A government that will solve our problems

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

JehovahsWitness
Savant

A government that will solve our problems

Post #1

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Jehovah's Witnesses do not vote because we are already committed to God's government.

My question is, do you really believe that a human government will one day solve the major problems facing mankind?
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Divine Insight
Savant

Re: A government that will solve our problems

Post #11

Post by Divine Insight »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Thanks for your input though, it was an interesting read.

Go well,

JW
That's all fine and dandy, but this isn't "General Chat". This is Theology, Doctrine, and Dogma.

So what does your question have to do with Theology, Doctrine, and Dogma?

and also:

With respect to Theology, Doctrine and Dogma, what is your excuse for dismissing Paul's decree?

Can you please post scripture that contradicts Paul's claim and supports your denial of it?

Where is your Theology, Doctrine and Dogma support that all governments on the earth aren't already "God's Governments"?

According to Paul all governing authorities have been established by God.

Romans 13:1 Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God.

He states clearly, not once but twice, in this same verse that all authorities that exist have been established by God.

Where is your theological, doctrine, dogma or scriptural support to reject the proclamation of Paul in Romans 13:1?
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

dio9
Under Probation

Post #12

Post by dio9 »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
dio9 wrote: [Replying to post 1 by JehovahsWitness]

Yes I believe the human race will evolve intellectually and emotionally into a civilization where swords are bent into plows and spears to pruning forks.

Interesting. Do you feel government will play a role in this? I ask because I recently had a conversation with someone who expressed their hope in the new American President and I wondered is there were still people that believe that governments can solve the problems humanity faces.
Government is only as good as the people . The people will solve the problems.

bluethread
Savant

Post #13

Post by bluethread »

dio9 wrote:
Or suffer and die. Such is the Achilles heel of humanism.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #14

dio9 wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote:
dio9 wrote: [Replying to post 1 by JehovahsWitness]

Yes I believe the human race will evolve intellectually and emotionally into a civilization where swords are bent into plows and spears to pruning forks.

Interesting. Do you feel government will play a role in this? I ask because I recently had a conversation with someone who expressed their hope in the new American President and I wondered is there were still people that believe that governments can solve the problems humanity faces.
You sound so sure, why has it not happened already?

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

Elijah John
Savant

Post #15

Post by Elijah John »

Let me ask JW's this. Do you oppose abortion?

If yes, then shouldn't you do what you can to end abortions?

If yes, then shouldn't you vote for pro-life candidates?

And by not voting for pro-life candidates, (because you don't want to participate in governement) aren't you abdicating your reponsibility to do what you can to end abortions?

Remember, Paul said if someone knows what is right but fails to do it, for that person it is sin.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

dio9
Under Probation

Post #16

Post by dio9 »

[Replying to JehovahsWitness]

I am believing humanity will evolve intellectually morally and emotionally so much so as to end the foolishness of bad governments.

May I ask you a question , what kind of government do you see us having now?

dio9
Under Probation

Post #17

Post by dio9 »

bluethread wrote:
dio9 wrote:
Or suffer and die. Such is the Achilles heel of humanism.
I am an optimist for humanity.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #18

Elijah John wrote: Let me ask JW's this. Do you oppose abortion?

If yes, then shouldn't you do what you can to end abortions?

If yes, then shouldn't you vote for pro-life candidates?

And by not voting for pro-life candidates, (because you don't want to participate in governement) aren't you abdicating your reponsibility to do what you can to end abortions?

Remember, Paul said if someone knows what is right but fails to do it, for that person it is sin.
Yes I believe that abortions are wrong. And yes I do what i can by educating people on bible standards, as the bible instructs Christians to do.

Of course people are free to do as they like I don't believe in imposing by beliefs on others, but as you know we Jehovah's Witness conduct an voluntary outreach work in which we collectively spend many billions of hours* "doing what we can". NOT sitting in the warm January comfort of our own homes, tapping on a computer on the internet but out in the cold and the snow, risking people's displeasure and even aggression to help those that need it. You might say, we try and end abortions, one womb at at time**

*Last year the 8 million Jehovah's Witnesses spent 1,983,763,754 hours in their bible education work.

As for changing things through involvement in politics, while I'm sure many people here would say we need more religion in politics, we keep our religion out of politics. We believe that our fight is a spiritual one, because Jesus commanded his disciples to be "no part of this world". We interpret this to mean to remain politically neutral and not get involved in the power struggles of this world.

God's Government, we believe, will intervene to establish world peace and justice for all (including the billions of unborn children that have been killed by abortions). In the meantime, we help people by visiting them personally and speaking to them face to face.

JW

**Obviously we do not ask people personal questions in our ministry, but abortions is one of the topics discussed with those that choose to follow a home bible study course with Jehovah's Witnesses (when dealing with the topic "respect for life") so those that study with JWs are educated as to God's standards on this matter. Plus it is not unusual for people (struggling with this issue) to approach one of our ministers asking for bible based advice. Their choices are their personal business.

source: https://www.jw.org/en/bible-teachings/q ... ible-view/
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #19

dio9 wrote: [Replying to JehovahsWitness]

I am believing humanity will evolve intellectually morally and emotionally so much so as to end the foolishness of bad governments.

May I ask you a question , what kind of government do you see us having now?
"us" who? There are different kinds of governments all over the world. The one in North Korea has little in common with the one in the UK, France or The United States.

In any case, Jehovah's Witnesses don't vote or get involved in politics. As far as we are concerned there are two kinds of governments, manmade (human) government, and God's (heavenly) government. As I said earlier, we believe only God's government will ultimately solve mankinds problems.

JW

Elijah John
Savant

Post #20

Post by Elijah John »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
Yes I believe that abortions are wrong. And yes I do what i can by educating people on bible standards, as the bible instructs Christians to do.

Of course people are free to do as they like I don't believe in imposing by beliefs on others, /
That is commendable that you are using the education approach. But saying that you "don't believe in imposing your beliefs on others" sounds very much like a politicians cop-out.

John Kerry for example, says pretty much the exact same thing, yet can be seen at times marching behind the "keep abortion legal" banner along with other celebrities.

Their version of the same rationale is: "I am personally opposed to abortion, but I don't want to impose my beliefs on others".

Granted Kerry's activism goes well beyond passivity that, in effect, condones, but he uses the same rationale.

Isn't such passivity in the face of a life or death issue, passivity that you advocate by abstention, tantamount to condoning abortion?

There is some truth to the old cliche, that for "evil to flourish, good people need only to do nothing."

At least JW's are doing something with education, you are appealing to minds and hearts, and that is excellent.

But we need your votes too, until Christ returns, don't all life-affirming Christians have that obligation to do everything we can to stop evil?

Question, is it considered sin for a JW to vote? Is there any room for individual consience to dissent and to then participate in government actions such as voting?

Would a JW who chose to vote be subject to actual discipline?
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.