Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

TheLibertarian
Under Probation

John Bolton: Israel must attack Iran within the week

Post #1

Post by TheLibertarian »

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20100817/wl ... 0817120240
WASHINGTON (AFP) – Israel has "eight days" to launch a military strike against Iran's Bushehr nuclear facility and stop Tehran from acquiring a functioning atomic plant, a former US envoy to the UN has said.

Iran is to bring online its first nuclear power reactor, built with Russia's help, on August 21, when a shipment of nuclear fuel will be loaded into the plant's core.
At that point, John Bolton warned Monday, it will be too late for Israel to launch a military strike against the facility because any attack would spread radiation and affect Iranian civilians.

"Once that uranium, once those fuel rods are very close to the reactor, certainly once they're in the reactor, attacking it means a release of radiation, no question about it," Bolton told Fox Business Network.

"So if Israel is going to do anything against Bushehr it has to move in the next eight days."

Absent an Israeli strike, Bolton said, "Iran will achieve something that no other opponent of Israel, no other enemy of the United States in the Middle East really has and that is a functioning nuclear reactor."
Far be it from me to remind Herr Bolton that a nuclear reactor is not the same as a nuclear weapon, and that it's just as difficult to convert one into the other as it is to build both from the bottom-up. That might rain on his philosemitic parade.

LiamOS
Site Supporter

Post #2

Post by LiamOS »

With the reactor facility, they'd have the ability to enrich uranium covertly, and building atomic bombs isn't as hard as most people make out.

DeBunkem
Banned
Banned

Post #3

Post by DeBunkem »

AkiThePirate wrote:With the reactor facility, they'd have the ability to enrich uranium covertly, and building atomic bombs isn't as hard as most people make out.
The very fact that no (non-military) terrorist nuclear bombs have been used anywhere argues that in fact it is. Our concern should be to disarm Israel and Pakistan. http://www.democracynow.org/2010/4/14/w ... cessary_or
The IAEA was right about the Iraqis and is right about Iran. We've been through this already.

Wyvern
Under Probation

Post #4

Post by Wyvern »

The very fact that no (non-military) terrorist nuclear bombs have been used anywhere argues that in fact it is.

Making the bomb itself isn't the hard part, the hard part lies in getting your hands on enough weapons grade fissile material and more importantly once you get it handling it so everyone doesn't die that actually knows how to build said bombs. Another problem with nukes is they are not very concealable, its not like you will ever see a suicide bomber strap a nuke to his chest, although the US has in the past made briefcase sized nukes but that takes a lot more sophistication which a first time nuke builder will not have.
Our concern should be to disarm Israel and Pakistan.
Good luck with that, Israel still does not admit it has nukes and unless you can get India to disarm at the same time there is no chance at all of Pakistan getting rid of its nukes.

LiamOS
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by LiamOS »

[color=orange]DeBunkem[/color] wrote:The very fact that no (non-military) terrorist nuclear bombs have been used anywhere argues that in fact it is.
If you feel like giving me ~10kg of U235, some plastic explosive and a few disposable people, I'll gladly prove you wrong.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #6

Post by JoeyKnothead »

AkiThePirate wrote:
[color=orange]DeBunkem[/color] wrote:The very fact that no (non-military) terrorist nuclear bombs have been used anywhere argues that in fact it is.
If you feel like giving me ~10kg of U235, some plastic explosive and a few disposable people, I'll gladly prove you wrong.
Or, to use one word - Dirty Bomb.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

LiamOS
Site Supporter

Post #7

Post by LiamOS »

I'd like to consider myself a little more intelligent than that. Not tooting my horn or anything, but it's not the hardest thing in the world to make.
The general concept for a classical fission bomb isn't too tricky, but I wouldn't be using hydrogen or anything... I'd need some practice, first.

thomasdixon
Apprentice

Re: John Bolton: Israel must attack Iran within the week

Post #8

Post by thomasdixon »

America needs and wants a one-to-one relationship with Iran. To do this we must lift restrictions now. The ball is in our court.

We should also offer to buy the enriched uranium they now have. This will give Iran the needed cash$$$ while giving us the enriched uranium we can use to fuel electric generation plants that is in great need worldwide.

8-)