Christianity in America

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

Izumi Koushirou
Student

Christianity in America

Post #1

Post by Izumi Koushirou »

I was reading an intersting article a couple of minutes ago, and I wanted to get people's opinion on it:

http://www.exilemm.com/e08-atheism.shtml
Christian involvement in politics as Christians is relatively recent development. We perceived no need for Christian involvement per se, because our nation and all its people were Christian in substance from the first colonies in the United States until the World War I Era.

With the advent of Communism in Russia's 1917 Bolshevik revolution, a competing world view emerged. Communism was explicitly atheistic - it recognized no truth, law or power beyond its own. Communism was also by nature "totalitarian," which is defined as "an authoritarian form of government demanding the complete subservience of the individual to the State" (OED). These words, and the concepts they represent, held derogatory meanings for generations of Americans. But recently, "atheist" has lost its descriptive sting for many of our fellow citizens, and "totalitarianism" is now a word seldom spoken or written by the main contributors to our nation's political discourse. This is not because the reality the word represents has faded; rather, the opposite has occurred. The reality of "totalitarianism" has become ubiquitous and the word has therefore lost "denotative reference" in describing governments; in a similar manner that the word "divorcee" is no longer useful in describing a particular woman, because it fails to distinguish her from a multiplicity of others [1].

Communism denies God and preaches atheism. Communism disdains ideas and teaches materialism. Communism diminishes the individual and exalts the collective. Communism abolishes freedom and endorses totalitarianism. Communism is antithetical to every idea and value expressed in the Declaration of Independence and Constitution of the United States.

Communism was foreign to American soil, and probably would not have taken root here, except for the circa 1890 decision to allow huge numbers of immigrants to enter the United States and become citizens. But native-born Americans soon decided that enough was enough. In 1917, Congress imposed an English literacy test for immigrants, over the veto of Woodrow Wilson. In 1921 and 1924, Congress passed immigration restrictions that assigned to each nationality a quota proportionate to its contribution to the American stock as then constituted [2]. The laws worked; from 1925 to 1950, the total number of immigrants to the United States was less that in the single year 1907. The demographic attack on American Christianity was over, at least, for a while.

Apparently, though, the people's decision came too late. Among the many immigrants already transplanted were significant numbers of non-Christians, atheists, anarchists, communists and communist sympathizers. During this century's first two decades, the time and place of communism's ascendency, Europe was a gigantic incubator for these beliefs. Christian Americans were largely unaware of their harmful presence because such transplants, then small in number, feared the dominant Christian culture and acted secretly.

During the 1920's, certain communist/anarchist activities in the United States were exposed. Revisionists coined the discovery a "Red Scare." But Communism's most significant inroads into American culture then occurred. The most significant of these was the atheist and communist infiltration of academia and media, specifically the publishing and entertainment industries.

By the 1950's, revisionism was no longer necessary. Atheists were writing the "first draft" of history. They described Congressional investigations of Alger Hiss and other Communist spies as "McCarthyism." They decried Congressional investigations of Communist infiltration of Hollywood as the "Blacklist." They have always portrayed the antagonism to Communism, rather than Communism itself, as being shameful.

Because they succeeded in controlling the institutions that influence how people think, there has followed quite naturally a conversion of our nation's culture from Christian to Atheist. As Christ was rejected, Marx, Darwin and Freud were embraced.

By 1956, academia was working towards redefining government and politics in atheistic terms. In Robert Dahl's "A Preface to Democratic Theory," he writes:

"Historically, the case for political equality and popular sovereignty has usually been deduced from beliefs in natural rights... the logic of natural rights seems to require a transcendental view in which the right is "natural" because God directly or indirectly wills it... such an argument inevitably involves a variety of assumptions... at worst impossible to prove to the satisfaction of anyone of positivist or skeptical predispositions." [3]
Actually, natural rights requires a single (not a variety of) assumption, namely, that God exists. The existence of God is not impossible to prove to "positivists" or "skeptics," who may eventually relinquish their reasonable doubts in favor of believing in God. But truly, as a matter of definition, the existence of God and natural rights are impossible to prove to an atheist, for as soon as he accepts them as proven, he ceases to be an atheist. Circa 1956, Dahl preferred to couch this discussion in the contexts of "positivists" and "skeptics" because these labels were more palatable than "atheist," which was, as previously noted, a term carrying a quantum of opprobrium.

