Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

Tired of the Nonsense
Site Supporter

Bill O'Reilly Fired!

Post #1

Post by Tired of the Nonsense »

Bill O'Reilly out at Fox News after sexual harassment allegations

Longtime Fox News host Bill O’Reilly will not return to the network in the wake of renewed scrutiny over allegations of sexual harassment, 21st Century Fox said Wednesday.

“After a thorough and careful review of the allegations, the Company and Bill O’Reilly have agreed that Bill O’Reilly will not be returning to the Fox News Channel,� the Fox News parent company said in a statement.

The announcement comes after weeks of renewed scrutiny over O’Reilly’s behavior toward women at Fox News. O’Reilly and Fox reportedly settled several multi-million-dollar lawsuits with women who accused the host of sexual harassment.

O’Reilly last appeared on air on April 11 before taking what he said was a pre-planned vacation. New York magazine reported earlier Wednesday that the Murdoch family, which controls 21st Century Fox, had decided to cut ties with the host.

© 2017 CBS Interactive Inc. All Rights Reserved.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/bill-oreill ... legations/

Keith Olbermann continuously portrayed O'Reilly as the "Worse person in the world." Personally I think there are many much worse than O'Reilly.

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Veteran newsman Ted Koppel told Fox News host Sean Hannity that he is "bad for America" in an interview that aired on CBS' Sunday Morning that quickly became a trending topic on social media Sunday. (3/27/17)

Image "The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this." -- Albert Einstein -- Written in 1954 to Jewish philosopher Erik Gutkind.

bluethread
Savant

Post #31

Post by bluethread »

Tired of the Nonsense wrote:
bluethread wrote: The press and the democrats wanted to sweep Clintons problems under the rug as a "personal matter", even though he was accused of far more than harassment and Hillary went after his accusers with vengeance. Which is interesting because during the presidential campaign she said all rape victims deserve to be believed. When people on the right are called out on this stuff, they are brought to task. However, when those who are "correct on the issues" do such things, it is overlooked. So, rant all you want, but until people stop rioting for peace, shutting people down in the name of free speech, and supporting women's rights misogynists, this is not going to stop. Irony makes it hard to take people seriously.
No one ever claimed that Monica Lewinsky was anything other that a willing participant.
What about Paula Jones, Juanita Broaddrick, Kathleen Willey, Eileen Wellstone, Elizabeth Ward Gracen, Becky Brown, Helen Dowdy and Cristy Zercher?

DanieltheDragon
Savant

Post #32

Post by DanieltheDragon »

[Replying to post 30 by Tired of the Nonsense]

Monica Lewinsky, Vanity Fair

" “Sure, my boss took advantage of me, but I will always remain firm on this point: it was a consensual relationship. Any ‘abuse’ came in the aftermath, when I was made a scapegoat in order to protect his powerful position. . . . The Clinton administration, the special prosecutor’s minions, the political operatives on both sides of the aisle, and the media were able to brand me. And that brand stuck, in part because it was imbued with power"

Bill wasn't so innocent...
Post 1: Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:48 am Otseng has been banned
Otseng has been banned for having multiple accounts and impersonating a moderator.

bluethread
Savant

Re: Bill O'Reilly Fired!

Post #33

Post by bluethread »

(CNN)Crowds massed in the US capital and around the world Saturday to support science and evidence-based research -- a protest partly fueled by opposition to President Donald Trump's threats of budget cuts to agencies funding scientists' work.

At the main March for Science, demonstrators gathered at Washington's National Mall to hear speakers laud science as the force moving humanity forward, and rail against policymakers they say are ignoring fact and research in areas including climate change.
"Today we have a great many lawmakers -- not just here but around the world -- deliberately ignoring and actively suppressing science," one of the event's speakers, TV host and scientist Bill Nye, told a rain-soaked crowd from a stage.

"Their inclination is misguided and in no one's best interest. Our lives are in every way improved by having clean water, reliable electricity and access to electronic global information."

Besides the Washington march, organizers said more than 600 "satellite" marches were taking place globally in a protest timed to coincide with Earth Day.
http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/22/health/gl ... r-science/
So, this research is so important, someone else should pay for it? They are marching because they are not getting a handout? What makes this search for "evidence" a federal issue? I gather that this is just a call for lining the pockets of college Professors at taxpayer expense.

DanieltheDragon
Savant

Post #34

bluethread wrote:
(CNN)Crowds massed in the US capital and around the world Saturday to support science and evidence-based research -- a protest partly fueled by opposition to President Donald Trump's threats of budget cuts to agencies funding scientists' work.

At the main March for Science, demonstrators gathered at Washington's National Mall to hear speakers laud science as the force moving humanity forward, and rail against policymakers they say are ignoring fact and research in areas including climate change.
"Today we have a great many lawmakers -- not just here but around the world -- deliberately ignoring and actively suppressing science," one of the event's speakers, TV host and scientist Bill Nye, told a rain-soaked crowd from a stage.

"Their inclination is misguided and in no one's best interest. Our lives are in every way improved by having clean water, reliable electricity and access to electronic global information."

