Religious freedom

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

Youkilledkenny
Sage

Religious freedom

Post #1

Post by Youkilledkenny »

A woman who belongs to the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster is allowed to wear a pasta strainer on her head in her driver's license photo due to religious beliefs, the AP reports.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nati ... /75862946/
A Portland man finally has his driver's license after a nine-month appeal for a religious exemption. The man, who goes by Bishop, wanted to wear a fox hat in order to honor his spirit animal.
http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/inde ... to_id.html

At what point does a society (or should a society) stop allowing religious freedom and start using common sense?
Have we reached this point yet? Or does it need to get worse before we stand up and use common sense in many attributes of society.

Monta
Guru

Re: Religious freedom

Post #31

Post by Monta »

Donray wrote:
Monta wrote:
Donray wrote:
Religion is being discarded as more and more people become educated. Religion cannot stand the objective questioning of its ideas.
Does that mean our prisons are full of young people because
they've become educated?
What does that have to do with what I said????? Please explain your logic on this.

A matter of fact, almost all the people in prison are religious and under educated so that goes along with what I said.
According to the above thinking the more education the less religion the less crime the less prisons.

Donray
Guru

Post #32

Post by Donray »

Monta wrote:
Donray wrote:
Monta wrote:
Donray wrote:
Religion is being discarded as more and more people become educated. Religion cannot stand the objective questioning of its ideas.
they've become educated?
What does that have to do with what I said????? Please explain your logic on this.

A matter of fact, almost all the people in prison are religious and under educated so that goes along with what I said.
According to the above thinking the more education the less religion the less crime the less prisons.
So, you think that people in prisons are highly educated? They have master and doctor degree according to you?

You do think according to you that less religious people commit less crime, therefor you are saying that more religious people commit more crime. Do you think about what you are writing?

Your statement is correct, the more educated the less likely to be religious and commit crimes. Again, what percent of criminals do t=you think have a college education?

Monta
Guru

Post #33

Post by Monta »

Donray wrote:
Monta wrote:
Donray wrote:
Monta wrote:
Donray wrote:
they've become educated?

So, you think that people in prisons are highly educated? They have master and doctor degree according to you?

You do think according to you that less religious people commit less crime, therefor you are saying that more religious people commit more crime. Do you think about what you are writing?

Your statement is correct, the more educated the less likely to be religious and commit crimes. Again, what percent of criminals do t=you think have a college education?
I am only repeating what you said.

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #34

Post by Bust Nak »

Donray wrote: Not only do Christians want to be bigots, there violence is at an all time high.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/anti-a ... spartandhp
:warning: Moderator Warning

Do not make inflammatory blanket statements against a group of people.

Please review our Rules.

Moderator warnings count as a strike against users. Additional violations in the future may warrant a final warning. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

Donray
Guru

Post #35

Post by Donray »

Monta wrote:
Donray wrote:
Monta wrote:
Donray wrote:
Monta wrote:
Donray wrote:
they've become educated?

I am only repeating what you said.

So, you cannot logically say how my saying the educated the more non religious turns into your saying the more educated the more criminals.

You need to at least try to explain yourself on how more education means more people in prison. You are lying about what I said. Please identify the post where I said more education means more people in prison. So prove you are not lying.

Monta
Guru

Post #36

Post by Monta »

[Replying to post 35 by Donray]

Donray wrote:

Religion is being discarded as more and more people become educated. Religion cannot stand the objective questioning of its ideas. //

On the basis of this if religion is being more discarded because we are becoming more educated, it stands to reason that we are better citizens. As better citizens our prison rates should fall. From observable data it appears that out prison rate is rising instead of decreasing.
Shouldn't it decrease now that religion has been discarded and we are better educated?

Donray
Guru

Post #37

Post by Donray »

Monta wrote: [Replying to post 35 by Donray]

Donray wrote:

Religion is being discarded as more and more people become educated. Religion cannot stand the objective questioning of its ideas. //

On the basis of this if religion is being more discarded because we are becoming more educated, it stands to reason that we are better citizens. As better citizens our prison rates should fall. From observable data it appears that out prison rate is rising instead of decreasing.
Shouldn't it decrease now that religion has been discarded and we are better educated?
You did lie!! Where did I imply that non religious would be better citizens? I guess it is your opinion that non religious would be better citizens than Christians?

No, the prisons are full of Christians so maybe you are correct in your thought that non religious are better citizens. Why are you putting down your own religion?

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #38

Post by Bust Nak »

Donray wrote: You are lying about what I said... So prove you are not lying.
You did lie!!
Moderator Comment

That is getting way too close to the line. By all means call people out for misrepresenting of your views, but you need to stop short from calling them liars.

Please review the Rules.

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

Strider324
Banned
Banned

Post #39

Post by Strider324 »

I note with dark humor that Ted Cruz has a 'Religious Liberty Advisory Council' that recently released a 15 point platform that seeks to preserve 'religious liberty'. Silly me, I thought it would include religious liberty for all religions. It does not. But this of course is not surprising when his council is made up exclusively of Christians. And less surprising that it grants special privilege to conservative Christian 'values' re: LGBT issues.

http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2016/04/1 ... ation-gma/
"Do Good for Good is Good to do. Spurn Bribe of Heaven and Threat of Hell"
- The Kasidah of Haji abdu al-Yezdi

Donray
Guru

Post #40

Post by Donray »

[Replying to post 39 by Strider324]

This is the reason that Republicans will lose. Don't they realize that the majority of Christians are democrats?