Mitt Romney: unelectable?

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

nursebenjamin
Sage

Mitt Romney: unelectable?

Post #1

Post by nursebenjamin »

Does Mitt Romney's flavor of Christianity make him unelectable to the office of President?

WinePusher

Re: Mitt Romney: unelectable?

Post #2

Post by WinePusher »

nursebenjamin wrote:Does Mitt Romney's flavor of Christianity make him unelectable to the office of President?
No, it doesn't make him unelectable but it certainly doesn't work towards his favor. If anyone watched the thanksgiving faith-based discussion you would have noticed the two mormons, Huntsman and Romney, were absent. So yea, their mormonism does cause some PR problems here and there but it's not so severe that it would make eithe rof them unelectable.

micatala
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by micatala »

WinePusher wrote:
nursebenjamin wrote:Does Mitt Romney's flavor of Christianity make him unelectable to the office of President?
No, it doesn't make him unelectable but it certainly doesn't work towards his favor. If anyone watched the thanksgiving faith-based discussion you would have noticed the two mormons, Huntsman and Romney, were absent. So yea, their mormonism does cause some PR problems here and there but it's not so severe that it would make eithe rof them unelectable.
I would agree. I know there is an "anybody but Romney" dynamic in the Republican primary process, but I think only some of this is due to the Mormon issue. I also think the Mormon issue will be less of an issue in the general election.

In fact, I think the Mormons are the two best candidates on the Republican side. At this point, I would be more likely to vote for Hunstman than Romney, although at this point, I would vote for Obama over either of them. However, I think any of the three would be at least serviceable as President.
" . . . the line separating good and evil passes, not through states, nor between classes, nor between political parties either, but right through every human heart . . . ." Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by Goat »

micatala wrote:
WinePusher wrote:
I would agree. I know there is an "anybody but Romney" dynamic in the Republican primary process, but I think only some of this is due to the Mormon issue. I also think the Mormon issue will be less of an issue in the general election.

In fact, I think the Mormons are the two best candidates on the Republican side. At this point, I would be more likely to vote for Hunstman than Romney, although at this point, I would vote for Obama over either of them. However, I think any of the three would be at least serviceable as President.
I don't know if it is just because of the Mormon aspect. I think it has to do with compared with the 'anybody but Romney' faction, he is much more moderate. The tea party has pushed the republican party far to the right , and anybody that does not meet their fanaticism is a 'RINO'.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

RobertUrbanek
Apprentice

Post #5

Post by RobertUrbanek »

You would think conservatives obsessed with American "exceptionalism" would favor a candidate who believes in an all-American prophet like Joseph Smith. We don't need any of them foreign saviors.

dianaiad
Site Supporter

Post #6

Post by dianaiad »

micatala wrote:
WinePusher wrote:

Religion only affects my vote insofar as it prompts what the candidate says about others. For instance, I wouldn't care if Huckabee walked on water and could singlehandedly pay the US debt; his comments about Romney the LAST time out sank him in my view.

On the other hand, if he ran against Obama....shoot, THAT man isn't the worst president we've ever had, but then he's got another year. Buchanan still holds the title of 'worst' in my opinion...but Obama is sinking fast, an about to pass Carter....

JohnPaul
Banned
Banned

Post #7

Post by JohnPaul »

I certainly hope not. He is by far the best man available so far, and the only one of the bunch I would even consider voting for.

But since when does the best man win in politics? It is said that, in a democracy, the people get what they deserve. That thought is too horrible to contemplate.

dianaiad
Site Supporter

Post #8

Post by dianaiad »

JohnPaul wrote:
I certainly hope not. He is by far the best man available so far, and the only one of the bunch I would even consider voting for.

But since when does the best man win in politics? It is said that, in a democracy, the people get what they deserve. That thought is too horrible to contemplate.
I agree with you on the 'best man available so far..' and that's NOT my religion speaking. If I thought about politics with my faith, I'd be whole hog behind Harry Reid. (shudder)

OK...what makes Romney an attractive candidate to me? ALL the Democrats are mad at him, and so are the right wing extremists. As far as I'm concerned, then, that makes him as close to perfect as any politician can get.

Well, that....and the fact that nobody is EVER going to have to worry about his daughter being an intern in his office.

SailingCyclops
Site Supporter

Post #9

Post by SailingCyclops »

Article Six of the United States Constitution states:
The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the Members of the several State Legislatures, and all executive and judicial Officers, both of the United States and of the several States, shall be bound by Oath or Affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States.

So, from a legal perspective, Willard Romney's religion should not be a factor. It clearly is a factor however. Why is it a factor? Well, the best way to answer that question is to ask another question.

Would an atheist be unelectable in the US? If so, why so? You may find that the answers are identical.

Bob

Religion flies you into buildings, Science flies you to the moon.
If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities -- Voltaire
Bless us and save us, said Mrs. O'Davis

SailingCyclops
Site Supporter

Post #10

Post by SailingCyclops »

Mormonism is not a "flavor of Christianity". At least not according to this paper from the Christian Apologetics & Research Ministry titled Is Mormonism Christian

See also:
Is Mormonism Christian?: A Comparison of Mormonism and Historic Christianity -- Institute for Religious Research.

Bob

Religion flies you into buildings, Science flies you to the moon.
If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities -- Voltaire
Bless us and save us, said Mrs. O'Davis