signed off from social media, “started doing my own research” and realized the election wasn’t stolen. A small percentage of convicted defendants have not recanted."

To which Washington Post reporter Jacqueline Alemany added:

"A hearing full of extraordinary revelations ended with an extraordinary gesture of atonement: Capitol rioter Stephen Ayres, who pleaded guilty last month to charges related to his actions on Jan. 6, approached former and current U.S. Capitol Police and D.C. police officers who defended the Capitol from the mob of which he was a part. At the conclusion of the hearing, Ayres walked up to Capitol Police Officer Harry Dunn, former U.S. Capitol Police Sgt. Aquilino Gonell, former D.C. police officer Michael Fanone and D.C. Police Officer Daniel Hodges to make amends. “I’m really sorry,” Ayres said to Dunn, before embracing the officer."

Diogenes
Guru

Post #7

Post by Diogenes »

Yes, Ayers is a good example of a good person, 'regular American' who got caught up in this Trumpian nonsense. Propaganda takes its toll first on the unsophisticated like Ayers, a decent man who ultimately had the sense to see and admit he had been duped. But millions more still do not get it. Perhaps the very worst of it is how Trump exploited Christian evangelicals, taking advantage of their credulity to pose as one of them.

The words of Jesus of Nazareth come to mind:
“Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing but inwardly are ravenous wolves."
__ Matthew 7:15

— Confucius

2ndRateMind
Site Supporter

Post #8

Post by 2ndRateMind »

Miles wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:16 am
Diogenes wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:29 pmHave Trump Supporters Changed Their Minds Yet?
Why would they? Changing one's mind requires reasoning, and people can't be reasoned out of something they weren't reasoned into.

Agreed. Trump's supporters all seem to prefer the comradeship and the emotive power of the mob. A compulsory course in critical thinking would sort that out, but no politician would actually prefer that. None of them really want an electorate that can think for themselves. It would make their jobs that much harder.

Best wishes, 2RM.
Non omnes qui errant pereunt
Not all who wander are lost

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Post #9

Post by AgnosticBoy »

Diogenes wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:29 pm Watching today's hearing on the investigation of the events of January 6, 2021 and the courageous testimony of Mark Meadows' aid and long time Trump loyalist and conservative, Cassidy Hutchinson, I'm curious to know whether any Trump enthusiasts have, even yet, realized what this man did.

For those who missed it. (Fox 'News' ignored it during the hearing and instead reported on oil production in the Middle East). The question for debate is whether the testimony today about Trump trying to get armed supporters wearing tactical gear to follow him to the Capitol; that he grabbed the steering wheel of his limousine when the Secret Service would not take him to the riot, trying to choke the Service leader, throwing his lunch at a wall in in the White House when he heard his Attorney General announce there was no evidence of widespread fraud when he lost the election; whether any of this, has moved his supporters to understand he committed a seditious conspiracy (among other crimes), is fit for prison and unfit for any public office?

Correction: Later in the day even Fox spoke out.
“I don’t think there has been testimony like this — that is kind of jaw-dropping, in a way — on the inside workings of a White House … since Watergate,” anchor Bret Baier said
https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/p ... g-1375560/
I wasn't a Trump supporter per se, but I was a supporter of some of his policies.

The only problem I see here is in determining what is considered good or compelling evidence. I wouldn't be surprised if this splits along party lines where Democrats don't require as much evidence to be convinced compared to Republicans. The reason for that is obvious.

As a non-partisan, the concern I have about the information you presented is that some of Cassidy Hutchinson's information was second hand. She did not witness the events herself. If anything, I'd also want more than just hearsay. I'd want verifiable and/or corroborating evidence.
Ms. Hutchinson made clear in her public testimony that she did not have direct knowledge of the incident, and it remains unclear what, if anything, the committee did to corroborate it.
Source: New York Times

There are some other issues pointed out in the same article under the section titled, Is her testimony credible?.

I'd rather this issue take place in a real court of law.
- Proud forum owner ∣ The Agnostic Forum

- As a non-partisan, I like to be on the side of truth. - AB

The Barbarian
Sage

Post #10

Post by The Barbarian »

I notice that Trump's approval rate continues to fall. And now we see that Ron DeSantis is extending his lead over Trump in the polls. DeSantis has to walk a tightrope, not distancing himself from Trump, while doing everything he can to undermine him. He has to harvest Trump's hard-core supporters while still appearing to be a rational alternative to democrats.