Should the next president be a woman?

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

2Dbunk
Site Supporter

Post #1

Post by 2Dbunk »

Quote by agnosticatheist in the Househusbands thread, post #13, Science and Religion. (I refer you there for a running brouhaha on the contradiction below:)

I believe that men and women are equal.

With that said...I think that generally, women still are not cut out for the workplace.

2Dbunk said in reply:

Are not those two sentences contradictory?

Former Prime Minister Thatcher and Germany's Angela Merkel are examples of what women are capable of achieving. I find it interesting that the next president of the USA may well be a woman. Carly Fiorina v. Hillary Clinton could well be the opposing candidates.
The question for debate: Is the United States ready to elect a woman as president? To avoid the running war of words in househusbands thread (Science and Religion), try to be objective, un-repetitive and less emotional. Statistics would be nice if available.

bluethread
Savant

Re: Should the next president be a woman?

Post #2

Post by bluethread »

[Replying to post 1 by 2Dbunk]

As far as I know, in the politics and religion forum, statistics are not necessary. All one needs to do is appeal to preferred social policies and the means of enacting them. It appears that Hillary believes that appealing to the fact that she is a woman is sufficient to assure that she be elected president. She also argues that men are incapable of enacting policies that women care about. Yet, all of the policies currently in effect, that she supports, have been enacted by a male majority. So, it appears to me that whether the candidate is male or female is not as important as the policies that the candidate supports.

KenRU
Guru

Post #3

Post by KenRU »

Imo, I think the country is open-minded (moving past its prejudices) enough to elect a woman president.

That said, the best qualified candidate should be president: be it woman, white, black, Hispanic, democrat, republican etc.

But then again, I think the two party system is broke beyond repair, with extremists on both sides of the aisle hijacking the parties and rendering them out of touch today with many people's concerns. But what do I know?

all the best
"Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion." -Steven Weinberg

DanieltheDragon
Savant

Post #4

Post by DanieltheDragon »

[Replying to post 1 by 2Dbunk]

I think Americans are ready. I just don't think the right woman has shown up just yet. There are a ton of capable women both in politics and business. Our options though are Hillary Clinton(about as insider of a politician as you can get) and Carly Fiorina a failed CEO and politician. So I don't see it this election cycle.
Post 1: Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:48 am Otseng has been banned
Otseng has been banned for having multiple accounts and impersonating a moderator.

2Dbunk
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by 2Dbunk »

Untraveled Trail
Student

Post #6

Post by Untraveled Trail »

Hillary Clinton... less testosterone?

Really?

JLB32168

Post #7

Post by JLB32168 »

Being president should be determined by qualifications – not sex. If a woman is more qualified then so be it, but to merely elect a woman because we’ve never had a woman president is not the wisest thing to do if you ask me.

tfvespasianus
Sage

Post #8

Post by tfvespasianus »

DanieltheDragon wrote: [Replying to post 1 by 2Dbunk]

So I don't see it this election cycle.
As the most likely outcome will present us with the ‘choice’ of the nominee of the Democratic Party versus the nominee from the Republican side, why does it seem unlikely to you that HRC will not win the election? The GOP is somewhat in disarray and as of today, the likely GOP nominee wouldn’t fare well against Clinton if polling is anywhere near predictive. Moreover, should the GOP establishment ‘right the ship’ and produce a more ‘electable’ candidate, presently that look like it would be either Rubio or Cruz, who, once again, would not be strong national candidates.

I am not making a value judgement one way or another, but if one were to place bets there would be two fairly easy wagers:

1. HRC will win the Democratic nomination
2. She will win a national election against either Trump or Carson

The first is somewhat of a lock, the second seem to backed by polling. Absent a serious (unexpected) development, it would seem that an HRC victory is more likely than not.

Paprika
Banned
Banned

Post #9

Post by Paprika »

KenRU wrote: But then again, I think the two party system is broke beyond repair, with extremists on both sides of the aisle hijacking the parties and rendering them out of touch today with many people's concerns. But what do I know?
Thankfully there's Trump and Sanders to bring the common people's concerns back into the Overton window.

I have a lot of popcorn stored up for an eventual Trump vs Sanders fight so don't disappoint me, USA.
The response to the refugee crisis has been troubling, exposing... just how impoverished our moral and political discourse actually is. For the difficult tasks of patient deliberation and discriminating political wisdom, a cult of sentimental humanitarianism--Neoliberalism's good cop to its bad cop of foreign military interventionism--substitutes the self-congratulatory ease of kneejerk emotional judgments, assuming that the 'right'...is immediately apparent from some instinctive apprehension of the 'good'. -AR

2Dbunk
Site Supporter

Post #10

Post by 2Dbunk »

[Replying to post 9 by Paprika]

Trump? This echoes back to the third Riech when Adolph was elected (for somewhat similar populist reasons)!