Why do Christains want to be bigots

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

Donray
Guru

Why do Christains want to be bigots

Post #1

Post by Donray »

Was Jesus a bigot? Is God a bigot? If not, why do Christians want to be bigots and racist?

Look at the KKK, a nice Christian organization that is also racist.

Now we have government employees that are bigots and refuse to give marriage licenses to gays.

I guess Christians think it is OK if a Christian police person does not want to respond to any calls that involve gays or atheists and that is OK with God/Jesus?

So the question is why do Christians think they have the right disseminate for their belief systems.

Also, should anyone for they personal beliefs be able to be a bigot and discriminate?

bluethread
Savant

Post #2

Post by bluethread »

Here we appear to be clearly involved in equating personal philosophy and governmental regulations. If someone takes a job, ie licensing clerk, one should be obligated to perform the duties related to it. Issuing a license in accordance with the laws and statutes of a government agency says nothing about one's personal philosophy. In a democracy or republic one can petition one's government to change the laws and statutes. Also, in a free market one can negotiate one's duties. The obligation to issue the license is not on the individual, but the state. If certain governments choose to provide their employees with what is called "reasonable accommodation", that is up to them. This applies to any governmental function without regard to whether on thinks the employee is "bigoted" or not.

Haven
Guru

Post #3

Post by Haven »

If bigots cannot perform their jobs (including serving LGBT people), then they should quit (or be fired). Simple as that.
♥ Haven (she/her) ♥
♥ Kindness is the greatest adventure ♥

bluethread
Savant

Post #4

Post by bluethread »

Haven wrote: If bigots cannot perform their jobs (including serving LGBT people), then they should quit (or be fired). Simple as that.
What if their employers do not require them to do that, but find other ways of meeting the social obligations of the company?

OpenYourEyes
Sage

Re: Why do Christains want to be bigots

Post #5

Post by OpenYourEyes »

Donray wrote: Was Jesus a bigot? Is God a bigot? If not, why do Christians want to be bigots and racist?

Look at the KKK, a nice Christian organization that is also racist.

Now we have government employees that are bigots and refuse to give marriage licenses to gays.

I guess Christians think it is OK if a Christian police person does not want to respond to any calls that involve gays or atheists and that is OK with God/Jesus?

So the question is why do Christians think they have the right disseminate for their belief systems.

Also, should anyone for they personal beliefs be able to be a bigot and discriminate?
Are you asking rhetorical questions because im a bit offended by the blanket statement or point of your question in the thread title. I just need to know before i respond. Its almost like asking why do Christians want to torture Jews like Hitler did as if all Christians would engage in that.

Just to be clear, are you saying all Christians are bigots or want to be?

SailingCyclops
Site Supporter

Post #6

Post by SailingCyclops »

Donray wrote:Was Jesus a bigot? Is God a bigot?
If not, why do Christians want to be bigots and racist?
Let's see, shall we?

First, what is a bigot? A Bigot "refers to a state of mind where a person is obstinately, irrationally, or unfairly intolerant of ideas, opinions, or beliefs that differ from their own, and intolerant of the people who hold them."

So, the first question is "Is the god represented in the bible a bigot?" I believe that a cursory reading of the bible will confirm that this god is indeed intolerant of ideas, opinions, or beliefs that differ from his own, and intolerant of the people who hold them... to the degree of exterminating them. So, it's clear this god is certainly, by definition, a bigot.

As to the second character in the fable, Jesus, well I suppose it depends on whether or not you believe he is the one and the same bigoted god. Things equal to the same thing are equal to each other.

Finally, are christians willfully bigots? Yes and no. Those who fundamentally follow the god of the bible, follow a bigoted god, so their nature is bigoted. They indeed want, and choose, to be like their god.

Others, who take it all in with a grain of sanity-salt, not so much.

Religion flies you into buildings, Science flies you to the moon.
If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities -- Voltaire
Bless us and save us, said Mrs. O'Davis

SailingCyclops
Site Supporter

Post #7

Post by SailingCyclops »

bluethread wrote:
Haven wrote: If bigots cannot perform their jobs (including serving LGBT people), then they should quit (or be fired). Simple as that.
What if their employers do not require them to do that, but find other ways of meeting the social obligations of the company?
Other ways? Perhaps, as long as we don't see this again:
[center]Image[/center]

Which is the very real danger with allowing this bigotry openly in the public space.

Religion flies you into buildings, Science flies you to the moon.
If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities -- Voltaire
Bless us and save us, said Mrs. O'Davis

OpenYourEyes
Sage

Post #8

Post by OpenYourEyes »

SailingCyclops wrote:
Let's see, shall we?

First, what is a bigot? A Bigot "refers to a state of mind where a person is obstinately, irrationally, or unfairly intolerant of ideas, opinions, or beliefs that differ from their own, and intolerant of the people who hold them."
I believe that Christians can be tolerant to all viewpoints just as long as it doesnt involve having to accept that viewpoint as truth or to put it into practice by applying it to everyone. No one should be forced into any of those scenarios in my last sentence unless we become fascists.

Fascism:
a way of organizing a society in which a government ruled by a dictator controls the lives of the people and in which people are not allowed to disagree with the government
http://i.word.com/idictionary/fascist

SailingCyclops wrote:So, the first question is "Is the god represented in the bible a bigot?" I believe that a cursory reading of the bible will confirm that this god is indeed intolerant of ideas, opinions, or beliefs that differ from his own, and intolerant of the people who hold them... to the degree of exterminating them. So, it's clear this god is certainly, by definition, a bigot.
The definition of bigot involves "irrationality" and "unfairness" and not just a difference in standards. You will have to show ehy or how God's action was unfair instead of just bringing up that Canaanite morality was different from God.

OpenYourEyes
Sage

Post #9

Post by OpenYourEyes »

SailingCyclops wrote:
Let's see, shall we?

I believe that Christians can be tolerant to all viewpoints just as long as it doesnt involve having to accept that viewpoint as truth or to put it into practice by applying it to everyone. No one should be forced into any of those scenarios in my last sentence unless we become fascists.

Fascism:
a way of organizing a society in which a government ruled by a dictator controls the lives of the people and in which people are not allowed to disagree with the government
http://i.word.com/idictionary/fascist

SailingCyclops wrote:So, the first question is "Is the god represented in the bible a bigot?" I believe that a cursory reading of the bible will confirm that this god is indeed intolerant of ideas, opinions, or beliefs that differ from his own, and intolerant of the people who hold them... to the degree of exterminating them. So, it's clear this god is certainly, by definition, a bigot.
The definition of bigot involves "irrationality" and "unfairness" and not just a difference in standards. You will have to show ehy or how God's action was unfair instead of just bringing up that Canaanite morality was different from God.[/quote]

Haven
Guru

Post #10

Post by Haven »

[Replying to post 4 by bluethread]

As SC said, this could lead to a new kind of segregation where "certain" types of people have to go to "special" locations to get services, just like how it was during segregation. No thanks. If someone is a public employee unwilling to serve LGBT people, then they have no business working.

Really, if someone works for the government, they should check their religion at the door when they show up for work. They're an agent of the state, and because of that they should behave in a completely secular manner while acting in that capacity. They can be Christian again when they leave work.
♥ Haven (she/her) ♥
♥ Kindness is the greatest adventure ♥