Donald Trump has exposed 'evangelical' voters

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

Danmark
Site Supporter

Donald Trump has exposed 'evangelical' voters

Post #1

Post by Danmark »

I was raised as an evangelical. I WAS an evangelical. It is clear that Trump is not an authentic evangelical; he knows next to nothing about the Bible and has lived and continues to live and promote a lifestyle that is antithetical to evangelical Christianity.
Yet he is doing very well, better than any other Republican candidate, among evangelicals.

My conclusion is that evangelicals care much more about secular politics than about true Christian values. Has Trump support among 'evangelicals' exposed the fact the 'evangelical voting block' is not based on Christian values, but on secular political values?

Danmark
Site Supporter

Re: Donald Trump has exposed 'evangelical' voters

Post #131

Post by Danmark »

Elijah John wrote:
Volbrigade wrote:
Danmark wrote: I was raised as an evangelical. I WAS an evangelical. It is clear that Trump is not an authentic evangelical; he knows next to nothing about the Bible and has lived and continues to live and promote a lifestyle that is antithetical to evangelical Christianity.
Yet he is doing very well, better than any other Republican candidate, among evangelicals.

My conclusion is that evangelicals care much more about secular politics than about true Christian values. Has Trump support among 'evangelicals' exposed the fact the 'evangelical voting block' is not based on Christian values, but on secular political values?
The title of this thread intrigues me.

I have not digested its entire 13 pages. One question:

has "evangelical" been defined? What, precisely, is an "evangelical"?
Danmark may define it differently, but Evangelicals are "born-again", fundamentalist Christians who tend to be literalists.
Close enough for me. :D

The National Association of Evangelicals define themselves:

Conversionism: the belief that lives need to be transformed through a “born-again� experience and a life long process of following Jesus
Activism: the expression and demonstration of the gospel in missionary and social reform efforts
Biblicism: a high regard for and obedience to the Bible as the ultimate authority
Crucicentrism: a stress on the sacrifice of Jesus Christ on the cross as making possible the redemption of humanity
http://nae.net/what-is-an-evangelical/

Volbrigade
Banned
Banned

Post #132

Post by Volbrigade »

Danmark wrote:
Elijah John wrote:
Volbrigade wrote:
Danmark wrote: I was raised as an evangelical. I WAS an evangelical. It is clear that Trump is not an authentic evangelical; he knows next to nothing about the Bible and has lived and continues to live and promote a lifestyle that is antithetical to evangelical Christianity.

The title of this thread intrigues me.

I have not digested its entire 13 pages. One question:

has "evangelical" been defined? What, precisely, is an "evangelical"?
Danmark may define it differently, but Evangelicals are "born-again", fundamentalist Christians who tend to be literalists.
Close enough for me. :D

The National Association of Evangelicals define themselves:

Conversionism: the belief that lives need to be transformed through a “born-again� experience and a life long process of following Jesus
Activism: the expression and demonstration of the gospel in missionary and social reform efforts
Biblicism: a high regard for and obedience to the Bible as the ultimate authority
Crucicentrism: a stress on the sacrifice of Jesus Christ on the cross as making possible the redemption of humanity
http://nae.net/what-is-an-evangelical/
I concur with all the above, both in terms of being descriptive of "evangelical", and in terms of veracity.

Except for the term "literalist". I prefer "precise"; or, I suppose, "precisionist" as a hermeneutical descriptor. "Literalist" is too -- well, 'literal'. "Precisionist" is much more precise. ;)

Your list stops one major -- indeed, crucial -- step short, however, Dan.

The Crucifixion only has meaning and purpose because of the Resurrection. Without that, all we have is a dead Jewish itinerant rabbi.

But because Jesus rose from the dead, and re-entered, as a man, into the hyperdimensional metacosm of which our temporal reality is but a subset, then His resurrection is the most important event in the history of that temporal reality; and the point of all existence.

At any rate -- as I stated in post #130, I cannot for the life of me understand how an informed, believing Christian could in any way support the phony, superficial secularist buffoon that is Donald Trump.

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #133

Post by Danmark »

Volbrigade wrote:

At any rate -- as I stated in post #130, I cannot for the life of me understand how an informed, believing Christian could in any way support the phony, superficial secularist buffoon that is Donald Trump.
:D
I agree. Why is it then that so many of them appear to support him? There are some ideas here:
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articl ... 29864.html
I don't know that I agree with all that is written there, but the ideas presented there are interesting, including, "We found that evangelicals are drawn toward politics by messianic figures. Although Trump may not be Christ-like, the term messianic does have other synonyms such as “liberator� or “defender,� words that Trump supporters might easily use to describe him."

Perhaps one of the explanations is that being an 'Evangelical Christian' includes cultural artifacts that are not necessary to Christian theology.

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #134

Post by Checkpoint »

[Replying to post 133 by Danmark]
Perhaps one of the explanations is that being an 'Evangelical Christian' includes cultural artifacts that are not necessary to Christian theology.

