Why are so many evangelicals conservative politically?

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

My religion and my politics

I'm an evangelical protestant and conservative politically
15%
I'm a Christian, but not a fundamentalist or evangelical and I'm conservative politically
10%
I'm an evangelical protestant but hate the Tea Party
No votes
I'm an evangelical but liberal politically
5%
I'm a Christian, but liberal politically
10%
I'm not a Christian and I hate the Tea Party
60%

Total votes: 20

Danmark
Site Supporter

Why are so many evangelicals conservative politically?

Post #1

Post by Danmark »

"White evangelical Protestants are roughly five times more likely to agree with the Tea Party movement than to disagree with it...."
http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2011/02/2 ... filiation/
http://www.pewforum.org/2011/02/23/tea- ... -religion/

Why?
Why should a religion based on the teachings of Jesus Christ be so conservative politically and economically? Why should the 'soldiers of Christ' be so pro big business and be lackey's for the 1% of Americans that own 40 or 50% of the Country's wealth? Why are they so hostile to social programs designed to help the poor and provide basic health coverage?

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #251

Post by Danmark »

East of Eden wrote:
Danmark wrote:
bluethread wrote: So, are you saying that members of Al Qaeda would most likely be democrats because more muslims are democrats? This whole line of reasoning sounds pretty bigoted to me....
Ahh, the 'B' word. I note your outrage at the suggestion a racist group like the KKK would be more likely to vote for the party that has only 2% African American membership, but you registered no outrage whatsoever when WinePusher claimed that black culture does not support the values of hard work and respect.

An entire culture, he identified by color, and claims they have no values for hard work and respect; judging an entire group by the lyrics and culture of a particular music genre he does not care for.

In post 203 Winepusher actually wrote:
We do not see Asians dropping out of school, we do not see many Asians wallowing in poverty. And that's because the Asian culture promotes values such as hard work and respect, something the Black culture does not. All you have to do is listen to Rap/Hip Hop (a music market dominated by Black 'artists') to understand what I'm talking about.

Yet, I've heard no one condemn this statement. I expected WinePusher to qualify his error and remind us of all the hard working members of black culture, the beauty of Jazz and classical and gospel music and other genres where African Americans have made unique contributions, not to mention their contributions in other fields from neuroscience, and chemistry, industry, the military and dozens of other fields; all through their culture that promotes hard work and respect.

But nothing. From anyone.

I suppose he feels he has insulated himself by his preamble:

'Black people are not inherently lazy...'

He goes on to say: What I am saying is that the black culture promotes harmful ideas and practices, and goes on to cite Bill O'Reilly of all people as his authority for this contemptible point of view.
I guess he's not drinking the PC koolaid either, is he?
Frankly, I'm ashamed of you all and surprised at your silence.
Danmark, do you see any differences between black and Asian culture? For one thing, I don't see too many Asian teens doing this, it just happened yesterday:

http://www.kxly.com/news/spokane-news/e ... index.html

But they did that because of slavery, right Danmark?

I'm sure Obama and Holder will soon be holding press conferences to denounce this racist hate crime.

/Sarcasm off

Hypocrites
Why this incessant barrage of racial issues from you and WP? Do you speak of "White culture?" No. Just "Black culture" and "Asian culture," as if there is some monolithic black or Asian culture? Why do you insist on defining culture by race?

Why did you introduce race and 'black culture' into a subtopic about why Christians tend to be Republicans?

East of Eden
Under Suspension

Post #252

Post by East of Eden »

Danmark wrote:
East of Eden wrote:
Danmark wrote:
bluethread wrote: So, are you saying that members of Al Qaeda would most likely be democrats because more muslims are democrats? This whole line of reasoning sounds pretty bigoted to me....
Ahh, the 'B' word. I note your outrage at the suggestion a racist group like the KKK would be more likely to vote for the party that has only 2% African American membership, but you registered no outrage whatsoever when WinePusher claimed that black culture does not support the values of hard work and respect.

An entire culture, he identified by color, and claims they have no values for hard work and respect; judging an entire group by the lyrics and culture of a particular music genre he does not care for.

We do not see Asians dropping out of school, we do not see many Asians wallowing in poverty. And that's because the Asian culture promotes values such as hard work and respect, something the Black culture does not. All you have to do is listen to Rap/Hip Hop (a music market dominated by Black 'artists') to understand what I'm talking about.

