Should America nuke the Middle East?

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

WinePusher
Scholar

Should America nuke the Middle East?

Post #1

Post by WinePusher »

Nuking Japan effectively ended WWII. A major reason why America decided to nuke Japan was that the Japanese, at the time, suffered from the same type of suicide bombing martyr"ism" that the Muslims currently suffer from.

People still continue to debate the pros and cons and dropping Nukes on Japan, and whether it was the right way to end WWII. Obviously nuclear weaponry is an affront to humanity, and I would prefer a world where nukes didn't exist, and I do support nuclear disarmament campaigns.

However, Muslim terrorism isn't going away. Nothing the west is doing seems to be working. If the use of nuclear weapons was able to end WWII, would it be able to end Muslim terrorism?

benchwarmer
Guru

Re: Should America nuke the Middle East?

Post #11

Post by benchwarmer »

Monta wrote: [Replying to post 9 by benchwarmer]

"If we can somehow reach people before they are radicalized and indoctrinated with ideas of 'killing all the infidels' then we might have a chance. How do we do that? Sadly I don't have a clue. My small contribution is engaging on a site like this and trying to get people set in their ways from indoctrination to think about other possibilities"

Who is 'they'?
Who is it who's indoctrinated?
The people who eventually become terrorists. Surely you don't think terrorists just wake up one morning and decide to murder a bunch of innocent people do you? They somehow have to come to the belief that whatever carnage they are performing will somehow help their cause.
Monta wrote: Who thinks its ok to deatroy another country and kill its people?
Not me. I've never advocated destroying another country. I'm advocating education, rational thinking, and questioning people who ask other people to 'join their cause'.
Monta wrote: Number Of Iraqis Slaughtered In US War And Occupation Of Iraq "1,455,590"

Perhaps China or Nth korea or Russia should nuke US before it kills another 1,455.590?
No, nobody should nuke anybody. That's just knee jerk reactionism and plain old revenge with a side of blind rage.

We all know that in any population it's normally only a very small minority of people who are causing most of the problems. We can't bomb a small number of people scattered among the mostly peaceful populace and expect a useful result. We can try to figure out why this small number of people are becoming radicalized enough to want to kill other people. Then we need to try to stop the problem before it starts.

I know many here don't like to hear it, but debunking religion is a great place to start fighting this 'war' on radicalization. Not all terrorists are religiously motivated, but many surely are.

I'll put my asbestos underpants on now. And maybe some SPF 60 sunscreen.

Monta
Guru

Post #12

Post by Monta »

[Replying to post 11 by benchwarmer]

" We can try to figure out why this small number of people are becoming radicalized enough to want to kill other people. Then we need to try to stop the problem before it starts."

That was good post so I pose a question on the basis of it: 'have you figured it out why this small number of people are becoming radicalised enough to want to kill other people?'

benchwarmer
Guru

Post #13

Post by benchwarmer »

Monta wrote: [Replying to post 11 by benchwarmer]

" We can try to figure out why this small number of people are becoming radicalized enough to want to kill other people. Then we need to try to stop the problem before it starts."

That was good post so I pose a question on the basis of it: 'have you figured it out why this small number of people are becoming radicalised enough to want to kill other people?'
No, I haven't. Certainly not to any specific cause. I only know what I see happen around me.

I think we all know that some people are good at convincing other people of their position. We also know that some people are prone to believe almost anything if it is presented to them in a convincing way. Somewhere in here we have 'bad' people convincing others of 'evil' positions and terrorists are born. I have no idea how to keep the 'bad' people away from the easily convinced.

Kenisaw
Guru

Post #14

Post by Kenisaw »

Monta wrote: [Replying to post 5 by WinePusher]

"Then what can we do? Again, let's go with what you said. At this point I'm willing to try anything. Let's pull out every single soldier and let's stop bombing them. Do you really think this will stop Muslim terrorism? Or, will it not just allow them free reign to grow even larger. "

It's too late for that. You have destroyed their cities killed their children and they want revenge. Unfortunatelly it is the rest of the world that is paying the price.
Whoa, hold on a sec.

By "you have destroyed their cities" etc I assume you are trying to state that the U.S. in particular (or Western countries in general) have somehow created this problem. The Sunni and Shi'te have been at each other for quite a long time. Al Qaeda even attacked ISIS in parts of Syria because they don't think ISIS is going about the right way to bring Armageddon to the world. As Sam Harris constantly points out, the most likely victim of Islamic extremism and terrorism is...other Muslims.

I do not pretend that the U.S. or Western European countries have nothing to do with the current situation. Certainly we have created power voids that allowed the flames of political Islamism to be fanned, but the flames were always there since 500 AD thanks to Mohamed.

Kenisaw
Guru

Post #15

Post by Kenisaw »

Monta wrote: Number Of Iraqis Slaughtered In US War And Occupation Of Iraq "1,455,590"

Perhaps China or Nth korea or Russia should nuke US before it kills another 1,455.590?
The US didn't kill 1.4 million people, and you know it. You will of course then claim that it is still the fault of the U.S. because anything that happened after the invasion is a result of the U.S. action. In that case let's just go all the way back to Mohamed and his wars as the first cause of all those effects, shall we?

DanieltheDragon
Savant

Post #16

Post by DanieltheDragon »

WinePusher wrote: Nuking Japan effectively ended WWII. A major reason why America decided to nuke Japan was that the Japanese, at the time, suffered from the same type of suicide bombing martyr"ism" that the Muslims currently suffer from.

People still continue to debate the pros and cons and dropping Nukes on Japan, and whether it was the right way to end WWII. Obviously nuclear weaponry is an affront to humanity, and I would prefer a world where nukes didn't exist, and I do support nuclear disarmament campaigns.

However, Muslim terrorism isn't going away. Nothing the west is doing seems to be working. If the use of nuclear weapons was able to end WWII, would it be able to end Muslim terrorism?
Almost all current terrorism is homegrown. So unless you suggest nuking British French and American cities this will be ineffective. Moreover the blowback would likely induce a new wave of terrorism.

Secondly the nuclear radiation would not just devestated the Middle East but countries surrounding it to like Isreal, India, China, Japan, and the phillipines. As the radiation cloud will disperse and carry on the wind.

I suggest watching barefoot gin. An Anime written by a survivor of one of the bombs we dropped on Japan. Praised for its unflinching and brutally honest portrayal of what nuclear weapons do.

The weapons we have now are on an order hundreds of times more devastating than what we hit with Japan. The bombs used on Hiroshima and Nagasaki are primitive by today's standards.

Seeing as how this is politics and religion what does that say of your religious beliefs to think of using such a weapon is an option?

I though Christianity was about love and peace, the golden rule, turn the other cheek. Not raw unbridled violence. Some crazy people in our country shoot up a nightclub and you want to go nuke a country on the other side of the world. Likely killing instigators of terrorism and many other innocents in the surrounding areas.
Post 1: Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:48 am Otseng has been banned
Otseng has been banned for having multiple accounts and impersonating a moderator.

Monta
Guru

Post #17

Post by Monta »

[Replying to post 16 by DanieltheDragon]

"I though Christianity was about love and peace, the golden rule, turn the other cheek. Not raw unbridled violence. Some crazy people in our country shoot up a nightclub and you want to go nuke a country on the other side of the world. Likely killing instigators of terrorism and many other innocents in the surrounding areas."

Quite right.. There are those who call themselves Christians but are not as Jesus warned us in the Gospels. Killing His children of another color and other religion besides Christianity is not His way.