Since atheists don't believe in God or natural rights, they disagree with the statement that men are "endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable rights, and that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness." This proposition, [4] found in the Declaration of Independence, isn't good enough for Robert A. Dahl and his ilk because Robert A. Dahl and his ilk aren't merely "positivists" or "skeptics," but Atheists. For Dahl's benefit, philosopher John Locke was an empiricist - and Locke stated that all men were deserving of toleration except for one kind - the Atheist. [5]

"Atheism" remains an unpopular belief in the United States of America- most people would consider it someone's "dirty secret." But as far as law, government and public policy is concerned, atheism is now our "established religion." Indeed it would be difficult to distinguish our government and laws from a nation's whose official religion was "atheism." Christian prayer and symbolism has been banished from our nation's schools and public places. Since the government has expanded to control or fund most of our society's institutions, the Christian religion has been expunged from everywhere except the home, and perhaps, a few remaining churches. And since government and law also shape people's attitudes, the substance of atheism is becoming less offensive and more acceptable to the American people. More and more of them are now becoming functional atheists, i.e., not attending church regularly, not celebrating the religious meaning or our holidays; not converting others to the Christian faith, not reading the Bible or praying in their individual lives.

Today, atheism has seized complete control of two of our most important non-governmental institutions - academia and the media. These institutions are designed to shape and control people's minds and attitudes. The "media" may be defined as the six conglomerates controlling the major television channels, film studios, newspapers and news magazine, e.g., Time/Warner, Disney, Viacom, News Corporation, plus the New York Times and Washington Post/Newsweek.

For the most part, the media is controlled by non-Christians who are antagonistic to Christianity. [6] As a result, the media portray Christians unfavorably and Christian thought and culture are largely censored from publication.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Footnotes:
[1] Similarly, "Bribery" and "Usury" are two ugly words that have almost disappeared from usage. Ironically, this is because the political and financial crimes they signify are not extinct but prevalent.
[2] Oscar Handlin, The Uprooted, p.260, Little Brown, 1973

[3] Robert A. Dahl, A Preface to Democratic Theory, University of Chicago Press, p.45 (1956).

[4] According to George Orwell, this proposition is also a prime example of "crimethink". See, "The Principles of Newspeak" appended to his book, 1984.

[5] "Those are not at all to be tolerated who deny the Being of a God. Promises, Covenants and Oaths, which are the bonds of Humane Society, can have no hold upon an Atheist." - John Locke, A Letter Concerning Toleration.
Personally, I think this writer attempts to villafy atheist into something atheists are not. I don't believe in the fruitless attempt to erase the words "under god" from everything.

It makes no sense to nit-pick over things like that. Change the system, and the details change themselves.
I know you�re afraid of us, afraid of change. I didn't come here to tell you how this is going to end. I came here to tell how it's going to begin. I'm going to show them a world without you. A world where anything is possible.

RavEMasteR
Student

Post #2

Post by RavEMasteR »

Excuse me, but I don't think atheism and communism is bad altogether. Communism means atheism because communists don't want another person in power, another person such as God. This was done for them to stay in power. It is not in anyway implying that atheism is as bad a failure as communism is.

