Russian Ban of Jehovah's Witnesses

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Russian Ban of Jehovah's Witnesses

Post #1

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Jehovah's Witneses in Russia a facing an imminent ban which would criminalize all of Jehovah's Witnessses in the country as "extremists". Jehovah's Witnesses worldwide are presently conducting a letter writing campaign to protest this injustice.
CLATIFICATION 2020: Since the ban of the Watchtower Society was eventually passed in April 2017 thread is specifically to discuss the actual charges mentioned in the State procesution papers and the subseqent arrests under the specific charges under Article 282.2 (1) of the Criminal Code of the Russian Federation (RF Criminal Code) of EXTREMISM in Russia.

What is your opinion of this move? Should Jehovah's Witnesses be banned from meeting to pray, read their bibles and sing spiritual songs together?

Do you think such a move could be envisioned elsewhere?

If you are non-religious, would you welcome such measures as a move to ultimately eliminate organized religion?

https://www.jw.org/en/news/releases/by- ... at-of-ban/
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:10 am, edited 6 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: Russian Ban of Jehovah's Witnesses

Post #181

Tcg wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:32 am This would still require us to consider the activities of JWs in countries other than Russia.

Yes as long that is an examination of the activities mentioned under Article 282.2 (1) of the Criminal Code of the Russian Federation. (Sexual abuse for example is not mentioned in the Act so it would be irrelevant to this thread). The OP was not to discuss the topic of sexual abuse in Russia or any other country, it was to discuss Article 282.2 (1) of the Criminal Code of the Russian Federation and its repurcussions.

JW

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

Tcg
Savant

Post #182

Post by Tcg »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:35 am
Tcg wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:32 am This would still require us to consider the activities of JWs in countries other than Russia.
Yes as long that is an examination of the things mentioned under Article 282.2 (1) of the Criminal Code of the Russian Federation. (Sexual abuse for example is not mentioned in the Act so it would be irrelevant).

JW
You consider it irrelevant now that you have modified your O.P. If one reads my posts with care they'll see that it is not only the sexual abuse within JW ranks that is problematic. It is rather their extremist behavior to hide this activity from the authorities in the nations in which they practice their religion. As you have now admitted, all nations in which JWs do so is under consideration.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #183

Tcg wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:44 am
You consider it irrelevant now that you have modified your O.P.
Yes. It is now irrelevant to my OP as per my modifications. Neither Sexual abuse nor attempts to hide abuses were mentioned under Article 282.2 (1) of the Criminal Code of the Russian Federation so it is also not relevant to this discussion.

Thank you for your participation so far,

JW
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tcg
Savant

Post #184

Post by Tcg »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:47 am
Tcg wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:44 am
JehovahsWitness wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:35 am
Yes as long that is an examination of the things mentioned under Article 282.2 (1) of the Criminal Code of the Russian Federation. (Sexual abuse for example is not mentioned in the Act so it would be irrelevant).

JW
You consider it irrelevant now that you have modified your O.P.
Yes. It is now irrelevant to my OP as per my modifications.

Thank you for your participation so far,

JW
No, it is not. It remains relevant given that you have agreed this consideration expands beyond the borders of Russia.

Of course your attempt to consider my posts before your "modifications" as irrelevant are noted and as I have just revealed my posts remain relevant even after your attempt the change the subject.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #185

I have thanked you for your contribution up until that point and have sought to clarify my intended focus. We will just let the moderators make any further decisons on this matter. I am quite happy to have the thread closed and to repost a discussion on the present developments with a better worded OP

Let us both now wait on a moderators decision,

Have an excellent day,

JW

Tcg
Savant

Post #186

Post by Tcg »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:02 am I have thanked you for your contribution up until that point and have sought to clarify my intended focus.

JW
And I have acknowledged your thanks and have addressed your points both before and after your attempts to clarify your intended focus. My posts address directly your OP both before and after your modifications.

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

grumix8

Post #187

Post by grumix8 »

Russia is wrong, G-d will judge them because no one can opress G-d's people one day the ban will be lifted. So many regimes like China, India, Rusia, and Europe have opressed and never won. He will win.

Clownboat
Savant

Post #188

Post by Clownboat »

grumix8 wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:46 pm Russia is wrong, G-d will judge them because no one can opress G-d's people one day the ban will be lifted. So many regimes like China, India, Rusia, and Europe have opressed and never won. He will win.
Please show that you speak the truth and that Russia got it wrong.
Please show that you speak the truth and that a god will judge them.
Which god concept are you referring to and how did you arrive at this information?
Be well.
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #189

Post by nobspeople »

grumix8 wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:46 pm Russia is wrong, G-d will judge them because no one can opress G-d's people one day the ban will be lifted. So many regimes like China, India, Rusia, and Europe have opressed and never won. He will win.
He might, but he sure seems to be taking his good ol' time declaring victory. In the meantime, some of 'his people' are suffering every day. Maybe they're not as important as those that will be alive when he does wim?
As far as JWs - some Christians don't consider them 'his people' (same with mormons & scientologists, for example). But, then again, this happens even within the same church so.... :shock:
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Tcg
Savant

Post #190

Post by Tcg »

God's people support the oppression of God's people in Russia:
Russian police raid Jehovah's Witnesses' homes

The Russian Orthodox Church welcomed the ban in 2017. A senior Orthodox cleric, Metropolitan Hilarion, called the Jehovah's Witnesses a "totalitarian sect" on Russian TV.

He said: "It's hard to deny that these cultists will remain and continue their activity... but at least they'll stop openly claiming to be a Christian faith, in other words, in the market place of existing Christian confessions this product will no longer be on display.

"And I think that's all for the best. It'll save families, people's lives".

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-55061919
If the ban is lifted, some of God's people will be very disappointed.

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom