What does politics have to do with Religion?

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

paarsurrey1
Sage

What does politics have to do with Religion?

Post #1

Post by paarsurrey1 »

Religion has got nothing to do essentially with Politics.
Religion is for solving the ethical, moral and spiritual issue of the humanity. Right, please?
What politics did Buddha, Krishna, Zoroaster, Moses, Jesus and Socrates etc play?
Regards

paarsurrey1
Sage

Re: What does politics have to do with Religion?

Post #11

Post by paarsurrey1 »

JP Cusick wrote:
paarsurrey1 wrote: Politics is done to gain power in a land. Muhammad never had any ambition or mission to gain power. The Meccans voluntarily were ready to make Muhammad a ruler, but Muhammad refused to accept this offer.

Religion is for solving the ethical, moral and spiritual issue of the humanity.
Muhammad was appointed a messenger/prophet by One-True-God, with a clear message from Him, that was essential for solving ethical, moral and spiritual issues of humanity, like other founders of other great religions, namely Buddha, Krishna, Zoroaster, Moses, Jesus, and Socrates etc. Right, please?
Regards
I was not really trying to say that Muhammad his-self ever tried to be the ruler, but the religion that he started = the religion of Islam has always viewed religion and government as connected.

The best of government needs to a Theocracy or closely aligned with the Theocracy, but of course it needs to be done right.

The Bible tells about a coming Kingdom of God on earth as it is in Heaven = and that Kingdom is a Theocracy, or government of God.

The USA made an ignorant mistake in its first Amendment by demanding the separation of church from State, because that was the beginning of the vast legalized immorality that we have ongoing today.
but the religion that he started = the religion of Islam has always viewed religion and government as connected.
Please quote from Quran to support one's point of view. Quran is the first and the foremost source of Muhammad/Islam whatever the denomination of Muslims.
Regards

JP Cusick
Guru

Post #12

Post by JP Cusick »

paarsurrey1 wrote:
JP Cusick wrote: I was not really trying to say that Muhammad his-self ever tried to be the ruler, but the religion that he started = the religion of Islam has always viewed religion and government as connected.
Please quote from Quran to support one's point of view. Quran is the first and the foremost source of Muhammad/Islam whatever the denomination of Muslims.
Regards
The tradition is supported from the Qur'an but it is best explained as the Islamic Caliphate.

Link here Wikipedia = Caliphate, and it began directly after Muhammad.

I see this political aspect of Islam to be one of its greatest teachings, and certainly it is a big part in Islamic power and growth and sustainability.
SIGNATURE:

An unorthodox Theist & a heretic Christian:

paarsurrey1
Sage

Post #13

Post by paarsurrey1 »

JP Cusick wrote:
paarsurrey1 wrote:
JP Cusick wrote: I was not really trying to say that Muhammad his-self ever tried to be the ruler, but the religion that he started = the religion of Islam has always viewed religion and government as connected.
Regards
The tradition is supported from the Qur'an but it is best explained as the Islamic Caliphate.

Link here Wikipedia = Caliphate, and it began directly after Muhammad.

I see this political aspect of Islam to be one of its greatest teachings, and certainly it is a big part in Islamic power and growth and sustainability.
Caliphate is mentioned in Quran:

[24:56] Allah has promised to those among you who believe and do good works that He will surely make them Successors* in the earth, as He made Successors from among those who were before them; and that He will surely establish for them their religion which He has chosen for them; and that He will surely give them in exchange security and peace after their fear: They will worship Me, and they will not associate anything with Me. Then whoso is ungrateful after that, they will be the rebellious.
https://www.alislam.org/quran/search2/s ... 4&verse=56
*Caliphs

Quran does not mention the features of worldly government as an essential part of the Caliphate. Does it, please?

Regards

JP Cusick
Guru

Post #14

Post by JP Cusick »

paarsurrey1 wrote: Quran does not mention the features of worldly government as an essential part of the Caliphate. Does it, please?
Maybe not a worldly government - but surely a Caliphate means a Theocracy being a Godly government.

That is close enough for me to view religion as an important part of politics.

I see this as one of the most enlightened aspects of the Holy Qur'an.
SIGNATURE:

An unorthodox Theist & a heretic Christian:

2ndRateMind
Site Supporter

Post #15

Post by 2ndRateMind »

[Replying to post 1 by paarsurrey1]

What does politics have to do with religion?

Well actually, quite a lot. For better or worse, religion has a lot to say about morality. For better or worse, so does politics. Both religion and politics want to organise both public and private life for us, according to their conceptions of morality, and along the lines of their particular ideologies. And so, for better or worse, there are considerable spheres of overlap. In certain instances, one could even argue that politics is applied religion.

Cheers, 2RM.

bluethread
Savant

Post #16

Post by bluethread »

paarsurrey1 wrote:
bluethread wrote: Religion is the set of prescribed behaviors that follow from a philosophy, general used to refer to theistic philosophies. Politics is the process of establishing a set of behaviors that are acceptable for a particular population. Therefore, politics is the means by which the people seek to establish a set of behaviors, i.e. religion, for a particular population that follow from their preferred philosophy.
I don't agree with one. An individual following the truthful religion is not doing any politics. Right, please?
Regards

So, "the truthful religion" doesn't have policies? How is it one is to practice this "truthful religion", if there are no policies?

paarsurrey1
Sage

Post #17

Post by paarsurrey1 »

bluethread wrote:
paarsurrey1 wrote:
bluethread wrote: Religion is the set of prescribed behaviors that follow from a philosophy, general used to refer to theistic philosophies. Politics is the process of establishing a set of behaviors that are acceptable for a particular population. Therefore, politics is the means by which the people seek to establish a set of behaviors, i.e. religion, for a particular population that follow from their preferred philosophy.
I don't agree with one. An individual following the truthful religion is not doing any politics. Right, please?
Regards
So, "the truthful religion" doesn't have policies? How is it one is to practice this "truthful religion", if there are no policies?
The truthful religion flourishes in every type of government and it improves and supports every government and state to develop the faculties of its populace, please.
Regards

bluethread
Savant

Post #18

Post by bluethread »

paarsurrey1 wrote:
The truthful religion flourishes in every type of government and it improves and supports every government and state to develop the faculties of its populace, please.
Regards
I didn't ask were it flourishes, or what it improves. I asked HOW it exists without policies. That said, governance is policy, that is why the work of governance is called politics. Now, if "the truthful religion" has not policy itself, how does it improve and supports every government and state to develop the facilities of a populace?

paarsurrey1
Sage

Post #19

Post by paarsurrey1 »

bluethread wrote:
paarsurrey1 wrote:
Regards
I didn't ask were it flourishes, or what it improves. I asked HOW it exists without policies. That said, governance is policy, that is why the work of governance is called politics. Now, if "the truthful religion" has not policy itself, how does it improve and supports every government and state to develop the facilities of a populace?
Is it essential for the Truthful Religion to have a political policy if it supports the state in the secular domain, please?

Regards

bluethread
Savant

Post #20

Post by bluethread »

paarsurrey1 wrote:
Is it essential for the Truthful Religion to have a political policy if it supports the state in the secular domain, please?

Regards
Yes, if nothing else, it's policy is to supports the state in the secular domain. Is that the only policy? If so, it is similar to the divine right of kings. It is just chauvinist dogma without a deity.