Can democracy and human rights flourish in a Muslim society?

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

t
Student

Post #1

Post by t »

Corvus
Guru

Post #2

Post by Corvus »

Yes, of course. Turkey is a reasonable example of the kind. It would be nice if they didn't slaughter Kurds, but, well, nobody is perfect. Then we have Malaysia and Indonesia, both of which have large Muslim populations. (87% Sunni Islam for Indonesia, and an official religion of Sunni Islam with over 53% of the population in Malaysia) Malaysia is actually one of the most stable Islamic countries in the world. So there is no question human rights and "democracy" (what you mean is democratic republicanism) can flourish in an Islamic country.

What your question should be is, can peace exist in the middle east. And yes, I believe so, if we removed Israel from the equation and waited until the peoples opressed in certain Arabic nations went into revolt. It's bound to happen sooner or later.
<i>'Beauty is truth, truth beauty,—that is all
Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.'</i>
-John Keats, Ode on a Grecian Urn.

t
Student

Post #3

Post by t »

Most Arab governments are dictatorships whose people know nothing of either democracy or human rights. The few that do allow some measure of democratic freedom and human rights keep a tight rein on Muslim teachers. This at least helps. Freedoms such as freedom of worship. How can you be democratic nation if no one can even worship when and where they want. Is democracy picking and choosing which freedoms they should give their people?

Corvus
Guru

Re: Can democracy and human rights flourish in a Muslim soci

Post #4

Post by Corvus »

t wrote:Most Arab governments are dictatorships whose people know nothing of either democracy or human rights.
Yes, but that's neither a result of being Arab or being Muslim.
The few that do allow some measure of democratic freedom and human rights keep a tight rein on Muslim teachers.
In the case of Malaysia and Indonesia, no, they don't. They keep a tight rein on Islamic extremism just as we're expected to keep a tight rein on Christian extremism.
This at least helps. Freedoms such as freedom of worship. How can you be democratic nation if no one can even worship when and where they want. Is democracy picking and choosing which freedoms they should give their people?
A true democracy is, yes. True democracy is essentially mob rule. We don't live in a true democracy, we live in a democratic republic. Or you do. I live in a constitutional monarchy, which has a representative democracy.

Fascism and dictatorship was prevalent in Europe before it was prevalent in the Orient. During the last century, fascist regimes existed in Italy, Japan, Spain, not to mention the biggy abusers of human rights, Germany and Russia. Almost all of these cases are dictators fashioning a national identity out of violence in order to keep them in power.

Freedoms to worship do exist in Islamic countries, obviously Malaysia and Indonesia, but they also go unharrassed in Egypt and, if I remember correctly, Syria. There are an estimated 10 to 12 million Arab Christians in the middle east.

So yes, again, I think I have proved democracy and human rights can flourish in Arabic and Muslim nations. What's needed is a revolution, perhaps as a result of an increase in living standards and education, which is generally the cause of such movements. The Middle East does not have massive bodies of newly "liberated" burgeos. If it did, then we'll see a lot more benign democratic republics and constitutional monarchies.

Your question implies that Islam or Arabs are to blame for democracy not flourishing. This is not necessarily true.
Last edited by Corvus on Thu Jul 29, 2004 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Angry McFurious
Student

Post #5

Post by Angry McFurious »

no. democracy and islamic law will be in conflict. religion and democracy in places like that will fail.
:dance: ~Jews Rock~ :dance:

perspective
Apprentice

Post #6

Post by perspective »

AngryMcFurious wrote:no. democracy and islamic law will be in conflict. religion and democracy in places like that will fail.
Hey, AngryMcFurious, I know you're new here, so I'm going to try to remind you of the rules in a non-confrontational way the first couple of times.

RULE #5
5. Support your arguments with evidence. Do not make blanket statements that are not supportable by logic.

It will help strengthen your arguments and bring a higher standard of debate to the forum, that's why we require people to support their arguments - because we want to maintain a higher standard here than most other debate boards. If you have any questions about what we mean, please PM one of the mods.

Angry McFurious
Student

Post #7

Ok thanks for calling me out fore something everyone else does too!

Angry McFurious
Student

Post #8

Ok let me break it down b4 the power hungry folks freak out.

1) A female can not rule over a man in islamic like but it will in democracy.
2) The leader of the lands religion is to be followed by all those who live in the leaders ruled teritory.

You happy now? Now like my teacher told me in 3rd grade if you want to know more go look it up :D

Corvus
Guru

Post #9

Post by Corvus »

AngryMcFurious wrote:Ok let me break it down b4 the power hungry folks freak out.

1) A female can not rule over a man in islamic like but it will in democracy.
2) The leader of the lands religion is to be followed by all those who live in the leaders ruled teritory.

You happy now? Now like my teacher told me in 3rd grade if you want to know more go look it up :D
Could we have a source? Since you are the one stating these evidences, we would like to know where they came from.

Also, remember Islamic law is something different to Islamic society. An Islamic society does not necessarily have to have an Islamic law, as America was once predominantly Christian and was a Christian society, their government was secular. Saddam Hussein was also a secular dictator ruling over an Islamic country, though that did not exactly work out.
Last edited by Corvus on Fri Jul 30, 2004 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Angry McFurious
Student

Post #10

Greenvile News: My Source

Theres my source. Jeeze people I'm debating for fun not writing a school paper for yall! ;) Anyways yes This is Islamic LAW not SOCIETY even though it does match there current society beliefs