Abortion

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

Texan Christian
Student
Location: A small house on a big ranch, in a small town in the big state of Texas

Abortion

Post #1

Post by Texan Christian »

Do y'all believe it is acceptable for a woman to have an abortion?

IMO:

when a woman says "I should decide what to do with my body" I'm like "well... first of all that baby isn't part of your body, it's someone else's body, so yeah..."

what're yalls views on this topic? post below!

Good day and God Bless :)

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #2

Post by OnceConvinced »

I find it hard to judge on this and it's probably not up to me to judge anyway. I tend to think that every life has a right to live. Who are we to make that decision for them? Even if that child is disabled in some way?

But there are many situations where surely we can feel for the mother. Who wants to be stuck caring for a human being all their life who has some kind of major disability? Who would want to have to be faced with the reminder of a horrible rape each time they look at their child?

As a Christian I probably would have been more resistant to abortion and more cold hearted towards the mother. But as an atheist, I tend to be more accepting of people now and more willing to accept other perspectives on matters like this.

I think it's best that I just don't judge. Let the parents decide for themselves. I would just hope that the abortion is not done out of sheer selfishness and the unwillingness to take responsibility for having had unprotected sex. But even then, there are so many children being born into families with parents who never wanted them. Perhaps they would have been better off not having been born? :-k

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

Divine Insight
Savant

Re: Abortion

Post #3

Post by Divine Insight »

In terms of politics and legislation the question of what's "acceptable" is misguided. It would be a grave mistake to start making laws based on what we deem to be "unacceptable".

Laws should be made to protect the rights of the citizens of the state. A fertilized egg has not yet become a citizen of the state. Therefore the laws should be made to protect the woman's right to choose, since she is a citizen of the state.

As soon as legislators start making laws based on what they deem to be morally acceptable, we could end up living in a Religious Theocracy.

Would you like to live under Islamic Sharia Law? If not, then you should be real careful about supporting that moral ideals should have anything to do with Politics.

A secular democracy is far better than blind theocracy. :D
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

Furrowed Brow
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by Furrowed Brow »

Texan Christian wrote: Do y'all believe it is acceptable for a woman to have an abortion?
Language can be loaded. The word "acceptable" might imply satisfactory or pleasant. But yes it is passable (or maybe bearable is more apt). However, I am increasingly uncomfortable with abortions after 12 weeks and less vexed by earlier abortions.
Texan Christian wrote:when a woman says "I should decide what to do with my body" I'm like "well... first of all that baby isn't part of your body, it's someone else's body, so yeah..."
But I guess that's the point. Where do we draw the line. In the UK it is 24 weeks unless the woman's life is in danger. There are all sorts of ways to look at the problem some more well thought out than others, but when does the law and society get to say what is going on inside a woman's body is not hers? You seem to have a fixed idea, my thought are more fluid and I waver. Perhaps that is the correct response. Sometimes don't know is the right answer.

Texan Christian wrote:what're yalls views on this topic? post below!
I think there is a set of moral questions that do not have a simple right or wrong. The moral question really is complex. At such times the wrong thing to do is to be hasty and draw easy conclusions.

To be true images of late abortions are horrifying. 23 week abortion is obscene and I think it is an awful idea, but would I try and stop a 23 week abortion or vote for it to be made illegal...I don't know...probably not.

koko

Post #5

Post by koko »

I am an abortion survivor while recognizing that abortion was legal under the Anglo Saxon common law. For those who doubt whether that latter statement is correct, see Black's Legal Dictionary & Commentary which is readily available online.

Many right wingers argue that the Roe v Wade decision was incorrect and without precedent. However, a review of Black's comments will prove that it was legally correct and would have been decided in the same manner in that scholar's time.

The best way to stop or minimize abortions is to insure that everyone who wants it gets a job, decent housing, and access to public services. This is what progressive reformers have said for years.

koko

Post #6

Post by koko »

I am an abortion survivor while recognizing that abortion was legal under the Anglo Saxon common law. For those who doubt whether that latter statement is correct, see Black's Legal Dictionary & Commentary which is readily available online.

Many right wingers argue that the Roe v Wade decision was incorrect and without precedent. However, a review of Black's comments will prove that it was legally correct and would have been decided in the same manner in that scholar's time.

The best way to stop or minimize abortions is to insure that everyone who wants it gets a job, decent housing, and access to public services. This is what progressive reformers have said for years.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #7

Post by Divine Insight »

koko wrote: The best way to stop or minimize abortions is to insure that everyone who wants it gets a job, decent housing, and access to public services. This is what progressive reformers have said for years.
I agree. The best way to address the abortion issue is to focus on things that would cause the number of women who might want to have an abortion to become quite low.

The other thing that seems confusing is that many people who are anti-abortion, are also anti-contraceptives. So they are actually standing in the way of things that would actually reduce abortions.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #8

Post by JoeyKnothead »

From the OP:
Do y'all believe it is acceptable for a woman to have an abortion?
Is it acceptable for women to tell which of us men have a vasectomotomy?
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #9

Post by Bust Nak »

Texan Christian wrote: Do y'all believe it is acceptable for a woman to have an abortion?
Of course, it's an essential medical service for woman.

bluethread
Savant

Post #10

Post by bluethread »

koko wrote:
When in all of history has that ever happened? What about those who don't want a job, but just want decent housing, and access to public services?