Yet, I've heard no one condemn this statement. I expected WinePusher to qualify his error and remind us of all the hard working members of black culture, the beauty of Jazz and classical and gospel music and other genres where African Americans have made unique contributions, not to mention their contributions in other fields from neuroscience, and chemistry, industry, the military and dozens of other fields; all through their culture that promotes hard work and respect.

He goes on to say: What I am saying is that the black culture promotes harmful ideas and practices, and goes on to cite Bill O'Reilly of all people as his authority for this contemptible point of view.
Danmark, do you see any differences between black and Asian culture? For one thing, I don't see too many Asian teens doing this, it just happened yesterday:

I'm sure Obama and Holder will soon be holding press conferences to denounce this racist hate crime.

/Sarcasm off

Hypocrites
Why this incessant barrage of racial issues from you and WP? Do you speak of "White culture?" No. Just "Black culture" and "Asian culture," as if there is some monolithic black or Asian culture? Why do you insist on defining culture by race?

Why did you introduce race and 'black culture' into a subtopic about why Christians tend to be Republicans?
I don't know, why is 'White' the first word of your OP? You were the one who introduced race.
"We are fooling ourselves if we imagine that we can ever make the authentic Gospel popular......it is too simple in an age of rationalism; too narrow in an age of pluralism; too humiliating in an age of self-confidence; too demanding in an age of permissiveness; and too unpatriotic in an age of blind nationalism." Rev. John R.W. Stott, CBE

10CC
Banned
Banned

Post #253

Post by 10CC »

East of Eden wrote:
Danmark wrote:
East of Eden wrote:
Danmark wrote:

/Sarcasm off

Hypocrites

I don't know, why is 'White' the first word of your OP? You were the one who introduced race.
From someone who knows.
white is the combination of all colours.
I'll tell you everything I've learned...................
and LOVE is all he said

-The Boy With The Moon and Star On His Head-Cat Stevens.

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #254

Post by Danmark »

East of Eden wrote:
Danmark wrote:
East of Eden wrote:
Danmark wrote:

/Sarcasm off

Hypocrites

That is misleading at best. As you know full well, and it would have been improper to doctor the quote or otherwise falsify the statistics.

The quote was from a CNN writer and had nothing to do with race, but simply a demographic that applied to the Tea Party:

The Tea Party hardly claims to be a religious movement - it mostly advocates for smaller government and lower taxes - but feelings about the movement correlate to affiliation with certain religious groups, according to new survey data from the Pew Research Center’s Forum on Religion & Public Life.

White evangelical Protestants are roughly five times more likely to agree with the Tea Party movement than to disagree with it, Pew found. American Jews, meanwhile, are nearly three times as likely to disagree with the movement than agree with it.

Tea Party supporters are "much more likely than registered voters as a whole to say that their religion is the most important factor in determining their opinions on ... social issues" like abortion and same-sex marriage, according to the Pew analysis.

"They draw disproportionate support from the ranks of white evangelical Protestants," the analysis said of the Tea Party.

I repeat, why do you continue to trumpet the statistic about blacks being disproportionately represented in the criminal justice system?

You earlier made the statement about Chicago and the most of the people from the high crime area were Democrats and black? What was your point? That being a democrat causes crime? That being black causes crime? When anyone continues to trot out the high rate of crime among blacks in America, without more, without any qualifiers, I ask 'why?'

East of Eden
Under Suspension

Post #255

Post by East of Eden »

Danmark wrote:
East of Eden wrote:
Danmark wrote:
East of Eden wrote:
Danmark wrote:

/Sarcasm off

Hypocrites

That is misleading at best. As you know full well, and it would have been improper to doctor the quote or otherwise falsify the statistics.
What is misleading is accusing me of introducing race while leading your OP with race. If discussing race is so offensive to you you shouldn't have done so.
The quote was from a CNN writer and had nothing to do with race, but simply a demographic that applied to the Tea Party:

The Tea Party hardly claims to be a religious movement - it mostly advocates for smaller government and lower taxes - but feelings about the movement correlate to affiliation with certain religious groups, according to new survey data from the Pew Research Center’s Forum on Religion & Public Life.

White evangelical Protestants are roughly five times more likely to agree with the Tea Party movement than to disagree with it, Pew found. American Jews, meanwhile, are nearly three times as likely to disagree with the movement than agree with it.

Tea Party supporters are "much more likely than registered voters as a whole to say that their religion is the most important factor in determining their opinions on ... social issues" like abortion and same-sex marriage, according to the Pew analysis.

"They draw disproportionate support from the ranks of white evangelical Protestants," the analysis said of the Tea Party.

I repeat, why do you continue to trumpet the statistic about blacks being disproportionately represented in the criminal justice system?

You earlier made the statement about Chicago and the most of the people from the high crime area were Democrats and black? What was your point? That being a democrat causes crime? That being black causes crime? When anyone continues to trot out the high rate of crime among blacks in America, without more, without any qualifiers, I ask 'why?'
How many times do I have to answer that? My point is, contrary to your contention liberals are smarter, is that many inner city residents that make up the Democratic Party base are much less intelligent than average.

BTW, here is an item from a poll that showed more Americans were sympathetic to Tea Party views than Obama's views:

http://www.gaypatriot.net/2010/04/05/te ... ent-obama/
"We are fooling ourselves if we imagine that we can ever make the authentic Gospel popular......it is too simple in an age of rationalism; too narrow in an age of pluralism; too humiliating in an age of self-confidence; too demanding in an age of permissiveness; and too unpatriotic in an age of blind nationalism." Rev. John R.W. Stott, CBE

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #256

Post by Danmark »

East of Eden wrote:
How many times do I have to answer that? My point is, contrary to your contention liberals are smarter, is that many inner city residents that make up the Democratic Party base are much less intelligent than average.
"Inner city residents" being code for "African American", right?
As you know full well, The South Side of Chicago, which you brought up is over 93% African American. And now you come up with many inner city residents . . . are much less intelligent than average

It's a fairly vaguely stated 'statistic' and you provide no citation for its validity, but we get your point.
The fact is that many residents of all communities may be 'much less intelligent than average.' But you are targeting a community that is 93% black with your 'much less intelligent than average' comment, camouflaged with your, 'O! and by the way they're Democrats.'

East of Eden
Under Suspension

Post #257

Post by East of Eden »

Danmark wrote:
East of Eden wrote:
As you know full well, The South Side of Chicago, which you brought up is over 93% African American. And now you come up with many inner city residents . . . are much less intelligent than average

It's a fairly vaguely stated 'statistic' and you provide no citation for its validity, but we get your point.
The fact is that many residents of all communities may be 'much less intelligent than average.' But you are targeting a community that is 93% black with your 'much less intelligent than average' comment, camouflaged with your, 'O! and by the way they're Democrats.'
Democrats is my point, you brought up (or introduced) race. You could probably make the same point of some rural white areas, but then you're the one saying who is smarter than who, not me.

Is it not fair to assume Democrats living in a slum are less intelligent than average?

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #258

Post by Danmark »

East of Eden wrote:
Danmark wrote:
East of Eden wrote:

Democrats is my point, you brought up (or introduced) race. You could probably make the same point of some rural white areas, but then you're the one saying who is smarter than who, not me.

Is it not fair to assume Democrats living in a slum are less intelligent than average?
I don't know. I've never researched it. Do you suppose your statement would apply equally to Republicans living in slums? Or are there any?
O:)
I simply cited studies that show a correlation between intelligence and politics. I don't recall announcing my personal opinion. I'll leave that to your friend:

"I can guarantee you that I'm more intelligent and educated than you."
_ WinePusher

I think it is very important not to make more of these studies than what they actually claim. :) I believe I've read, it may have been in The Bell Curve, that below average intelligence correlates with poverty. If liberals really are smarter than conservatives, and all those impoverished slum dwelling Democrats ARE 'much less intelligent than average,' then non slum dwelling Democrats must be WAY smarter than Republicans to make up the difference. ;)

Hodson and Busseri (2012) found in a correlational study that lower intelligence in childhood is predictive of greater racism in adulthood, with this effect being mediated (partially explained) through conservative ideology. They also found poor abstract reasoning skills were related to homophobic attitudes which was mediated through authoritarianism and low levels of intergroup contact.
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/mil ... nd-in-hand

As the article points out, these studies do not mean "necessarily that all liberals are geniuses and all conservatives are ignorant."