Besides the Washington march, organizers said more than 600 "satellite" marches were taking place globally in a protest timed to coincide with Earth Day.
http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/22/health/gl ... r-science/
So, this research is so important, someone else should pay for it? They are marching because they are not getting a handout? What makes this search for "evidence" a federal issue? I gather that this is just a call for lining the pockets of college Professors at taxpayer expense.
It is a public interest issue and our country both republican and democrat alike has put value in scientific pursuit. DARPA, NASA, National science foundation, Dept. of Energy, are all science related federal branches.
Otseng has been banned for having multiple accounts and impersonating a moderator.

bluethread
Savant

Post #35

Post by bluethread »

DanieltheDragon wrote:

It is a public interest issue and our country both republican and democrat alike has put value in scientific pursuit. DARPA, NASA, National science foundation, Dept. of Energy, are all science related federal branches.
What is not in the "public interest"? Something being in the "public interest" does not justify the federal government extorting funds from the citizenry or devaluing those funds trough deficit spending to support it. I have no doubt that politician see it as valuable. If I could win your favor by spending Winepusher's money, I would definitely find that valuable. However, I doubt Winepusher would appreciate that. Third, the fact that a multitude of money pits have been established does not mean that it is proper for the federal government to extorting funds from the citizenry or devalue those funds trough deficit spending to throw into them. I was about to ask how all of this relates to the accusations against O'Reilly. However, I just realized that it is related in that it involves the government sexually harassing the taxpayer.

DanieltheDragon
Savant

Post #36

[Replying to post 35 by bluethread]

Oh taxes are extortion? Good luck using any roads and hospitals. Forget being protected by the military or police. Why don't we get rid of the fire dept as well. Reality dictates policy a no tax policy is a no government policy. Seeing as how the majority of people you live around want a government whether big or small means there will be taxes and there will be government.If you have agreed to live in the United States you have agreed to be its taxes where applicable. That is not extortion that's rent.

Both the states and congress are given authority to levy taxes. As a democracy we decide as a country and/or state where the funds are spent. There are anarchic collectives that don't tax, though.

Having a science policy in America has helped make us the most powerful economic force the world has ever seen. Abandoning that would be economic and military suicide.

help3434
Guru

Post #37

Post by help3434 »

[Replying to post 30 by Tired of the Nonsense]

Yeah Monica was, but several women women accused him of sexual harassment, most famously Paula Jones but also Kathleen Willey and Juanita Broaddrick.

bluethread
Savant

Post #38

Post by bluethread »

DanieltheDragon wrote: [Replying to post 35 by bluethread]

Oh taxes are extortion? Good luck using any roads and hospitals. Forget being protected by the military or police. Why don't we get rid of the fire dept as well. Reality dictates policy a no tax policy is a no government policy. Seeing as how the majority of people you live around want a government whether big or small means there will be taxes and there will be government.If you have agreed to live in the United States you have agreed to be its taxes where applicable. That is not extortion that's rent.
This is not a single point, but a series of assumptions. Let's look at them one at a time.

First, the means of collection has nothing to do with the use of the funds. When something is taken from someone under treat of fine and/or imprisonment, that is extortion. One may argue that extortion is necessary in some cases, but it is still extortion.

Second, the military and arbitrating disputes between the states is necessary in a federation, which I consider to be better than a confederation, where the states provides for their own defense and work out their own disputes. Beyond that, I do not think the federal government should have any other authority. However, that can be debated. However, I don't know of hardly anyone who believes the federal government should have authority over everything.

Third, many localities have private roads, hospitals, fire departments and even police. There are also ones that are funded through levies, i.e. funds collected for a specific purpose. Federal funding for things such as science and the arts are not funded in this way, so the citizenry has little say in how those funds are spent. This is a perfect opportunity for grant padding and log rolling.

Fourth, it is true, as Toqueville said, when people can vote themselves largess democracy is done. However, that does not mean that it is right to continue down that road. Yes, taxation has undermined property rights, but that does not mean that is right. The phrase "pursuit of happiness" in the Declaration of Independence does not mean largess from the government, but was, in fact, property, in the first draft. It was changed because that might have given the impression that everyone has a right to have property.

Fifth, living in these United States does not obligate one to just accept the system as it is. In fact, the first amendment grants one the right to petition the government for redress of grievances. Therefore, no, living here does not obligate one to accept the status quo.
Both the states and congress are given authority to levy taxes. As a democracy we decide as a country and/or state where the funds are spent. There are anarchic collectives that don't tax, though.
Two points. First, the States and Congress derive there powers from the governed and again as the Declaration states, "whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it,". Second, as a republic, on the federal level, it is not us, but our representatives that decide where those funds are spent, and that includes deciding to not spend funds. So, if it is not appropriate for one to criticize the funding of certain projects, it is also inappropriate to criticize NOT funding those projects.
Having a science policy in America has helped make us the most powerful economic force the world has ever seen. Abandoning that would be economic and military suicide.
The first amendment permits you to voice that opinion. However, even if that is true, it does not mean that policy must be federally funded.

DanieltheDragon
Savant

Post #39

[Replying to post 38 by bluethread]
irst, the means of collection has nothing to do with the use of the funds. When something is taken from someone under treat of fine and/or imprisonment, that is extortion. One may argue that extortion is necessary in some cases, but it is still extortion.
If your going with a generalized definition that applies to any financial law or ruling state, federal, or civil. Interest rates banks charge extortion! Late fees extortion! Civil penalties regarding negligence extortion! Such an obtuse definition is impractical and dilutes its meaning. Renters use of eviction for those who don't pay rent extortion!

One may argue that the criminal threat of force or coercion is a better definition...

DanieltheDragon
Savant

Post #40

[Replying to post 38 by bluethread]
Second, the military and arbitrating disputes between the states is necessary in a federation, which I consider to be better than a confederation, where the states provides for their own defense and work out their own disputes. Beyond that, I do not think the federal government should have any other authority. However, that can be debated. However, I don't know of hardly anyone who believes the federal government should have authority over everything.
Who is talking about authority over everything? Merely that a federal science policy is in the best interests of our country economically and militarily. What authority you deam the federal government to possess is immaterial to what actual powers are given to the federal government.

Certainly I would like to see a smaller government there are areas that need to be cut back. Cutting back on science initiatives is a threat to our economy and our national security.