I think there is little doubt that our culture colors how we view both being "in the world" and being "not of the world".

Not only is this so with Evangelicals, but also with other Christians. And it applies in some way to believers in every country.

Monta
Guru

Post #135

Post by Monta »

[Replying to post 134 by Checkpoint]

I do not trust fundamentalism in religion especially Christianity.
I would not even call them Christians as their behavior is far from the
words of Jesus.
I'd rather pick Trump anytime.

Black Sheep
Banned
Banned

Post #136

Post by Black Sheep »

[Replying to Monta]

Ain't that the truth!
words of Jesus.
Not sure I would go that far. I really dislike Christian fundamentalism, but I won't judge their status with God.
Me too. If Hilary and Cruz get in I'll be disappointed. We haven't good choices for president for a while. As much as I dislike them both, I'll either NOT vote or vote for Cruz. I dislike Hilary more than Cruz.

Volbrigade
Banned
Banned

Post #137

Post by Volbrigade »

[Replying to post 135 by Monta]

I do not trust fundamentalism in religion, EXCEPT for Christianity.
words of Jesus.
How can anyone be a Christian, unless they adhere to the fundamentals of the faith?
As a fundamentalist Christian, Trump is the most unattractive candidate in my experience. In fact, I would go so far as to call him "repulsive", as a presidential candidate. If he secures the nomination -- and I earnestly pray that he doesn't -- I will not vote for him in November. Of course, I won't vote for either Hillary, the Bern, or any other Democrat candidate, either.

I am still in hopes that St. Ted will outmaneuver him and the GOP; prevent Trump from obtaining a majority of delegates; and that sanity will be expressed at the Convention by a rejection of Trump for a truly worthy candidate in Cruz.

If not --

the handwriting is on the wall.

Monta
Guru

Post #138

Post by Monta »

[Replying to post 137 by Volbrigade]

"I am still in hopes that St. Ted will outmaneuver him and the GOP; prevent Trump from obtaining a majority of delegates; and that sanity will be expressed at the Convention by a rejection of Trump for a truly worthy candidate in Cruz. "

I read about Cruz being convinced he will win because God told him so
and of course thousands praying for him..
I remember Bush saying that God told him to attack Iraq. Nuff said.

Elijah John
Savant

Post #139

Post by Elijah John »

Volbrigade wrote: [Replying to post 135 by Monta]

words of Jesus.
How can anyone be a Christian, unless they adhere to the fundamentals of the faith?
As a fundamentalist Christian, Trump is the most unattractive candidate in my experience. In fact, I would go so far as to call him "repulsive", as a presidential candidate. If he secures the nomination -- and I earnestly pray that he doesn't -- I will not vote for him in November. Of course, I won't vote for either Hillary, the Bern, or any other Democrat candidate, either.

I am still in hopes that St. Ted will outmaneuver him and the GOP; prevent Trump from obtaining a majority of delegates; and that sanity will be expressed at the Convention by a rejection of Trump for a truly worthy candidate in Cruz.

If not --

I think that is a refreshing attitude, for an Evangelical/Fundamentalist, as many support Donald Trump. Max Lucado, and a few others are exceptions as they are onto Trump and his games.

Just today, on Fox News Sunday, Trump was using his age-old tactic of the filibuster. Trying to cover up his ignorance with bluster and babble, not letting Chris Wallace get a question, or a word-in edgewise. Baffle 'em, with well, you know...

And people actually fall for that! They actually give him credit for being an honest NON-politician, when he is as shallow, ignorant, dishonest, and arrogant as any I have ever seen.

Go figure...

But with you, I will not vote for Hillary either. I am disgusted with this years choices, at least the way it's shaping up.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

Volbrigade
Banned
Banned

Post #140

Post by Volbrigade »

Elijah John wrote:
Volbrigade wrote: [Replying to post 135 by Monta]

words of Jesus.

If not --

I think that is a refreshing attitude, for an Evangelical/Fundamentalist, as many support Donald Trump. Max Lucado, and a few others are exceptions as they are onto Trump and his games.

Just today, on Fox News Sunday, Trump was using his age-old tactic of the filibuster. Trying to cover up his ignorance with bluster and babble, not letting Chris Wallace get a question, or a word-in edgewise. Baffle 'em, with well, you know...

And people actually fall for that! They actually give him credit for being an honest NON-politician, when he is as shallow, ignorant, dishonest, and arrogant as any I have ever seen.

Go figure...

But with you, I will not vote for Hillary either. I am disgusted with this years choices, at least the way it's shaping up.
You might be interested in this, Elijah.

It is, to me, the best thing written so far in regard to this spurious and revolting "Trumpmania" phenomenon -- especially (but by no means exclusively) among so-called "Evangelicals".

If the link opens as "members only", please let me know, and I'll c&p the whole article.

http://www.worldmag.com/2016/04/strange_sympathies