What this study and those before it suggest is not necessarily that all liberals are geniuses and all conservatives are ignorant. Rather, it makes conclusions based off of averages of groups. The idea is that for those who lack a cognitive ability to grasp complexities of our world, strict-right wing ideologies may be more appealing. Dr. Brian Nosek explained it for the Huffington Post as follows, “ideologies get rid of the messiness and impose a simple solution. So, it may not be surprising that people with less cognitive capacity will be attracted to simplifying ideologies.� For an excellent continuation of this discussion and past studies, please see this article from LiveScience.[/i]

WinePusher

Post #259

Post by WinePusher »

Danmark wrote:No one has used the word 'racism' until you just now.
Right, because you never had the courage to actually say what you meant. Rather than flat out say that what I wrote was racist (which would be the manly thing to do) you had to tacitly imply it through your carefully worded sentences.
Danmark wrote:But the comment where you condemned all of black culture is clearly racist.
And why I should care about your biased opinion? You're a liberal aren't you? You see the entire world in terms of race. I mean, just look at the very first word of your poorly constructed topic. WHITE. :lol:
Danmark wrote:It is racist because instead of saying, as Lemon did, that there are aspects of black culture that are harmful, you claimed that "black culture" has no work ethic and no value of respect.
Yes, I'm glad you're finally understanding what I'm saying. Black culture, not black individuals, does not value things such as hard work and respect.
Danmark wrote:To help you understand why your statement is racist, consider if an African American said 'white culture does not support the values of hard work and respect." Would you consider that a racist statement?
No. But if a black person said that all white people are lazy and disrespectful then that would probably be racist.
Danmark wrote:I asked East of Eden, and I'll ask you, 'Why do you harp on these statistics?' What IS your point? And what does it have to do with this subtopic? Why do you bring up race so frequently? Why do you dismiss the good aspects of 'black culture'? Why do you deny that black culture does value hard work and respect for others?

Why do you focus on only the worst [in your opinion] aspect of an entire race's 'culture'?
I don't know why it's being brought up in this thread. But the reason why it's being brought up in the media and the public dialogue is because you constantly have black leaders like Sharpton and Jackson who blame the problems of the black community on the society around them. And what I am saying is that it is not societies fault that the black community is suffering. Black failure is not caused by society, or institutions or white people. It's caused by internal problems being faced in the black community. And yes, let me amend my statement. There is a small minority within the black community who do try to promote good values. Don Lemon, Thomas Sowell, Larry Elder, Walter Williams. To bad no one is listening to them.
Danmark wrote:I simply cited studies that show a correlation between intelligence and politics. I don't recall announcing my personal opinion. I'll leave that to your friend:

"I can guarantee you that I'm more intelligent and educated than you."
_ WinePusher
Haha I'm glad you stalk my posts but I can gurantee you that my quote does not apply to you.

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #260

Post by Danmark »

WinePusher wrote:
Danmark wrote:No one has used the word 'racism' until you just now.
Right, because you never had the courage to actually say what you meant. Rather than flat out say that what I wrote was racist (which would be the manly thing to do) you had to tacitly imply it through your carefully worded sentences.
Danmark wrote:But the comment where you condemned all of black culture is clearly racist.
And why I should care about your biased opinion? You're a liberal aren't you? You see the entire world in terms of race. I mean, just look at the very first word of your poorly constructed topic. WHITE. :lol:
Danmark wrote:It is racist because instead of saying, as Lemon did, that there are aspects of black culture that are harmful, you claimed that "black culture" has no work ethic and no value of respect.
Yes, I'm glad you're finally understanding what I'm saying. Black culture, not black individuals, does not value things such as hard work and respect.
Now you have to add, 'cowardly,' challenge my 'manliness' and 'courage?'
And claim the subtopic was 'poorly constructed.'

Since you are largely simply throwing insults, I take it you still do not understand why yours was a 'racist' comment. Let me help:

The problem you are apparently oblivious to is that you condemned an entire culture because their are elements of it that do not meet your approval. I find much in American culture contemptible, I just don't see it in racial terms like you do. You insist on judging an entire people by what you and I probably agree, is the worst element of that culture. It's like judging 'white culture' by the worst of its stereotypes. I don't choose to engage in labeling those stereotypes, but surely there are aspects of white America that offend you. There certainly are aspects of white American culture that do not promote hard work and respect for others; that are entirely materialistic and judge each other by their possessions, their drug use, their criminal acts, their pride in lack of education, their put downs of intellectuals.

And no, I am not a 'liberal' and do not see most things through a racial filter.
But when you condemn an entire culture, which you denominate as 'black,' I make the analysis you see before you.