Daniel 4

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

Danmark
Site Supporter

Daniel 4

Post #1

Post by Danmark »

There are still some Christians who claim God appoints world leaders for his purposes. They cite Daniel 4, and Paul's letter to the Romans. From the former:
the most High ruleth in the kingdom of men, and giveth it to whomsoever he will, and setteth up over it the basest of men.
This was a reference to Nebuchadnezzar. Some Christians today use this verse to justify electing a racist, misogynist, self dealing and lying bigot: Donald Trump.

By the same logic, God Himself chose Barak Obama, a person these same people revile.

Isn't it long past time for not using Bible verses to justify who we should elect as our leaders?

Talishi
Guru

Re: Daniel 4

Post #2

Post by Talishi »

Danmark wrote: By the same logic, God Himself chose Barak Obama, a person these same people revile.
When Donald Trump mentioned "President Obama" yesterday he made the guesture of scare quotes with his fingers, implying he's not really our president, probably because he's not really an American. The crowd ate it up. But their own Bible says God himself appoints rulers on Earth.
Thank you for playing Debating Christianity & Religion!

2Dbunk
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by 2Dbunk »

[Replying to post 1 by Danmark]
There are still some Christians who claim God appoints world leaders for his purposes. They cite Daniel 4, and Paul's letter to the Romans. From the former:
the most High ruleth in the kingdom of men, and giveth it to whomsoever he will, and setteth up over it the basest of men.
This was a reference to Nebuchadnezzar. Some Christians today use this verse to justify electing a racist, misogynist, self dealing and lying bigot: Donald Trump.

By the same logic, God Himself chose Barak Obama, a person these same people revile.

Isn't it long past time for not using Bible verses to justify who we should elect as our leaders?
Yes it is! I used to think "God" was instrumental in picking the right person for the presidency -- until the 1972 election. I was pretty sure Nixon was involved with the Watergate break-in (an in-the-gut feeling) so I voted for McGovern. Well, after the election it didn't take long for the truth to emerge and we had to regurgitate a president.

So much for a deity picking our leaders! You have to wonder if the Republicans will ever get it right -- you know, with "God" as their co-pilot . . . pilot . . . whatever.
What good is truth if its value is not more than unproven, handed-down faith?

One believes things because one is conditioned to believe them. -Aldous Huxley

Fear within the Religious will always be with them ... as long as they are fearful of death.

Witness2U
Banned
Banned

Post #4

Post by Witness2U »

God is the creator of everything we human beings experience so if he elects Donald Trump or Hillary Clinton, he will confuse at least half of the Americans who believe they were responsible in choosing these heathens.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #5

Post by JehovahsWitness »

I believe Daniel 4 is true but I don't use the verse in that way. I'm against hatred and racism.

JEHOVAHS WITNESS
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #6

Post by McCulloch »

Elections, democracy and consent of those ruled are all concepts entirely foreign to the writers of the Bible. God appoints the rulers, for good or ill. The faithful are called merely to submit to those authorities. Only if submission to authority directly contradicts obedience to one of God's commands are the faithful allowed to disobey.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John