Abortion

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

Texan Christian
Student
Location: A small house on a big ranch, in a small town in the big state of Texas

Abortion

Post #1

Post by Texan Christian »

Do y'all believe it is acceptable for a woman to have an abortion?

IMO:

when a woman says "I should decide what to do with my body" I'm like "well... first of all that baby isn't part of your body, it's someone else's body, so yeah..."

what're yalls views on this topic? post below!

Good day and God Bless :)

jgh7

Re: Abortion

Post #41

Post by jgh7 »

[Replying to Bust Nak]

I think my prior post best sums up my beliefs and what I intend to convey when referring to a blastocyst and onward as a human.

I'll refrain from labelling values as logical or illogical from now on as I agree with you about logic not playing a role in value.

But I guess that entails that the best anyone can do to debate this topic is to say why they prefer their values and why they don't like other people's values. Is that correct?

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #42

Post by Bust Nak »

[Replying to post 41 by jgh7]

Correct, we can only tell people why we prefer our values and why we don't like other people's values. Once we have establish common values, then we can work on deciding how best to achieve, but with most moral issues, the two sides feel too strongly about their preference to compromise.

Yahu
Banned
Banned

Post #43

Post by Yahu »

Texan Christian wrote: Do y'all believe it is acceptable for a woman to have an abortion?

IMO:
when a woman says "I should decide what to do with my body" I'm like "well... first of all that baby isn't part of your body, it's someone else's body, so yeah..."

Is it okay for the majority to dictate law in this country? Yes.

Does a minority have the right to dictate to the majority? No.

Do I personally oppose abortion? Yes.

Do I have the right to prevent someone else from having one? No. I have no say so unless it is my own child as well.

Now why would I hold these views as a Christian? Yeshua in Rev 2 declares a curse on women that follow the ways of Jezebel. That curse is the 'death of her children'. Is it my right to prevent that curse from falling on a woman that lives a lifestyle where she doesn't want to have a child of a man she had sex with? No, let her curse her own life with the shedding of innocent blood. It is a judgement against her for her lifestyle. Let a Jezebel kill her own children.

Yahu
Banned
Banned

Post #44

Post by Yahu »

jgh7 wrote: Is it possible to hold the stance that it is equivalent to murder but still hold that it should be a freedom of choice.

Cus unfortunately that's where I'm at right now. It feels like a highly illogical stance to me.
Yes, that is a valid option and one that I also hold from the Christian perspective.

Since when is it a Christian's job to stop non-believers from doing what we consider sin? We are also to abide by the laws of the land. Does that mean I would personally consider recommending abortion to a woman I have gotten pregnant? No.

I have been in that situation far too many times. At one time when I was in the military, I had five girls pregnant at the same time and none of them were my wife. I have four sons as a result. Yes one was aborted against my advice. Now one of them was a planned pregnancy. I was a surrogate father for a friend because her husband was sterile. One I wasn't even aware of until two years later. Two were girls that I had given rape counseling and they loved me but knew I couldn't marry them. I was already married. They wanted me to become a polygamist.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #45

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Texan Christian wrote: Do y'all believe it is acceptable for a woman to have an abortion?

IMO:

No, as one of Jehovah's Witnesses I believe that a developing child in the womb of its mother is a life and to kill it would be wrong.

Millions and millions of abortions are performed a year, some as late as 6 months, its in my opinion shocking.

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Elijah John
Savant

Post #46

Post by Elijah John »

JehovahsWitness wrote:

IMO:

No, as one of Jehovah's Witnesses I believe that a developing child in the womb of its mother is a life and to kill it would be wrong.

Millions and millions of abortions are performed a year, some as late as 6 months, its in my opinion shocking.

JW
Then why don't you folks vote for pro-life candidates? Doing nothing allows (what we see as) evil to flourish.

Why not put your right to vote where your mouth is?
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

Clownboat
Savant

Post #47

Post by Clownboat »

JehovahsWitness wrote:

IMO:

JW
According to the March of Dimes, as many as 50% of all pregnancies end in miscarriage.
https://www.webmd.com/baby/guide/pregna ... carriage#1

What I find shocking is how people get all up in arms about unwanted fetuses. All the while worshiping a god that aborts 50% of all pregnancies. Most of these are wanted babies mind you.

I fear many have lost the forest for the trees. We should use our energy trying to save wanted aborted fetuses IMO, not ones that are being aborted for being not wanted.

I can only shake my head in disbelief by those who pretend to be high and mighty because they champion saving unwanted fetuses while ignoring a process that aborts 50% of fetuses. The hypocrisy...
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

bluethread
Savant

Post #48

Post by bluethread »

Clownboat wrote:
I can only shake my head in disbelief by those who pretend to be high and mighty because they champion saving unwanted fetuses while ignoring a process that aborts 50% of fetuses. The hypocrisy...
OK, I'm for taking all of the government funding for planned parenthood and rather giving it to the march of dimes instead. By the way are you in favor of making it illegal for women who do the following thing that cause miscarriage from getting pregnant; drinking, smoking, recreational drugs, poor diet, advanced age, diabetes, high blood pressure, kidney disease, etc? Is it hypocritical to do something that is possible, if one does not do something about what is not possible?

Clownboat
Savant

Post #49

Post by Clownboat »

bluethread wrote:
Clownboat wrote:
OK, I'm for taking all of the government funding for planned parenthood and rather giving it to the march of dimes instead.
OK?
Not sure how that addresses how 50% of pregnancies abort naturally though. Your not trying to distract away from this point are you?
By the way are you in favor of making it illegal for women who do the following thing that cause miscarriage from getting pregnant; drinking, smoking, recreational drugs, poor diet, advanced age, diabetes, high blood pressure, kidney disease, etc?
No.
Is it hypocritical to do something that is possible, if one does not do something about what is not possible?
Not necessarily. Specifics would be needed, otherwise I'm afraid my brush would be much to wide.

Bottom line for me. If a person believes that a god created the world and how it works, and is against aborting fetuses, then said person should probably keep their mouth shut about what others do with their bodies and picket their god and all the fetuses it is responsible for aborting since the number is astronomically higher. To focus on unwanted fetuses is to have lost the forest for the trees.
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

bluethread
Savant

Post #50

Post by bluethread »

Clownboat wrote: [quote="[url=http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/viewtopic.php?
OK, I'm for taking all of the government funding for planned parenthood and rather giving it to the march of dimes instead.
OK?
Not sure how that addresses how 50% of pregnancies abort naturally though. Your not trying to distract away from this point are you?
Doesn't the March of Dimes do research into stopping miscarriage?
By the way are you in favor of making it illegal for women who do the following thing that cause miscarriage from getting pregnant; drinking, smoking, recreational drugs, poor diet, advanced age, diabetes, high blood pressure, kidney disease, etc?
No.
Then are you arguing that the unborn don't matter at all, or is it just that the unborn only matter if they are wanted by the mother?
Is it hypocritical to do something that is possible, if one does not do something about what is not possible?
Not necessarily. Specifics would be needed, otherwise I'm afraid my brush would be much to wide.

Bottom line for me. If a person believes that a god created the world and how it works, and is against aborting fetuses, then said person should probably keep their mouth shut about what others do with their bodies and picket their god and all the fetuses it is responsible for aborting since the number is astronomically higher. To focus on unwanted fetuses is to have lost the forest for the trees.
So, is it losing the forest for the trees, if I protest child abuse, because of all the "wanted" children who die of childhood illnesses?