And, we can all do good without God. So why the hell is he claiming that atheism is bad?
MY SITE!
"On Judgement Day, the only thing God'll get from me as I take the express elevator to hell, is a big grin and my middle finger!" -- Myself

Corvus
Guru

Re: Christianity in America

Post #3

Post by Corvus »

Izumi Koushirou wrote:I was reading an intersting article a couple of minutes ago, and I wanted to get people's opinion on it:

http://www.exilemm.com/e08-atheism.shtml
"Historically, the case for political equality and popular sovereignty has usually been deduced from beliefs in natural rights... the logic of natural rights seems to require a transcendental view in which the right is "natural" because God directly or indirectly wills it... such an argument inevitably involves a variety of assumptions... at worst impossible to prove to the satisfaction of anyone of positivist or skeptical predispositions." [3]
Actually, natural rights requires a single (not a variety of) assumption, namely, that God exists. The existence of God is not impossible to prove to "positivists" or "skeptics," who may eventually relinquish their reasonable doubts in favor of believing in God. But truly, as a matter of definition, the existence of God and natural rights are impossible to prove to an atheist, for as soon as he accepts them as proven, he ceases to be an atheist. Circa 1956, Dahl preferred to couch this discussion in the contexts of "positivists" and "skeptics" because these labels were more palatable than "atheist," which was, as previously noted, a term carrying a quantum of opprobrium.

Since atheists don't believe in God or natural rights, they disagree with the statement that men are "endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable rights, and that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness." This proposition, [4] found in the Declaration of Independence, isn't good enough for Robert A. Dahl and his ilk because Robert A. Dahl and his ilk aren't merely "positivists" or "skeptics," but Atheists. For Dahl's benefit, philosopher John Locke was an empiricist - and Locke stated that all men were deserving of toleration except for one kind - the Atheist. [5]
This is ridiculous. Natural rights easily falls in line with secular reasoning. Just because we don't believe in God doesn't mean we don't think there are certain rights we are naturally entitled to. Natural rights are supposed to be self-evident. They aren't mean to me self-evident only to Christians.

"
Atheism" remains an unpopular belief in the United States of America- most people would consider it someone's "dirty secret." But as far as law, government and public policy is concerned, atheism is now our "established religion." Indeed it would be difficult to distinguish our government and laws from a nation's whose official religion was "atheism." Christian prayer and symbolism has been banished from our nation's schools and public places. Since the government has expanded to control or fund most of our society's institutions, the Christian religion has been expunged from everywhere except the home, and perhaps, a few remaining churches. And since government and law also shape people's attitudes, the substance of atheism is becoming less offensive and more acceptable to the American people. More and more of them are now becoming functional atheists, i.e., not attending church regularly, not celebrating the religious meaning or our holidays; not converting others to the Christian faith, not reading the Bible or praying in their individual lives.
Interesting. Just after using the constitution's lingo of "natural rights", this article is inferring that the right to freedom of religion isn't one that should be practiced. It's inferring that the government should endorse religion, despite the fact that there are plenty of Americans who aren't Christians, but hindu, buddhist, muslim...

It completely misses the point. Communism is aggressively secular because it doesn't want a struggle for power with the clergy. Communism also implies a community working together for a common good by sacrificing individual liberties. It gives it a greater resemblance to the philosophy of Christianity than the author would probably want to admit.

djchuang
Student

Post #4

Post by djchuang »

RavEMasteR wrote:And, we can all do good without God. So why the hell is he claiming that atheism is bad?
But not all people do good, whether with or without God. You can do a simple statistics check to see that there are many people who do bad, to the degree of winding up in jail, and some who break the law but haven't been caught and prosecuted, and then the average person who even admits to breaking the law or violating her/his own conscience.

The thing about God isn't to make me to do good, for me it is to acknowledge that I do enough bad in light of my own standard for myself, and that God helps me to forgive myself, and a whole lot more.

I don't see atheism as a good or bad thing, it's simply a lack of acknowledging God or God's existence. And in a free country where religious liberty and personal conscience is permitted and supposedly guaranteed in the First Amendment, people can believe whatever they want to.. (they may believe what they want, but they may not necessarily get to act on anything or do anything they want)

djchuang

dj
a place called home www.djchuang.com